Review: Cavalli Liquid Lightning
Jun 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #181 of 312
Bought the HD800 in December of 2009 and ordered my SR-009 in April 2012, so 2 years and 4 months. If I were to take into consideration the value of my time, plus the losses when selling equipment, I'd have been much better off just going with the SR-009 from the get-go.

Quote:
Took me 5 years of muddling around with various headphones and amps to realize it..you got there in 3 by the looks of it. :)

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #182 of 312
^Except the 009 wasn't around in 2009.
... and the SR009 will eventually be surpassed with a new model.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #183 of 312
On your headfi journey, don't get too wound up in the mechanics of it all.
And take time out to smell the roses.

i.e. enjoy the journey. It's not the end but the road that's travelled.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #184 of 312
Not necessarily. End of Stax rumors and all that. 
wink.gif

Quote:

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #185 of 312

All true and fine, but I used the SR-009 as an example given today's breadth of headphones. I should have said that once an end game rig is devised, and if the financial resources exist, just go for it.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #186 of 312
Checked FedEx and it appears I'll get my LL on Saturday. Thanks Alex!

Edit:: It now appears it will be delivered on Tuesday. No problem, as I wouldn't have had much time to spend with it this weekend anyway,

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #187 of 312
I received my LL yesterday. Overall, a much larger and heftier affair than the LF, it came in top-notch packaging.

It's evident that Alex took good note of some of the LF criticism, both design and build wise. Gone are the Christmas tree lighting, powder coating and perspex windows, and in is a refreshingly minimalist (by comparison) design sporting a thicker and anodized front panel. On the rear, the power inlet is centered. With its base 14" depth, allowing at least 4" for to power cord clearance might pose an issue for those of us using a 3-pole audio rack. There are both single ended and balanced inputs, switchable from the back.

For the brief duration that I listened last night using my SR-009, the LL ran warm, but not hot. The noise floor was undetectable to these ears, though in all honesty some ambient noise in the room was present. My particular unit came with 100 hours, and Alex mentioned that about 200 hours is when the amp will start sounding its best. Right out of the box the LL had some resemblance between it the LF with good dynamics, tight and deep bass and holographic vocals. Much like it's been said that the LF+LCD-3 combo has a tactile feel to bass, such are the vocals of the LL - textured, live, being there. Like you can reach out and touch the singer (presumably on an acceptable place such as the shoulder). A minor qualm, which I hope will go away with burn-in, or my brain adjusting to the LL, is that mids were a tad too warm, and pushed forward. Highs were fast and detailed, as expected. The sound stage was decent, but I felt it a bit congested when compared to my Resolution Audio C50 speaker amp + Woo Audio WEE. Please note that I said "when compared to", as it's definitely not bad on its own. This, however, is something I've experienced with other setups and tended to settle down with burn-in, so I'm giving it some more time before forming a critical opinion.

Overall, my initial impressions are positive, and I'll post back once it has reached 200 hours of use.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #190 of 312
^ With all that heat to dissipate, I think I'm going to make a schott mod to the LL. Replace the top cover with schott CERAN glass and make it double up as a kettle heater. Seeing how it won't fit in my audio rack, I'll put it somewhere in the kitchen.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #193 of 312
A quick follow-up post now that my LL has a few more hours on it -

Even though I haven't had a chance to listen over the last few days, I've left the LL on burn-I'm duty, and by now it has about 20-30 hours in addition to the 100 it already came with. As I had hoped, the soundstage has started to widen, instrument separation is getting better and the overall dynamics seem noticeably improved. This isn't my brain adjusting to its sound, as I haven't spent a single minute listening to the LL since my last impressions. The C50+WEE sounds the same, only the LL seems to have improved. I am very happy with the direction in which its sound appears to be maturing, and at this point I don't see myself wanting to use the WEE combo over the LL.

For example, on Patricia Barber's "Company", the percussion has tremendous amount of detail, something that in retrospect was missing when listening through the LF+LCD-3. It completely invalidated my concerns of insufficient bass on the SR-009. Overall, PRaT is about as good as I could expect short of a much more expensive speaker setup or a live performance.

To be continued once more hours have accumulated.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #194 of 312
Thanks for the preliminary impressions. The LL sounds very promising!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back