[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
May 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,127 of 1,750
Quote:
It took about 3 days after that until they left Singapore.  Once they left Singapore, it took about 5 days to reach my house.  SO, shipping wasn't terribly at all.  I was expecting to get them by like the 17th, but I got them on like the 3rd, so just be a little patient.  They are worth the wait, they are fantastic headphones.

I can tell not many of you have heard the Philips "Uptown" headphones yet?  $149.99 @ Best Buy.  Only $10.00 more than the HM5s, yet the sound is about 100% better.  More reviews on these will be appearing as the headphones get ramped up and stocked at more vendors.  BTW, I only paid $119.99 because I had a 20% off coupon.  
wink.gif

May 7, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,128 of 1,750
Thanks for telling me after I just ordered the HM5.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z1J2JI/ref=asc_df_B006Z1J2JI2005819?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B006Z1J2JI&hvpos=2o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15712414961572597875&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

The silver looks amazing.  Now I want a pair.  Hope Mp4nation.net will accept a return.  Can I have the coupon Wje?

May 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,129 of 1,750
Quote:

I can tell not many of you have heard the Philips "Uptown" headphones yet?  $149.99 @ Best Buy.  Only $10.00 more than the HM5s, yet the sound is about 100% better.  More reviews on these will be appearing as the headphones get ramped up and stocked at more vendors.  BTW, I only paid $119.99 because I had a 20% off coupon.  
wink.gif

Stop being a SHILL. %100 better is B.S.

May 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,130 of 1,750
I gotta say... At the moment the HM5s aren't really doing it for me. I feel like they aren't particularly FUN to listen to. I kinda wish they had a little more ommph in the bass. They seem perhaps a little too neutral for me, which is weird cause the M50s had that more fun U-shaped FR but i ended up selling them BECAUSE they had TOO much bass and vocals were recessed. Who knows. I can only hope they increase in bass even slightly. Enough to make them a little more oomph, you know. BTY, I have burned them for about 25-30 hrs. Not even close to 100 hrs as suggested. Can anyone say if the HM5s increased in bass over time. If so did it affect vocals at all?

Thanks.

May 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,131 of 1,750
Quote:
I gotta say... At the moment the HM5s aren't really doing it for me. I feel like they aren't particularly FUN to listen to. I kinda wish they had a little more ommph in the bass. They seem perhaps a little too neutral for me, which is weird cause the M50s had that more fun U-shaped FR but i ended up selling them BECAUSE they had TOO much bass and vocals were recessed. Who knows. I can only hope they increase in bass even slightly. Enough to make them a little more oomph, you know. BTY, I have burned them for about 25-30 hrs. Not even close to 100 hrs as suggested. Can anyone say if the HM5s increased in bass over time. If so did it affect vocals at all?

Thanks.

nope, the whole burn in effect is entirely exaggerated.  Bass quantity and clarity ceases to change after 5-10 hours at most.  The biggest change occurs in the first 2 hours.  At this point, this is the sound your HM5s will produce for the majority of its lifetime.

May 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,132 of 1,750
Quote:
The silver looks amazing.  Now I want a pair.  Hope Mp4nation.net will accept a return.  Can I have the coupon Wje?

Actually, it wasn't a wide-spread coupon code.  It was a coupon that I received in my e-mail due to a previous mobile device purchase, so they offered 20% off any mobile accessory.  Bose, blah, blah, blah was excluded and when the cashier scanned the coupon bar code, it wouldn't deduct the 20% off, even though it was appearing on the register screen.  She then took care of it by doing a manual over-ride.  To me, a pair of headphones with a built in microphone are a mobile accessory.  Best Buy can be pretty stupid at times, though.

May 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,133 of 1,750
Quote:
nope, the whole burn in effect is entirely exaggerated.  Bass quantity and clarity ceases to change after 5-10 hours at most.  The biggest change occurs in the first 2 hours.  At this point, this is the sound your HM5s will produce for the majority of its lifetime.

I can agree with this 100%.  They are pretty horrible at first, but with break-in they are sounding their full potential.  Still very nice for the price, but I recommend the Phillips Uptown's instead of them like Wje said.  I want to get as set.  If Wje says they are 100% better, they have to be pretty amazing.

May 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,135 of 1,750
Quote:
Stop being a SHILL. %100 better is B.S.

What am I being a shill about?  I've owned the HM5.  I've owned many Grado and Magnum headphones.  I own modified Fostex headphones.  I own HifiMAN headphones.  I bought the HM5 headphones and really couldn't believe what all the rave was about with them.  I had them listed for sale within 24 hours of receiving them.  

If you don't believe me, take your portable player, your HM5 headphones and head to Best Buy.  Plug your player into their listening station and try the Uptowns.  Then go back and forth with your HM5s.  Let your ears decide.  You're a purchaser, who is waiting on your first pair of HM5 headphones to arrive.  You haven't even heard them yet.

Life is too short to live with mediocre sound.  You'll see - just $10.00 more for a real great pair of headphones.  No waiting 2+ weeks on a delivery.

May 7, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #1,136 of 1,750
Quote:
Wje, mind letting me test those Uptown's sometime?  I will give you my Beta's and my head I have up for sale here.  Very nice IEMs.

Justin, the Best Buy stores have listening stations.  You can take your portable player right into the store and plug it into the loose jack at the listening station.  On the station where the Uptowns were, they also had the Klipsch Image Ones, the Rocketfish noise canceling headphones, the Philips O'neill, and the Philips Downtown headphones.  I get going through all of them as I thought I wanted the Klipsch Image One headphones.  The Uptowns just sounded so remarkable compared to the rest at the listening pod.

May 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,137 of 1,750
Quote:

What am I being a shill about?  I've owned the HM5.  I've owned many Grado and Magnum headphones.  I own modified Fostex headphones.  I own HifiMAN headphones.  I bought the HM5 headphones and really couldn't believe what all the rave was about with them.  I had them listed for sale within 24 hours of receiving them.  

If you don't believe me, take your portable player, your HM5 headphones and head to Best Buy.  Plug your player into their listening station and try the Uptowns.  Then go back and forth with your HM5s.  Let your ears decide.  You're a purchaser, who is waiting on your first pair of HM5 headphones to arrive.  You haven't even heard them yet.

Life is too short to live with mediocre sound.  You'll see - just $10.00 more for a real great pair of headphones.  No waiting 2+ weeks on a delivery.

I believe in not listening to only one persons opinion. You're against the majority here, and listening to them for less than a day won't help your case, no matter what headphones you have.

May 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,138 of 1,750
Quote:
I believe in not listening to only one persons opinion. You're against the majority here, and listening to them for less than a day won't help your case, no matter what headphones you have.

Do you really think that I wasn't capable of making my mind up within a day?  I've had so many headphones through my home in the past year, it's crazy.  I can acclimate pretty quick to a pair of headphones and realize if they are a "keeper" or not.  Just wait for some more reviews on the Uptowns.  Many people will quickly realize what a bargain they really are at only $10 more in price.  It's not like I'm here trying to peddle a headphone that costs $200 more than the HM5s, but one that is only $10 - and, that's at the retail level.  It kind of makes one wonder how much profit is being made off of the Brainwavz gear that's sold strictly off of a Web site and the utilization of a warehouse with no retail presence.

May 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,140 of 1,750
Quote:

Do you really think that I wasn't capable of making my mind up within a day?  I've had so many headphones through my home in the past year, it's crazy.  I can acclimate pretty quick to a pair of headphones and realize if they are a "keeper" or not.  Just wait for some more reviews on the Uptowns.  Many people will quickly realize what a bargain they really are at only $10 more in price.  It's not like I'm here trying to peddle a headphone that costs $200 more than the HM5s, but one that is only $10 - and, that's at the retail level.  It kind of makes one wonder how much profit is being made off of the Brainwavz gear that's sold strictly off of a Web site and the utilization of a warehouse with no retail presence.

It's more in terms of you saying the hm5's suck while alot of others would disagree with you on the sucking part. And you've been here long enough to see people saying these headphones change the game for headphones of this price, so nothing revolutionary is going to happen because of the Phillips even if they do sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back