Review: Cavalli Liquid Lightning
Jun 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #169 of 312
Nice! Looking forward to your impressions.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #170 of 312
I know you were thinking of getting one later in the year, but are you getting antsy itchy now? On the other hand, you should be getting your BHSE soon, as your order was part of the 2nd batch, no?

Quote:
I wonder if he's manufactured the entire batch of LLs yet.  I'm hoping not every unit is spoken for already.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #171 of 312
Quote:
I know you were thinking of getting one later in the year, but are you getting antsy itchy now? On the other hand, you should be getting your BHSE soon, as your order was part of the 2nd batch, no

Yeah. my BHSE order is part of this batch, but it might still be two to three more months away.  Justin's doing 5 groups of eight units and a sixth group of five units, adding up to a full 45 units; I'd be in the 5th group, and he's currently working on building the 3rd group, with about a month between each shipment, putting my ETA at about August.  I'd ideally like to grab up the LL before the entire first batch sells out.  The other issue is that I don't know how many units Alex is making.  I'll have to drop Alex an e-mail and figure out the specifics, but I'd want to finalize my purchase in mid-July or sooner.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #172 of 312
I'm just wondering what the run schedule for the LLs will be as there might be one in my future. Totally jealous of you guys with an LL and BHSE on order. Really looking forward to hearing comparisons.

Quote:

Yeah. my BHSE order is part of this batch, but it might still be two to three more months away.  Justin's doing 5 groups of eight units and a sixth group of five units, adding up to a full 45 units; I'd be in the 5th group, and he's currently working on building the 3rd group, with about a month between each shipment, putting my ETA at about August.  I'd ideally like to grab up the LL before the entire first batch sells out.  The other issue is that I don't know how many units Alex is making.  I'll have to drop Alex an e-mail and figure out the specifics, but I'd want to finalize my purchase in mid-July or sooner.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #173 of 312
Quote:
I'm just wondering what the run schedule for the LLs will be as there might be one in my future.

I approve.

Also, don't be jelly.  From reading your Head-Fi posts, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you'll ultimately fold and just buy it.  So, I'm sure you have an LL and a pair of SR-009 in your future.  If you've so much as considered it, it'll eat away at you until you finally decide to do it.  We're alike in that way.  We both lack self-control and we're both surrounded by enablers.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #175 of 312
Haha. Well many have said I should just give up and go for it, but I'll have to hear it for myself first. 9k isn't exactly the smartest thing to spend blind. 
wink.gif

The HD800s are now my favorite cans so in a few weeks when Alex gets his 009s I'll be comparing my LF + HD800 to the LL + 009. Whichever I like more will be the one that ends up in my home. Simple as that.

Trust me, you enablers won't be in the dark for long after I know. 

Quote:

I approve.

Also, don't be jelly.  From reading your Head-Fi posts, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you'll ultimately fold and just buy it.  So, I'm sure you have an LL and a pair of SR-009 in your future.  If you've so much as considered it, it'll eat away at you until you finally decide to do it.  We're alike in that way.  We both lack self-control and we're both surrounded by enablers.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #176 of 312
Quote:
I happen to have this info :wink: . This first batch was a relatively small run, 20 units. There will be a few that are not yet spoken for..dB

Thanks Don.  Always good to hear from a voice of knowledge.  Will you be making it to CanJam this year?

Quote:
Haha. Well many have said I should just give up and go for it, but I'll have to hear it for myself first. 9k isn't exactly the smartest thing to spend blind. 
wink.gif

The HD800s are now my favorite cans so in a few weeks when Alex gets his 009s I'll be comparing my LF + HD800 to the LL + 009. Whichever I like more will be the one that ends up in my home. Simple as that.

Trust me, you enablers won't be in the dark for long after I know. 

The HD800 are a good choice as well, and from what I'm told, they do well with the LF.  I'd eventually like to get a pair of Qualia 010, but the HD800 may be in my future as well.

I suspect once you hear the LL + 009 though, that'll probably seal the deal.  It's... quite compelling, to say the least.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #177 of 312
I took a somewhat similar path; started off with a HD800, then LCD-2, finally -3 (all with a variety of rather good amps), while looking at SR-009 all along. I suspected one was going to be in my future, but for whatever reasons I kept postponing it, thinking that for the little listening I will be doing I might not want to spend all that money.

Then one day I finally bit the bullet and just went with it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I've spent a lot of time tweaking, changing, upgrading - all to the inevitable end. If you think you will end up with a SR-009, and have the financial means to pull it off, there might be better ways for you to spend your time than monkeying around with intermediate setups.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #178 of 312
Quote:
I took a somewhat similar path; started off with a HD800, then LCD-2, finally -3 (all with a variety of rather good amps), while looking at SR-009 all along. I suspected one was going to be in my future, but for whatever reasons I kept postponing it, thinking that for the little listening I will be doing I might not want to spend all that money.

Then one day I finally bit the bullet and just went with it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I've spent a lot of time tweaking, changing, upgrading - all to the inevitable end. If you think you will end up with a SR-009, and have the financial means to pull it off, there might be better ways for you to spend your time than monkeying around with intermediate setups.

^This!

Took me 5 years of muddling around with various headphones and amps to realize it..you got there in 3 by the looks of it. :)

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #179 of 312
Never thought I'd see the day when an LF and HD800 were intermediate. :D

It does make me a bit sad that the entire set up would buy me...Most of the 009s. 

Also on a somewhat related note...Has anyone been able to compare the 727 to the LL yet? Considering the 727 would probably be my 'until an LL'.

Quote:

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #180 of 312
Yeah, I lucked out and went through my journey pretty fast.  HD650 -> HE-6 -> SR-009.  I only got my SR-007mk1 after my SR-009.  That said, I did buy and sell a couple of amps, including an A-gd NFB-11, a Schiit Lyr, a Virtue Audio TWO.2 and a Woo Audio WEE, which is interesting in itself, as I didn't own any high-end amplification until recently.  Ended up taking less than a year to get here though.  When I first started, I remember thinking that I'd never be able to afford an HD800/T1/LCD-2.  My how things change in a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back