Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Jan 19, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #541 of 694
1/4 rings a bell and I think it is correct but I have to think about it a bit more. Regardless, it would seem that you'd want to use a pot with resistance similar to your headphones that combined with the headphones would still present a load to the amp that's within its specs. 50k is probably more for passive volume controls before amps that have high input impedance, impedance of headphones is relatively low and usually changes with frequency and voltage will drop across the pot on frequencies where impedance is the lowest effectively robbing you of them.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #542 of 694
Yeah I've only been testing for a couple hours so far.  Definitely need a bit more eartime through the pot.

Did a bit of googling and came across this tidbit:

So I would assume at 50% volume it'd be 50k/4.  Which is still a lot.  Ah, oh well.

Think of it this way: many people love to pair the HD6## with amps with high output impedance to"drive them properly" because it changes the sound and clearly that means it's driven properly! :p

As long as it sounds good, it's good. Different people have different properties. Don't let other people enforce their preference on you.

Adding an impedance adapter is a very common way of getting rid of a high noise floor.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #544 of 694
I've lost count of times when something that sounded good on first try didn't sound as good in the long run.

So in the end, it doesn't sound good. :wink:

In this case, it didn't sound good to begin with as the noise was so distracting. Best address the elephant in the room first, no? ^_^

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #546 of 694
Well as expected of my noob modeling skills the DACport's cutout was a wee bit too tight.  I ended up doing some tweaks on the model.  Better durability, vents, dimension tweaking, etc.

There is a still a top panel.  Looks like it didn't render out the edge in this particular instance.  Oops.

Also looking around the interwebs for new pots.  You can tell how inefficient the 50k pot is with low impedance IEMs.  Unfortunately the lowest dual-gang pot seems to be 1k.  Hrm.

edit: measured the cheap in-line volume control cable extender and it appears to be a 1k pot.  Guess that will have to do.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #548 of 694
Never had anything like that. Try another computer or USB port or cable. Also make sure no phones or whatever are nearby.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #549 of 694
Functioning prototype!!!  Yay!  The outer cover seems a bit misaligned.  Probably my fault since I had to tweak the base a lot.  I will probably fix and re-print overnight.

Reeks of DIY on the inside lol.  Zip ties result in a very secure 1/4" jack and hot snot makes the pot stay in place.

Surprisingly weighty.  I can turn the pot and the device stays in place.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #550 of 694
Nice! As for 1k being the lowest pot, you could build a custom discrete attenuator with whatever resistor values you want, even a fixed single value will provide some improvement over stock. Or you could have several levels selectable by a switch. But if 1k pot works for your purposes so be it.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #551 of 694
I'll have a look at that.  I'm a computer science major so electronics, modeling, physics, and basically everything I'm doing right now is pretty much self-learned haha.

The top cover actually had no issues besides some 3D printing tolerances.  I glued the pot at an angle on accident.  Here it is fully assembled with the knob.

edit: I need new pots.  I should've figured generic ones off ebay were pretty bad LOL.  For some reason moving the solder pads sometimes makes the channel start at a super loud volume.  I've soldered a ton of R/C stuff before so I know it's not cold solder joints.

edit 2: I can change the channel imbalance by pushing the pot sideways lmao.  Time to go pot shopping.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #552 of 694
  I'll have a look at that.  I'm a computer science major so electronics, modeling, physics, and basically everything I'm doing right now is pretty much self-learned haha.

The top cover actually had no issues besides some 3D printing tolerances.  I glued the pot at an angle on accident.  Here it is fully assembled with the knob.

edit: I need new pots.  I should've figured generic ones off ebay were pretty bad LOL.  For some reason moving the solder pads sometimes makes the channel start at a super loud volume.  I've soldered a ton of R/C stuff before so I know it's not cold solder joints.

edit 2: I can change the channel imbalance by pushing the pot sideways lmao.  Time to go pot shopping.

So you took and CEntrance Slim and made it into Schiit Fulla 2, better buy Fulla then 
tongue.gif

JK... I love DIY and it's a wonderful attempt. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #554 of 694
So... the Schiit Fulla 2.  How does it stack up?

It stacks pretty well.

But seriously now, how does it compare to the DACport?

Well I can tell you that there's a noise floor on the Fulla 2 when nothing is playing.  It is, however, slightly lower than the DACport Slim/HD's noise floor.  Maybe 1/3 less.  But it comes through without a doubt on my KZ ZS3.

The lowest pot setting on the Fulla 2 also puts out a low volume of music through the headphone out.  You need to have really efficient cans or IEMs though to hear this.  I couldn't hear it with my T50RP or HD 6XX.

The channel imbalance on my Fulla 2 is pretty bad.  By the time both channels were balanced on both my T50RP and HD 6XX(both considered power hungry cans!!), it was above my preferred listening level(8-8:30 on the Fulla 2).  My particular unit has the left channel increasing in volume a lot faster than the right channel.  Of course, put on my KZ ZS3(efficient @ 18ohms) and it's enhanced even more.  Very disappointing, getting a pot this bad.  It's so bad that I'm considering asking schiit for a replacement.

Fulla 2's headphone out also seems to be susceptible to some sort of RF.  I had a kindle w/ Wifi on as well my phone in relatively close proximity to the Fulla 2 and there were some audible ticks.  Turned both off and it went away.

Fulla 2 gets a little warm.  But if you've had the DACport Slim on a hot day, the Fulla 2 is nothing when it comes to heat output.

Sound?  Well it's only been an hour or two at most so I need more time to form an opinion.  But I think the DACport Slim sounds a bit fuller.  The Fulla 2 seems every so slightly more thin.  Needs more testing.  Which I am not looking forward since the channel imbalance is a pita.

Oh yeah, the DACports are also so much smaller.

If you showed me a DACport Slim and a Fulla 2 as my only two options and told me to pick one, it would be the DACport Slim at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back