Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Nov 15, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #511 of 694
Keep in mind the DACport has quite a bit of hiss if you use sensitive IEMs.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #512 of 694
The Havi B3 Pro1 is pretty hard to drive (easily the most demanding among the IEM's in my collection) but the Slim has enough power and I'm not able to detect any hiss with them....

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #514 of 694
I ordered the DACport Slim from the last drop on MassDrop and was wondering if I have to do anything on my computer besides installing the latest CEntrance driver? I've read about things like ASIO, etc. and was wondering if that was necessary or if it would just cause more problems?

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #515 of 694
  I ordered the DACport Slim from the last drop on MassDrop and was wondering if I have to do anything on my computer besides installing the latest CEntrance driver? I've read about things like ASIO, etc. and was wondering if that was necessary or if it would just cause more problems?

ASIO is the driver. You just need to install the CEntrace driver.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #517 of 694
Looking forward to comparing this with the new Schiit Fulla.

Also curious about the new Objective line.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #519 of 694
So apparently early reports report no audible noise floor with the Fulla 2.  My recent arrival of the KZ ED9 really brought out the noise floor on both the Slim and the HD for me, which was a little bit disappointing.

My DACports might be on their way out once I gather the funds.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #520 of 694
  So apparently early reports report no audible noise floor with the Fulla 2.  My recent arrival of the KZ ED9 really brought out the noise floor on both the Slim and the HD for me, which was a little bit disappointing.

My DACports might be on their way out once I gather the funds.

Well, CEntrance is kinda known for misleading marketing and focusing on things that the stereotypical audiophile tends to ramble about and nails those aspects (even though whether or not it's even audible is still under heavy debate), while leaving out things that the stereotypical audiophile does not fuss over (even if they are clearly audible when done wrong, no debate from anyone). :p

If what they achieve is what you want, then it is undoubtedly one of, if no the best products out there for your needs. If not...then there's a lot of ambiguity. I have no doubt that the team is capable of creating great products. However, I cannot say I have built any trust towards them during my past interactions, and I will never give them the benefit of doubt.

Also, about early reviews of the Fulla 2. Keep in mind that early reviews of the DACport Slim also claims that it is the creation of God Himself, with no flaws, and not even the slightest of noise in its ink black background, so much that sensitive multiple-BA driver IEMs like the notorious SE846 cannot pick up anything at all.

I would recommend just not getting anything new at all, or at least wait a year or two after people no longer feel (as) pressured to only talk positively about a product without being attacked. I still can't hear much of a difference between my iPhone and my DACport, neither can my friends. Still curious about this "night and day" thing people keep talking about. :p

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #521 of 694
Keep in mind that early reviews of the DACport Slim also claims that it is the creation of God Himself, with no flaws, and not even the slightest of noise in its ink black background, so much that sensitive multiple-BA driver IEMs like the notorious SE846 cannot pick up anything at all.

Haha, yeah definitely.  It's going to be some time before I make any purchases though, since the HD 6XX has gouged out my wallet pretty hard already.  I was browsing /r/headphones and a couple of Schiit Fulla 2 posts came up.  Someone, who I know has previously tried the DACport HD/Slim, put his ATH-IM02 on the Fulla 2 and said:

As requested below, with the IEMs I tested – including the ATH-IM02 which is my most sensitive to noise IEM – no noise floor issues even being powered by the computer.
Just tried it with my IM02 (which I've used with the DACport HD), no noise floor issue, even running just through the laptop's USB power. May need to be careful with the volume, though!

Originally Posted by U-3C /img/forum/go_quote.gif 
I still can't hear much of a difference between my iPhone and my DACport, neither can my friends. Still curious about this "night and day" thing people keep talking about. :p

The Slim is great as a dongle DAC/AMP, and slips into the case I bring around very easily.  I too, can't usually tell the difference except when comparing it to my XPS 13(which has one terrible, noisy headphone output).  However, at my desktop I think having the Fulla 2 with it's more desktop-oriented form factor would be better.  A physical volume knob is super handy, and with my HD 6XX's imminent arrival I think there will actually be a benefit of having an amp.

I do feel a little bit bad selling my DACports though since CEntrance has given me a lot of support for them and sent me the HD since the Slim simply was continuously buggy with my desktop.  Unfortunately most of my stuff is efficient and that_noise_floor leaves a little to be desired.

Waiting for more reviews on the Fulla 2, anyways.  Maybe I'll get around to purchasing one when ZReviews(yeah, I follow that dude, fite me) does a bit more of an in depth look.  Do some comparisons with my DACports.  Then something's getting sold because I don't need 3 dac/amps.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #522 of 694
  Haha, yeah definitely.  It's going to be some time before I make any purchases though, since the HD 6XX has gouged out my wallet pretty hard already.  I was browsing /r/headphones and a couple of Schiit Fulla 2 posts came up.  Someone, who I know has previously tried the DACport HD/Slim, put his ATH-IM02 on the Fulla 2 and said:

The Slim is great as a dongle DAC/AMP, and slips into the case I bring around very easily.  I too, can't usually tell the difference except when comparing it to my XPS 13(which has one terrible, noisy headphone output).  However, at my desktop I think having the Fulla 2 with it's more desktop-oriented form factor would be better.  A physical volume knob is super handy, and with my HD 6XX's imminent arrival I think there will actually be a benefit of having an amp.

I do feel a little bit bad selling my DACports though since CEntrance has given me a lot of support for them and sent me the HD since the Slim simply was continuously buggy with my desktop.  Unfortunately most of my stuff is efficient and that_noise_floor leaves a little to be desired.

Waiting for more reviews on the Fulla 2, anyways.  Maybe I'll get around to purchasing one when ZReviews(yeah, I follow that dude, fite me) does a bit more of an in depth look.  Do some comparisons with my DACports.  Then something's getting sold because I don't need 3 dac/amps.

Looking forward for your feedback!

I originally wanted to build my own O2. Not because I need it, but because I just wanted to have some fun. Now everybody is spilling out new products, even distributors  of the O2 themselves. :p

This will be one fun winter walking with a not-so-heavy wallet......

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #523 of 694
Hello, I bought a dacport hd and I have it setup with Windows 7 64bit. I have it set on high gain and the headphones are Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohms. The issue is I can't get music running in winamp or vlc player or amazon music program no matter what I do. Then I noticed it works through Windows Media Player. I have same issues with sound in most games, which simply has no sound. I don't understand as it is perfectly fine with my DT880 connected directly to pc..

The default sound device in Windows is set as dacport hd so I'm not sure what the issue is. I have the latest stable update centrance 7.4.19 installed and restarted my computer multiple times since. Is it a compatibility issue with dacport and Windows applications? If so, I will have to return it for refund. These same applications work fine when I plug the headphones to my pc directly rather than through dacport hd. Driving me insane!!

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #524 of 694
Hello, I bought a dacport hd and I have it setup with Windows 7 64bit. I have it set on high gain and the headphones are Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohms. The issue is I can't get music running in winamp or vlc player or amazon music program no matter what I do. Then I noticed it works through Windows Media Player. I have same issues with sound in most games, which simply has no sound. I don't understand as it is perfectly fine with my DT880 connected directly to pc..

The default sound device in Windows is set as dacport hd so I'm not sure what the issue is. I have the latest stable update centrance 7.4.19 installed and restarted my computer multiple times since. Is it a compatibility issue with dacport and Windows applications? If so, I will have to return it for refund. These same applications work fine when I plug the headphones to my pc directly rather than through dacport hd. Driving me insane!!

This should probably go in the DACport HD thread.  But nevertheless, what are your sound settings?  I found setting the sound to 384khz in windows breaks a lot of compatibility with programs.  Set it down to 32/192kHz and everything should work great.  384kHz is completely overkill anyway.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #525 of 694
This should probably go in the DACport HD thread.  But nevertheless, what are your sound settings?  I found setting the sound to 384khz in windows breaks a lot of compatibility with programs.  Set it down to 32/192kHz and everything should work great.  384kHz is completely overkill anyway.

You are right! That fixed it! One question: What difference would 192kHz vs 384kHz even make as far as sound quality is concerned? Humans don't have that powerful ears to pick it up, no? Is it just for marketing purposes?

I realized I posted in wrong thread right after I posted here so I put it there afterwards. I should have deleted it from here but ah well :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back