Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Oct 16, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #481 of 694
Will this work with a Chromebook or do drivers have to be installed?

Sadly, custom drivers are required with XMOS, and the drivers have been quite a pain, especially with Windows 10. On Windows 7, it's okay. I just need to replug it every time my computer wakes from sleep.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #482 of 694
Sadly, custom drivers are required with XMOS, and the drivers have been quite a pain, especially with Windows 10. On Windows 7, it's okay. I just need to replug it every time my computer wakes from sleep.

I don't have any issue with the DACport Slim and my Windows 10 computers/devices - not sure if this may help, but check your USB settings and make sure suspend mode/sleep is disabled. If it helps, great, if not, it was worth a shot!

Good luck!

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #483 of 694
I don't have any issue with the DACport Slim and my Windows 10 computers/devices - not sure if this may help, but check your USB settings and make sure suspend mode/sleep is disabled. If it helps, great, if not, it was worth a shot!

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback!

Before, CEntrance was very confident with a new driver they were testing. Unfortunately, they say issues showed up after the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I don't know what issues they have, but since they decided to delay the promised release, I'll assume it's for a good reason. This seems to be the case with multiple dacs from different brands so I won't blame them. However, it just makes me want to avoid the update on my Windows 10 PCs even more. :frowning2:

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #484 of 694
Thanks for the feedback!

Before, CEntrance was very confident with a new driver they were testing. Unfortunately, they say issues showed up after the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I don't know what issues they have, but since they decided to delay the promised release, I'll assume it's for a good reason. This seems to be the case with multiple dacs from different brands so I won't blame them. However, it just makes me want to avoid the update on my Windows 10 PCs even more.
frown.gif

No worries, and good luck.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #485 of 694
  Got a question for all of you.... I have the Dacport Slim for work. I have to have closed cans for work and I have decided on the Beyrdynamic DT770's. I just can't decide if I should get the 80 ohm version or the 250. Anyone have a suggestion?

Ok guys I am going to answer my own question..... I have a friend that had a set of the DT770 250 Ohm that let me borrow them. The Dacport Slim does run them but as far as how well I am not sure. You really have to roll the dial deep to get decent listening levels. I would say a good standard listening volume is about 85% on the Dacport... They are even bearable to listen to with the dacport wide open it's just a little loud. I would assume the dacport HD would be much better suited for running them. Compared to my HD650's they are not nearly as loud so even though they are 50 ohms less than the 650's they seem like they require more power. If I was going to get some DT770's to run off of the slim it would definitely be the 80 ohm version. I am not really sold on the DT770 250's anyways. They are clean and detailed but sound really really thin in the mids and have very little bass. I have heard the 80 ohm DT770's have a bit more bass... Might be a better all around headphone to get if you don't have at the very minimum a Schiit stack to run them. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #486 of 694
Anyone experienced mushy bass on the Slim? I got mine recently and as much as I like mids and highs presentation bass-heavy tracks left me wondering if this is a device limitation/signature or perhaps my USB port isn't up to snuff. I'm using it with NAD VISO HP50s, at times it feels there is too much bass which could be a good thing if it was well defined and punchy but it is not. Should I invest in a powered USB hub?

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #487 of 694
  Anyone experienced mushy bass on the Slim? I got mine recently and as much as I like mids and highs presentation bass-heavy tracks left me wondering if this is a device limitation/signature or perhaps my USB port isn't up to snuff. I'm using it with NAD VISO HP50s, at times it feels there is too much bass which could be a good thing if it was well defined and punchy but it is not. Should I invest in a powered USB hub?

I never experienced that with any of the headphones I used.  Maybe that's just how the HP50s sound.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #488 of 694

I never experienced that with any of the headphones I used.  Maybe that's just how the HP50s sound.

Somehow I can no longer reproduce this effect at least to the extent I thought I experienced it, could be related to the fact Centrance driver isn't working very well under Windows XP running on circa 2002 hardware (yes, I know...) or perhaps it was just late at night and my ears were not taking it. The real bummer is that I wanted to use it at work but our corporate antivirus blocks the driver installer.

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #489 of 694
Spent more time with the Slim, including placing it upstream of my O2 and I actually like the sound better when the O2 drives the headphones, the highs feel less edgy and overall the sound is noticeably smoother. Playing Spotify 320kbps, W7 laptop this time. It is interesting that I previously came to a similar conclusion when comparing the O2 and a DACMini CX, maybe I just like the O2 signature, or the lack thereof, better. Oh well, the Slim is still awesome for what it is.

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #490 of 694

Maybe it's the pairing. But, Centrance doesn't have that defined sub-bass as I get from PCM chips. Sometimes I do crave that bass.

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #491 of 694
Will this work with a Chromebook or do drivers have to be installed?

Yes. This should work using the regular USB Audio 2.0 specification.

I have only encountered issues with Windows. The other OSes, Chrome, Linux and MacOS, just work.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #492 of 694
After a couple of days can't get to love the highs now. I don't know how to describe it but they sometimes feel over emphasized and thin at certain frequencies, and the "s" in vocals is more pronounced than I'd prefer. Will give it a bit more time to "burn in" and maybe for my ears to get used to the sound, but so far I'm slightly disappointed.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #493 of 694
It seems I can get some improvement by manually matching sample rate to that of the source material which is 44.1 kHz for Spotify premium in my case, by default it was 192. I understand the latest drivers match sample rate automatically, but I'm stuck with the old driver for now. Still a tad too bright to my taste but sounds cleaner than before. I wonder if this is just a general limitation of USB powered amps on a chip. Just bought a Emotiva Little Ego on the bay, it will be interesting to compare both when I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back