Review: Cavalli Liquid Lightning
May 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #136 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That and if the LCD-2 Rev1 bested the Stax O2 MkI then the 009 would have to be leaps and bounds better than the LCD-3 to justify its asking price of $10K(useless without its $5K amp).

The 009 is not useless without a $5K amp. Have you actually read about it from owners? It's more efficient than the O2, and needs significantly LESS amp than the O2 does, not more. The 009 should be perfectly happy on a $1500 GES or SRM-006Tii. This "needs $5K amp or it doesn't work" meme about the 009 is complete and utter nonsense.

May 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #137 of 312
^ Fellow head-fi'er SillySally seems to be quite happy with his SR-009 + SRM 727 combo. Of course, there's also the Smyth Realiser with some fancy PRIRs, he will inevitably add 
tongue_smile.gif

May 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #138 of 312
Quote:
The 009 is not useless without a $5K amp.This "needs $5K amp or it doesn't work" meme about the 009 is complete and utter nonsense.

Corrected the wording to not confuse the meaning.  But yes, the 009 is quite useless without a stat amp :p  The 009 may be more efficient but that has never been an issue.  My KGSS needed -14dB attenuators to be usable.  Usable meaning the first 6 steps on the DACT.  Where the amps lack is in control compared to their dynamic counterparts.  The GES is ok, the KGSS in Kevin's words is better in every way, but still no KGHB which is an end game amp but I've never owned one so I can't say whether it improves on the KGSS enough to compete with say a DynaMite.  Not much point in owning a $5K headphone without an amp that can scale up to it. It would be like buying the 009 and KGBH and using your iPod line out as a source, make more sense?

May 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #139 of 312
Quote:

Corrected the wording to not confuse the meaning.  But yes, the 009 is quite useless without a stat amp :p  The 009 may be more efficient but that has never been an issue.  My KGSS needed -14dB attenuators to be usable.  Usable meaning the first 6 steps on the DACT.  Where the amps lack is in control compared to their dynamic counterparts.  The GES is ok, the KGSS in Kevin's words is better in every way, but still no KGHB which is an end game amp but I've never owned one so I can't say whether it improves on the KGSS enough to compete with say a DynaMite.  Not much point in owning a $5K headphone without an amp that can scale up to it. It would be like buying the 009 and KGBH and using your iPod line out as a source, make more sense?

The O2 craves V swing. The SR-009 is a different headphone, and by most accounts the monster tube amps are just not necessary the way they are with the Omega 2. Spritzer uses a modified SRA-12S with his 009 (350V at least in factory spec) not a T2 destroyer.

May 28, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #140 of 312
Wasn't my experience but if you look at InnerFidelity's measurements... the 009 needs an amp with even more control than the O2 to control overshoot as seen in the 30Hz, 300Hz and impulse graphs.

May 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #141 of 312
I agree, the SR-009 is in no way less demanding of amplifiers than its older sibling and indeed the SR-Omega too.  The sensitivity is up a bit but it's still a punishing load and you need plenty of current to keep the 009 happy.  The drivers can sink just under a watt so they need power.  One of the main issues with the 009 design was cooling the stators as even the slightest change in temperature will alter the D/S gap and thus, change the driver setup. 

While I do enjoy my highly modified SRA-12S the KGSSHV and BHSE have seen most use lately as long as I keep the volume in check.  The SRA-12S operates in deep class A (runs as hot as the sun) and it's basic output stage rolls the top end just enough for me to take the 009 to silly levels without fatigue.  It is still a highly linear amp and Stax chose well back in the day to go with silver mica output caps as they truly are the best there is.  I have plenty of lesser amps scattered around the house and the 009 does not like those.  Even the 007Mk1 is less picky about amps like the Egmont etc.  The brighter than natural voicing is a factor here but so are the high tech drivers.  I just hope the SR-011 will be voiced closer to the 007Mk1 but maintains that stunning build quality. 

May 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #144 of 312
I happen to like the headband on the SR-009. It's very comfortable, and, with its wide pad, the weight of the phones is spread rather thin.

May 31, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #145 of 312
Quote:
I happen to like the headband on the SR-009. It's very comfortable, and, with its wide pad, the weight of the phones is spread rather thin.

agree that the 009's are very adjustable and comfortable....i like the wide band too.

May 31, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #146 of 312
Quote:

I agree the SR-009 is extremely comfortable because of it's headband, I was also advised  it's designed that way for a reason, but it's that extruding part I don't like, that's why I'm wanting one done to my liking. This band I'm hoping to have made from a drawing I've done will probably not work, there may also be headfiers that'll think I'm crazy for trying such a thing, but if I don't try I'll never know.

P.S. Because this thread is about the Liquid Lightning, headfier IanG has one on order and Ian lives a couple of miles from me, when he receives it he said I can try it out with his SR-009's.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #147 of 312
That extension just over the earcups is essential for anybody using them at maximum extension (such as myself) and anybody using them on the smallest setting.  Similar in a way to the break in the SR-007 arc as it is meant to be bent to fit the users head. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #148 of 312
When using the SR-009's headband at it's highest setting that extruding band doesn't stick out that much, but on the lowest it does. My head is smaller than average size and I also shave it so I need to have the setting at it's lowest, because of that, that extruding band sticks out quite a bit. If I'm successful in what I'm wanting I'll post some pictures, but it will probably be 2 or 3 months.

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #149 of 312
So...Alex has old me that when his SR-009s come in within the next 2 weeks I'll be able to hear them on the LL...

While I will certainly be taking him up on the offer I also fear that I'll want to own it afterwards. Because he's so close to me I'll be trying it with my own source and my own music as well...

This is going to be brutal. Wish me luck, guys. Though I hope I don't turn into one of you simply for the sake of my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back