[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #977 of 1,750

Quote:
Free worldwide airmail, mp4nation.

Takes about 3 weeks to australia...which is closer to hong kong than america. Expect to wait over 3 weeks. I got mine from mp4natio as well...but i opted for fed ex. Took 5 days...

Bad luck :S

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #978 of 1,750
:/ MP4nation says it ships from 3-5 working days after order.... but it has been five and there hasn't been a shipment notification yet.
... Considering it's Chinese New Year Easter holidays, I'm guessing that it'll be Monday or Tuesday before they ship. Bummer... I have no proper headphones (besides my Bose) at the moment Y___Y...
So excited to hear them. I really want to see what this rather hyped neutral sounding headphone is all about. Also will be the first time I use an amp. 

PS. Is it difficult to learn how to fiddle with an amp? 

PPS. Sorry for off-topic. But I'm not really sure where else to blow off some steam.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #979 of 1,750

If I remember correctly, MP4nation was closed this past Wednesday, yesterday (Friday), and will also be closed on Monday. Like you said, expect slow service because of the unfortunate timing of the holiday. I had originally ordered a FiiO E17 from MP4nation three days ago, but I ultimately decided to cancel the order yesterday and to opt for a purchase from a different website that was not shutting itself down for the holiday...

To answer your second question, I am a super-noob on this forum, and I have had no problems configuring a FiiO E10 amp with my system. Neither amplifiers (by which I mean units that are amplifiers only... e.g., the portable E6 or the desktop E9) nor amp+DAC units (e.g., portable E7, desktop E10, portable E17) are difficult to configure. Don't feel like you're obligated to buy a FiiO product, though; they are great little products depending on one's needs, but I only mention these specific models for the sake of example.

What kind of amplifier/possibly DAC are you considering? Would you mostly listen to the HM5 in a portable or home setting?

Quote:
:/ MP4nation says it ships from 3-5 working days after order.... but it has been five and there hasn't been a shipment notification yet.
... Considering it's Chinese New Year, I'm guessing that it'll be Monday or Tuesday before they ship. Bummer... I have no proper headphones (besides my Bose) at the moment Y___Y...
So excited to hear them. I really want to see what this rather hyped neutral sounding headphone is all about. Also will be the first time I use an amp. 

PS. Is it difficult to learn how to fiddle with an amp? 

PPS. Sorry for off-topic. But I'm not really sure where else to blow off some steam.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #980 of 1,750

Quote:
... Considering it's Chinese New Year, I'm guessing that it'll be Monday or Tuesday before they ship. Bummer... I have no proper headphones (besides my Bose) at the moment Y___Y...

Chinese New Year was months ago...It began in Jan...

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #981 of 1,750
Could anyone inform me of the changes in sound noticed during the process of burning in this headphones?
I just got this headphones, and I'm pretty interested in seeing how the sound changes during the process of burning in.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #982 of 1,750

Quote:
Could anyone inform me of the changes in sound noticed during the process of burning in this headphones?
I just got this headphones, and I'm pretty interested in seeing how the sound changes during the process of burning in.

I didn't hear ANY difference and I'm at around 200hrs now. Burn in is wildly exaggerated here. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #983 of 1,750

Quote:
Chinese New Year was months ago...It began in Jan...

Sorry, I was sleep deprived when I wrote that. I am ashamed /._.\
I realized only after I logged off. Off to edit~ But since it's lolworthy and already quoted I'll just use strikeout.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, MP4nation was closed this past Wednesday, yesterday (Friday), and will also be closed on Monday. Like you said, expect slow service because of the unfortunate timing of the holiday. I had originally ordered a FiiO E17 from MP4nation three days ago, but I ultimately decided to cancel the order yesterday and to opt for a purchase from a different website that was not shutting itself down for the holiday...

To answer your second question, I am a super-noob on this forum, and I have had no problems configuring a FiiO E10 amp with my system. Neither amplifiers (by which I mean units that are amplifiers only... e.g., the portable E6 or the desktop E9) nor amp+DAC units (e.g., portable E7, desktop E10, portable E17) are difficult to configure. Don't feel like you're obligated to buy a FiiO product, though; they are great little products depending on one's needs, but I only mention these specific models for the sake of example.

What kind of amplifier/possibly DAC are you considering? Would you mostly listen to the HM5 in a portable or home setting?

Thanks for the answers :D. I actually wished I waited as well... as the week passed I only grew more impatient and hps started coming on in the classifieds which I was so tempted to buy. Like $100 Lindy.
More importantly, it's good to hear amps are not difficult to configure, however I am quite noob with electronics in general. I actually ordered an HM5 with the FiiO E10, that's why I was asking ^_^;; I haven't done too much research on amps, I'm just hoping it's intuitive. (This was sort of an impulse buy, as you can see. Although I guess it's justified since I really want a pair of normal headphones since my old ones broke. Anyway, I don't really regret ordering, although I wish they'd ship earlier.)

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #984 of 1,750

Quote:

I heard a little more bass and the can gained a more even EQ balance with burn in.  However, these changes were small or at the margin.  You (or at least I) got a fairly accurate feel of their final sound signature right out of the box.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #985 of 1,750
I actually heard slightly boomier bass at first that tightened up over time as well as more extension in the treble. But yeah, given what I've learned since then, I'm certain that it was completely psychological. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #986 of 1,750

Quote:

i heard more bass as time went on. not because I listened to the headphones more either. after 3 days i gave it to my bro and he used them for a long time while i used my d2ks. i put the hm5's on again and the first thing i noticed was more bass. not the feely kind though. just the "heary" kind.
but i remember reading somewhere earlier that they sounded kinda sorta congested. i agree.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #989 of 1,750

Quote:
USPS has the worst tracking ever

I know right? My pair arrived in a few cities away from me on the 2nd and it still says it's in transit. i needed them for piano lessons 2 weeks ago so now i'll have to yet again find a substitute pair of headphones to use for the meantime. I would have gladly paid the extra $ for the Fedex quick option.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #990 of 1,750
Just arrived! just unboxed them and i must say they are a lot smaller than i expected. very lightweight as well. i don't feel a super strong clamp as many have so far but we'll see. tried them out for like 2 minutes and wasn't that impressed so ill wait till they burn in. How much burn in do these need in order to notice differences in Sound? at least 100 hrs?

Side note: slightly disappointed that the brainwavz logo at the top of headband is slightly off center on my pair. not a big deal though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back