[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
May 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,171 of 1,750
Quote:
I said in a previous post that how long someone has been here doesn't matter, i've been here many years even before you joined but I don't hang on join dates and post and neither should you. You can't assume anything about anybody. You should carefully reread my post and see what i'm getting at, you like wje, good for you but that doesn't mean he can get by with everything. Case and point, after three pages of arguing and diverting from the statements in my post he finally in his last post in the last three pages of arguing said why he disliked the the hm5s, three pages it took after I said just saying the Phillips was a hundred percent better wasn't a good argument in every single of my post. Only judge people by what they post and not about what you personally know about him so maybe you should put bias aside and reread his and my post from a neutral standpoint. And I said I was done arguing about it, please don't bring it back up or this can and will go on longer than it should.

I agree with this.. %100 better seems like ignorance does it not?

May 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,172 of 1,750
Quote:
I agree with this.. %100 better seems like ignorance does it not?

Funny - how can you agree on it if you have not heard the HM5, nor the Uptowns, yet you can say that he's probably wrong/ignorant?  Puzzles me.  I'd keep an open mind until I'd actually heard both.  I will be looking forward to hearing the Uptowns at some stage.

May 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,173 of 1,750
Quote:

Funny - how can you agree on it if you have not heard the HM5, nor the Uptowns, yet you can say that he's probably wrong/ignorant?  Puzzles me.  I'd keep an open mind until I'd actually heard both.  I will be looking forward to hearing the Uptowns at some stag

Alright, Ill travel to best buy once I get my hm5s. Also, do you sometimes wonder if the demo is actually a better pair than what is being sold? Demoing an item that is far superior in quality than what the item is supposed to be is a good marketing strategy don't you think? If I was a company owner that was power/money hungry and wanted my headphones to be heard I would make a super nice pair and have them demoed at major retailers and ask a hefty sum for the said headphones that are not as good as the demoed version. I believe its called marketing strategy. Ive learned it from my moms work who does jewelery etc... They spend much more money on the light and the demo product to make it look more/feel more appealing than what its actually worth.

May 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #1,174 of 1,750
Quote:
Alright, Ill travel to best buy once I get my hm5s. Also, do you sometimes wonder if the demo is actually a better pair than what is being sold? Demoing an item that is far superior in quality than what the item is supposed to be is a good marketing strategy don't you think? If I was a company owner that was power/money hungry and wanted my headphones to be heard I would make a super nice pair and have them demoed at major retailers and ask a hefty sum for the said headphones that are not as good as the demoed version. I believe its called marketing strategy. Ive learned it from my moms work who does jewelery etc... They spend much more money on the light and the demo product to make it look more/feel more appealing than what its actually worth.

It is scamming but what do they care? Its a major company that cares only about money.

May 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #1,175 of 1,750
Quote:

Would be quite a bad marketing ploy long term though.  Once word got out that they weren't as good, your sales (and price you can command) would nosedive.  I've worked in sales & marketing for 25 years.  Unless you planned on being a "fly by nighter" - you wouldn't take the risk.

Let me know what you think of the Uptowns - I'm genuinely interested.  Unfortunately where I am, the chance to demo headphones is few and far between
wink.gif

May 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #1,176 of 1,750
Quote:

Would be quite a bad marketing ploy long term though.  Once word got out that they weren't as good, your sales (and price you can command) would nosedive.  I've worked in sales & marketing for 25 years.  Unless you planned on being a "fly by nighter" - you wouldn't take the risk.

Let me know what you think of the Uptowns - I'm genuinely interested.  Unfortunately where I am, the chance to demo headphones is few and far between
wink.gif

Yeah, I will have to travel about 20miles to Idaho Falls to demo them which sucks but hey at least it gives me a good reason to go to olive garden!

May 8, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #1,177 of 1,750
Wow, I come back and this thread has 23 unread posts. What the heck is going on here? I love my AD2000s. There were some people who bought them and sold them immediately after. These things happen. I remember there being a Head-fier who preferred some AKG DJ headphones even though they had tried other more expensive and "better" ones. Others need HE-6s and a Darkstar. Brooko said he thinks some Shure's are better than the HM5. I would take the HM5 over the Shures. So what?

May 8, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,178 of 1,750
Quote:
Wow, I come back and this thread has 23 unread posts. What the heck is going on here? I love my AD2000s. There were some people who bought them and sold them immediately after. These things happen. I remember there being a Head-fier who preferred some AKG DJ headphones even though they had tried other more expensive and "better" ones. Others need HE-6s and a Darkstar. Brooko said he thinks some Shure's are better than the HM5. I would take the HM5 over the Shures. So what?

Lol, yeah this thread turned out to be kind of like a personal debate.

May 8, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,180 of 1,750
So, I've been comparing the 8400 to the HM5 for the past few weeks. Unfortunately, I got rid of both.

I think the HM5 has a very generous amount of goodies included, and is fantastic for the price, I just didn't like the "echoing" sound.

May 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #1,181 of 1,750
Quote:
So, I've been comparing the 8400 to the HM5 for the past few weeks. Unfortunately, I got rid of both.

I think the HM5 has a very generous amount of goodies included, and is fantastic for the price, I just didn't like the "echoing" sound.

Funny I didn't notice the "echo" sound at all when comparing these to HE-300s, but now I hear it a lot if I'm try to listen to music on these. Any thoughts on how the 8400 and HM5 compared? I've always been curious.

May 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #1,182 of 1,750
Quote:
Funny I didn't notice the "echo" sound at all when comparing these to HE-300s, but now I hear it a lot if I'm try to listen to music on these. Any thoughts on how the 8400 and HM5 compared? I've always been curious.

Well, someone in this thread mentioned something about "echoing through a concrete tunnel" or something along the lines of that. And at first, I kinda laughed. But after listening to the 8400 and then going back to the HM5, I noticed how incredibly strange the HM5 sounded. It plays some sort of mind trick, because it's got a really weird effect that goes on. They really did sound quite amazing at first, but then they started to turn on me for some reason. But I think most users will find them good enough, especially for the price.

Just to get this out of the way, I'll mention comfort real quick. The HM5 is heavier and has more clamping force, (even after a HD650 type stretch of the metal adjustors) while the 8400 has quite possibly the worst designed headband of all time, yet, THE most comfortable earcups for a closed headphone. Sound wise was kind of interesting, because they both sounded substantially different for both being quite flat. Like I mentioned, the HM5 sounded flat out weird next to the 8400, as if the soundstage had more emphasis on just L and R as opposed to everything in between. So 8400 wins in that regard. But the HM5 had more of a "complete" sound, while the 8400 left a dry taste in my mouth, while being just a teeny smidgen too bright at points and lacking bass presence. As complete packaged, it would be an extremely tough decision deciding between them, from my experiences (including factoring in comfort). But one thing is for sure, both are an outstanding value, with the HM5 topping the 8400 in that regard with spare cables, pads, and a case.

May 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #1,183 of 1,750
Most people who don't enjoy HM5s are either people who want more bass (from these neutral phones) or those who like intimate-sounding headphones.
As long as you are neither, you won't be disappointed like them.

It seems because of the lower price tag, more people bought HM5s out of mere curiosity instead of their sound signiture, unlike the FA-003s. Besides, FA-003/HM5s have lost their FOTM status, so head-fiers move on to the next thing. In my opinion, it's actually a good thing there are people who hate the HM5s, because that just puts these headphones right up there with all the other good (high-end) headphones.

I don't think there's one product out there that is good enough for everybody, regardless of what some people will have you believe.

May 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #1,184 of 1,750
Quote:
Most people who don't enjoy HM5s are either people who want more bass (from these neutral phones) or those who like intimate-sounding headphones.
As long as you are neither, you won't be disappointed like them.

It seems because of the lower price tag, more people bought HM5s out of mere curiosity instead of their sound signiture, unlike the FA-003s. Besides, FA-003/HM5s have lost their FOTM status, so head-fiers move on to the next thing. In my opinion, it's actually a good thing there are people who hate the HM5s, because that just puts these headphones right up there with all the other good (high-end) headphones.

I don't think there's one product out there that is good enough for everybody, regardless of what some people will have you believe.

I actually don't fit in either of those categories. Well, I *can*, but I've become much more flexible in adapting to variations of signatures that stick close to home for me.

I will admit, the HM5's price is very attractive. I mainly bought it because of all the reviews that it (and the FA-003) had that mentioned it was shocking neutral. And I was quite impressed the first few days. I just don't like how it presents the sound, yet, I really like the content. Comfort wasn't quite up to ideal, but I'm extremely picky in that regard. For most, I think it would be perfectly fine both ways (sound and comfort).

True to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back