[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #991 of 1,750
anther thing i just realized. while the hinges are secure, the area where the hinges attaches to the cups feel a little too wiggly. the cups twist and turn slightly in place. maybe this is just to fit your head better but i don't feel completely confident about it. is this normal or perhaps just my pair?

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #992 of 1,750
no wonder i wasn't that impressed. the mono was on on my iPod. now the sound actually got a lot better. I'm really liking it. hopefully burn in will only make it better. 

Another side note: noticed that the brushed metal face of the left ear cup is sticking out again VERY slightly out but it isn't noticeable to others. not a big deal but for right now my biggest problem is the way the headphones came to me. they are there and feel fine except for those small errors on my pair which keep it from being perfect construction.  

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #993 of 1,750
Thanks for the update... still waiting on my pair like the poster a few posts back, says "despatched to oversees". Hoping mine don't have any build quality problems, but I'm glad the SQ seems better now for you.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #994 of 1,750

Quote:
anther thing i just realized. while the hinges are secure, the area where the hinges attaches to the cups feel a little too wiggly. the cups twist and turn slightly in place. maybe this is just to fit your head better but i don't feel completely confident about it. is this normal or perhaps just my pair?

They are supposed to swivel a bit.  Shame about the other stuff though :/

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #995 of 1,750
Quote:

They are supposed to swivel a bit.  Shame about the other stuff though :/

Gotcha. Yeah i guess im kinda OCD when it comes to headphones. The little errors are so tiny no one would notice but you know still disappointing. Maybe if they ever broke and i needed to use the warrenty they fix my pair up a bit along with fixing what broke it. Hopefully that will never happen.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #996 of 1,750
Received the HM5s recently and am so far impressed. I bought them for an office headphone (where isolation is key) to replace Ultrasone HFi 580s, which I find just way too harsh to listen to for more than 15 minutes. First impression was that the sound was not nearly as aggressive or exciting as the Ultrasones, which is exactly what I was after. Initially detail retrieval seemed worse than the Ultrasones, but it quickly became apparent it was just that the HM5s don't have such exaggerated, piercing treble. After more listening time I'd say detail retrieval is quite a bit superior to the Ultasones, in fact probably on par with the W1000x I have at home, although the HM5 loses in dynamics and soundstage in that comparison.

I noticed that while isolation is generally quite good, they do let in a certain frequency, similar to if you cup your hands over your ears. I opened up the 'phones and would take a guess that is due to the backs being absolutely cavernous with just some felt damping on the back, so a sort of cave effect occurs. I've stuck some dynamat inside the back and put in a little bit of cotton wool as well, and it seems to help a bit but not solve the problem completely.

Overall a decent, neutral sounding headphone. Definitely a relief to hear mids again after the Ultrasones 
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #997 of 1,750
They are pretty good at detail retrieval, at least better than the DT770 pro/silver dragon I A/Bed with.

Quote:
Received the HM5s recently and am so far impressed. I bought them for an office headphone (where isolation is key) to replace Ultrasone HFi 580s, which I find just way too harsh to listen to for more than 15 minutes. First impression was that the sound was not nearly as aggressive or exciting as the Ultrasones, which is exactly what I was after. Initially detail retrieval seemed worse than the Ultrasones, but it quickly became apparent it was just that the HM5s don't have such exaggerated, piercing treble. After more listening time I'd say detail retrieval is quite a bit superior to the Ultasones, in fact probably on par with the W1000x I have at home, although the HM5 loses in dynamics and soundstage in that comparison.

I noticed that while isolation is generally quite good, they do let in a certain frequency, similar to if you cup your hands over your ears. I opened up the 'phones and would take a guess that is due to the backs being absolutely cavernous with just some felt damping on the back, so a sort of cave effect occurs. I've stuck some dynamat inside the back and put in a little bit of cotton wool as well, and it seems to help a bit but not solve the problem completely.

Overall a decent, neutral sounding headphone. Definitely a relief to hear mids again after the Ultrasones 
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #998 of 1,750

Quote:
Status is still DESPATCHED TO OVERSEAS on singpost with no update from USPS.

mine finally made it to the us since march 31 so yours is probably soon as well

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #999 of 1,750
these problems sound very minor to me.

Quote:
no wonder i wasn't that impressed. the mono was on on my iPod. now the sound actually got a lot better. I'm really liking it. hopefully burn in will only make it better. 

Another side note: noticed that the brushed metal face of the left ear cup is sticking out again VERY slightly out but it isn't noticeable to others. not a big deal but for right now my biggest problem is the way the headphones came to me. they are there and feel fine except for those small errors on my pair which keep it from being perfect construction.  

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #1,001 of 1,750
Mine have been released from Customs to Canada Post, hopefully I'll see them in the next couple of days.  Long wait for sure :)

Quote:
mine finally made it to the us since march 31 so yours is probably soon as well

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,003 of 1,750

... First World Problems :)
Quote:
Alright... the status updated.. WHEN THE HELL IS THIS GONNA GET TO MICHIGAN?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back