[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Feb 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #752 of 1,750
I just listened to many Beatles songs and I could hear no distortion.  All my listening has been with ipod with LOD to Fiio E11 to HM5.  My ipod files are ripped at 320 bitrate...I rip my files for my two channel setup for use with Squeezebox and actual speakers as lossless FLAC, but I don't use my headphones on this setup.  Anyway, my ears haven't heard anything on 320 bitrate mp3 files.

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #753 of 1,750

Quote:
A little premature don't you think?

I have the HM5 and haven't noticed any distortion.  I'd like to know from headphonatic:
 - what's his source?
 - what are his source files (eg properly ripped from CD)?  What bitrate?
 - how loud is he listening?

FTR - I have zero distortion at normal listening levels - HM5 direct from iPhone or iPhone+E11, or desktop with NFB-12.  Portable is all 256aac (originally ripped from CD and transcoded properly using dbaudiopoweramp).  Desktop is all FLAC.  I have Queen's Greatest Hits - and it sounds fine to me.

BTW - the actual review (from TrustedReviews) stated this:

It never said anywhere that the sound was distorted - and he didn't even really call them harsh either.  If he was used to the rolled off treble of some of the Senns - it speaks for itself.  These are not (IMO) harsh or distorted.

Just setting the record straight.

What is a little premature? Whatever you think it is, no, I don't think it is, Brooko. I have a pre-order booked and I'd like to know what kind of product I'm getting.

I asked him if he could provide details on said distortion. The FA-003 thread mirror was labeled as a "initial report" with a source attached for reference. My point in linking the two phones was to see if there were any similar reports considering these are virtually sister headphones. So no, not really considering this is what headphonatic said:

He is somewhat right, the Hm5's aren't very smooth in the upper mids. They are kinda slow in the upper mids, i have had distortion some where in that area.

From the replies, it would seem this is more than likely an isolated incident.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #754 of 1,750

Quote:
What is a little premature? Whatever you think it is, no, I don't think it is, Brooko. I have a pre-order booked and I'd like to know what kind of product I'm getting.  

What I meant was your comment on the previous page ......

"Distortion?? Wat? Did you all buy these new? How long ago? Please provide more details when you can. I may cancel my pre-order!!"

Even the review thay linked to said nothing about distortion.  There has never been any comment about distortion on any HM5 thread I've read, Then along comes headphonatic with one comment - and you're talking about possibly canceling your pre-order?  Like I said - it may be a little premature .......

I don't know what headphonatic's issue is - but I think you'll find the vast majority who've ordered these are really enjoying them - and I don't think it's an issue (speaking from first hand experience).  I hope this helps.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #755 of 1,750
The resulting posts have helped show that it is more than likely isolated with headphonatic. Yours, not really. I'd still like to hear from him to see what he is doing to produce this distortion though.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #758 of 1,750

Quote:
A little premature don't you think?

I have the HM5 and haven't noticed any distortion.  I'd like to know from headphonatic:
 - what's his source?
 - what are his source files (eg properly ripped from CD)?  What bitrate?
 - how loud is he listening?

FTR - I have zero distortion at normal listening levels - HM5 direct from iPhone or iPhone+E11, or desktop with NFB-12.  Portable is all 256aac (originally ripped from CD and transcoded properly using dbaudiopoweramp).  Desktop is all FLAC.  I have Queen's Greatest Hits - and it sounds fine to me.

BTW - the actual review (from TrustedReviews) stated this:

It never said anywhere that the sound was distorted - and he didn't even really call them harsh either.  If he was used to the rolled off treble of some of the Senns - it speaks for itself.  These are not (IMO) harsh or distorted.

Just setting the record straight.

It's nothing too bad, I finally found out it was actually the files that were bad when I tested them out on my friend's speakers, CODE GREEN guys. Other than that the HM5's have no distortion. I listen to 320 kbps mp3's BTW

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #759 of 1,750

Alright, thanks for the follow-up!

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #763 of 1,750
So I take it the upper mid of HM5 is just like what the review from trustedreviews.com said (not overly smooth like sennheiser)? Just another proof than Lindy=HM5, I guess.
----------------------
Now I'm even eager for HM5, previously I'm thinking between Senn HD518 or HM5. In fact, I can save, like 20-22 dollars by going for HM5.
Can't wait!!!

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #765 of 1,750

I listen to flac files and notice no distortion.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back