[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
May 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,141 of 1,750
Quote:
It's more in terms of you saying the hm5's suck while alot of others would disagree with you on the sucking part. And you've been here long enough to see people saying these headphones change the game for headphones of this price, so nothing revolutionary is going to happen because of the Phillips even if they do sound better.

Where did I use the word suck?  I simply implied that for just $10 more, there is a much better headphone to be had.  That's all.  No more, no less.

May 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,142 of 1,750
Quote:

What am I being a shill about?  I've owned the HM5.  I've owned many Grado and Magnum headphones.  I own modified Fostex headphones.  I own HifiMAN headphones.  I bought the HM5 headphones and really couldn't believe what all the rave was about with them.  I had them listed for sale within 24 hours of receiving them.  

If you don't believe me, take your portable player, your HM5 headphones and head to Best Buy.  Plug your player into their listening station and try the Uptowns.  Then go back and forth with your HM5s.  Let your ears decide.  You're a purchaser, who is waiting on your first pair of HM5 headphones to arrive.  You haven't even heard them yet.

Life is too short to live with mediocre sound.  You'll see - just $10.00 more for a real great pair of headphones.  No waiting 2+ weeks on a delivery.

Well, I guess it's just personal preference. But saying that the "Uptowns" are %100 better is being a little over exaggerating. Also, in what way are they better? Please be more specific instead of claiming they are %100 better, because that just makes you sound like a shill. Get what i mean? :)

May 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,143 of 1,750
Wje knows his stuff so I wouldn't argue with him.  I have no disagreement at all that they are better sounding.  They for sure have more bass, I can tell you that.  The mids/highs might sound a little cleaner as well but I am not sure about detail.  Just look at the reviews on Amazon that the other Phillips products got.  There is not one review that is under 4 stars I don't think on any of them.  I still want to keep my HM5 because their isolation and comfort are unbeatable.  I like their looks and removable cables as well.  But the Uptowns look very tempting.

May 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,144 of 1,750
Quote:

Where did I use the word suck?  I simply implied that for just $10 more, there is a much better headphone to be had.  That's all.  No more, no less.

Quote:
Well, I guess it's just personal preference. But saying that the "Uptowns" are %100 better is being a little over exaggerating. Also, in what way are they better? Please be more specific instead of claiming they are %100 better, because that just makes you sound like a shill. Get what i mean? :)

basically this, don't let my post count fool you i've been on head fi for awhile well before the redesign, it's going to take more than saying the phillips is a hundred percent[really?] better than a pair of headphones that's highly acclaimed on headfi. also you whole posting tone about the hm5's says you believe they 'suck' ans you only having them for 24 hours.

May 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,145 of 1,750
Quote:

Here you go.  It's the specs for the headphones based on Philips' write up for them.

[size=1em] High-Definition Drivers for Full-Range Sound[/size]
[size=small] The Uptown headset provides a balanced sound experience. Powerful 40-millimeter drivers produce crystal-clear highs and mids and deep, rich bass without distortion. Their closed-back acoustic design and over-ear build keep you immersed in your music.[/size]

[size=1em] MusicSeal Technology for Music Privacy[/size]
[size=small] Whether you're listening to the guitar riffs of a funk metal band or the lifting soprano of an opera singer, Philips' MusicSeal technology allows you to keep your favorite music all to yourself. This design includes double-layer walls inside the ear shells and a firm seal between the edge of the ear cushion and ear cup housing to seal in beats and prevent ambient noise from disrupting your sound.[/size]

[size=1em] Comfortable Foam Ear Cushions Isolate Sound[/size]
[size=small] The Uptown's noise-isolating ear cushions are made of memory foam, which molds itself to the shape of your ear for hours of comfort. The foam also forms a seal that preserves bass response while blocking out external noise so you can focus on the music. An air-filled, quilted headband adds to your comfort.[/size]

[size=1em] Comfortable Headband and Sturdy Aluminum Construction[/size]
[size=small] The headphones' aluminum architecture keeps them light but sturdy, and an air-quilted leather headband makes for impeccable comfort. The flat, anti-tangle cable won't knot up, improving both listening experience and durability.[/size]

[size=1em] Convenient In-Line Volume and Mic for Phone Calls[/size]
[size=small] For easy operation, the Uptown headphones include a sleek, in-line mic with volume control so you can switch seamlessly from listening to chatting and instantly adjust your sound.[/size]

[size=small] The in-line mic is compatible with iPhone, BlackBerry, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Palm, Samsung, and Sony [/size]

May 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,146 of 1,750
Quote:

Do you really think that I wasn't capable of making my mind up within a day?  I've had so many headphones through my home in the past year, it's crazy.  I can acclimate pretty quick to a pair of headphones and realize if they are a "keeper" or not.  Just wait for some more reviews on the Uptowns.  Many people will quickly realize what a bargain they really are at only $10 more in price.  It's not like I'm here trying to peddle a headphone that costs $200 more than the HM5s, but one that is only $10 - and, that's at the retail level.  It kind of makes one wonder how much profit is being made off of the Brainwavz gear that's sold strictly off of a Web site and the utilization of a warehouse with no retail presence.

Well they are practically the same as the Fischer FA-003, and the Lindy Premiums. Are you saying they too have a warehouse with no retail presence as well? They might not have been here as long as pioneer has been but does that mean their technology is anything less?

May 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,147 of 1,750
Quote:
basically this, don't let my post count fool you i've been on head fi for awhile well before the redesign, it's going to take more than saying the phillips is a hundred percent[really?] better than a pair of headphones that's highly acclaimed on headfi. also you whole posting tone about the hm5's says you believe they 'suck' ans you only having them for 24 hours.

I wasn't judging you by your low post count and time on the forum.  Also, when you look at my post count, I simply didn't make 2,500 posts on the forum here trashing headphones at will.  I've CONTRIBUTED to many thread here for many different headphones.  I'm a heavy contributor in the modification forums and the higher-end forums.  I've created and documented many processes for headphone improvement through modifications.

May 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,148 of 1,750
Quote:
Well they are practically the same as the Fischer FA-003, and the Lindy Premiums. Are you saying they too have a warehouse with no retail presence as well? They might not have been here as long as pioneer has been but does that mean their technology is anything less?

Philips I mean.

May 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,149 of 1,750
Quote:

Here you go.  It's the specs for the headphones based on Philips' write up for them.

[size=1em] High-Definition Drivers for Full-Range Sound[/size]
[size=small] The Uptown headset provides a balanced sound experience. Powerful 40-millimeter drivers produce crystal-clear highs and mids and deep, rich bass without distortion. Their closed-back acoustic design and over-ear build keep you immersed in your music.[/size]

[size=1em] MusicSeal Technology for Music Privacy[/size]
[size=small] Whether you're listening to the guitar riffs of a funk metal band or the lifting soprano of an opera singer, Philips' MusicSeal technology allows you to keep your favorite music all to yourself. This design includes double-layer walls inside the ear shells and a firm seal between the edge of the ear cushion and ear cup housing to seal in beats and prevent ambient noise from disrupting your sound.[/size]

[size=1em] Comfortable Foam Ear Cushions Isolate Sound[/size]
[size=small] The Uptown's noise-isolating ear cushions are made of memory foam, which molds itself to the shape of your ear for hours of comfort. The foam also forms a seal that preserves bass response while blocking out external noise so you can focus on the music. An air-filled, quilted headband adds to your comfort.[/size]

[size=1em] Comfortable Headband and Sturdy Aluminum Construction[/size]
[size=small] The headphones' aluminum architecture keeps them light but sturdy, and an air-quilted leather headband makes for impeccable comfort. The flat, anti-tangle cable won't knot up, improving both listening experience and durability.[/size]

[size=1em] Convenient In-Line Volume and Mic for Phone Calls[/size]
[size=small] For easy operation, the Uptown headphones include a sleek, in-line mic with volume control so you can switch seamlessly from listening to chatting and instantly adjust your sound.[/size]

[size=small] The in-line mic is compatible with iPhone, BlackBerry, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Palm, Samsung, and Sony[/size]

Great, thanks for the reference. Who was this review by may I ask? My klipsch s4s sounded better than my nuforce ne-7ms but they didn't last more than a couple months where my nuforce ne-7ms are still running to this day. The s4s may have been better SQ compared to the ne7ms but the build quality was below par. Whats the build quality of these compared to the hm5s?

May 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,150 of 1,750
They don't totally suck and they're not crazily amazing either. Now that I have headphones that are significantly higher up, I can see their flaws much more easily. They sounded fantastic up until then, despite not being to my personal preference. Glad that I don't have anything to complain about either way because I bought them mainly for utilitarian purposes rather than listening pleasure. I'd really like to try out those Uptowns.

May 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,151 of 1,750
Quote:

I think you've really missed my whole point.  I was speaking from a business sense.  I've had nearly 25 years' experience in the business world.  The point I stated was that when a company with a Web front-end and a warehouse with just a streamlined operation has an excellent opportunity for profit.  Big profits are made off of the sale of the HM5 headphones.  In fact, I'll bet that the profits are some of the largest in the industry right now.  How much to do you  think China is really selling those headphones for?  Whether they're the Fischer, the Lindy or the Brainwavz, the're probably leaving China for about $20.00 per pair and in the box.  All one has to do is work the numbers from there.  Not having a retail storefront means for even greater profit.  One doesn't need to hire cashiers, store security, shift managers, etc. - all extra personnel on the payroll.  A Web presence with a warehouse is very much a streamlined operation and a very great and profitable operation.

May 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,152 of 1,750
Quote:
Great, thanks for the reference. Who was this review by may I ask? My klipsch s4s sounded better than my nuforce ne-7ms but they didn't last more than a couple months where my nuforce ne-7ms are still running to this day. The s4s may have been better SQ compared to the ne7ms but the build quality was below par. Whats the build quality of these compared to the hm5s?

Oh wait! That philips' review is of their own headphones! How convenient! I might as well go buy them right now since they manufacturer says they are pretty amazing set of headphones. Might as well go buy some beats by Dr. Dre while I'm at it since they praise their headphones all over the internet and television like normal sheeple do! Do you have any reviews other than the manufacturers review of their headphones?

May 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,153 of 1,750
Quote:

Where did I imply that what I posted was a review?  I stated that it was the specifications for the headphones directly from Philips.  The build quality is quite a bit better, actually.

I've also owned the Klipsch S4 IEMs, too.  The cable is way too delicate and leads to a very short life for some headphones that do sound really good.

May 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #1,154 of 1,750
I wasn't judging you by your low post count and time on the forum.  Also, when you look at my post count, I simply didn't make 2,500 posts on the forum here trashing headphones at will.  I've CONTRIBUTED to many thread here for many different headphones.  I'm a heavy contributor in the modification forums and the higher-end forums.  I've created and documented many processes for headphone improvement through modifications.

you seem to divert from the main points in my post. I was saying your post count or time or what you heard on the forum doesn't matter if you only support your arguments the way you have been simply by saying it's a hundred percent better and a product page. And you claiming what you have heard or done doesn't mean anything in a argument against a pair of headphone which alot of people on this forum likes and hold to high acclaim, the same people who've been here just as long as you have. Claiming what you've heard doesn't matter either when you only support your argument with what you have.

May 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #1,155 of 1,750
Quote:

I think you've really missed my whole point.  I was speaking from a business sense.  I've had nearly 25 years' experience in the business world.  The point I stated was that when a company with a Web front-end and a warehouse with just a streamlined operation has an excellent opportunity for profit.  Big profits are made off of the sale of the HM5 headphones.  In fact, I'll bet that the profits are some of the largest in the industry right now.  How much to do you  think China is really selling those headphones for?  Whether they're the Fischer, the Lindy or the Brainwavz, the're probably leaving China for about $20.00 per pair and in the box.  All one has to do is work the numbers from there.  Not having a retail storefront means for even greater profit.  One doesn't need to hire cashiers, store security, shift managers, etc. - all extra personnel on the payroll.  A Web presence with a warehouse is very much a streamlined operation and a very great and profitable operation.

Good point, but the main brands of headphones are most likely made from the same mass manufacturer or another mass manufacturer as well and marked up for their name am I right? Its like comparing named brand clothing right? Dolce and Gabana is probably made from the same manufacturer or close to as say Polo Ralph Loren at 2x or 3x the price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back