[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Feb 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #736 of 1,750

Quote:
I also remember Fischer confirming their FA-003 is the same as Yoga CD-880.

So, the following propositions can be made.

Proposition 1. FA-003 = Yoga CD-880
Proposition 2. HM5 = Lindy's

Given the specs and outside appearance, we can have

Hypothesis 1. HM5 = Lindy's = Yoga CD-880
Hypothesis 2. No-brand generic = Yoga CD-880

Then, we can have

Conjecture 1. FA-003 = Yoga CD-880 = HM5 = Lindy's = No-brand generic

Conjecture 1 must be true until strong evidence to prove otherwise; none of which has ever appeared. P.S. I'm really bored that that this must be brought up every 5 pages.

It comes up often because this doesn't happen very often. Sure, any one of us can give examples of similar situations, but none like the 4-5 brands using the same headphone in this instance. Not to mention, they sound rather good. This will undoubtedly bring up speculation when the availability and price differences are as they are. So until this is stickied or made into a comprehensive thread, it is not going away.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #738 of 1,750
I'm just saying it's not going away 
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #739 of 1,750
Well, went down to my local jaycar store today and checked out their digitech premium hifi headphones (ugh, why did they make that the model name???).

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=headphones&form=KEYWORD

Now, they would not let me try them out, something about store policy/germs/catching the ebola virus from someone else's head, blah blah blah.  Utter garbage, as people purchase clothes, glasses, etc.  that other people have tried on in the store.  
Anyhoo, they are totally identical to my hm5's - identical.  Same case.  The package even comes with a replacement set of ear pads.  Cable looks identical, case is identical (only the 3m cable though, so nice getting the 1.5m cable from mp4nation).  The pads were a little squished from being packed incorrectly imo, but I am pretty sure that if I had tried them out then they would have sounded the same.  They just do not have the brainwavz logo on the side.  The big shame is that I get trade price from this store and that brings the price down to only 79 bucks!  No ordering online, 5 mins down the road.  However, no return policy on headphones (due to the germs thing), so even though everything else in the store has a 7 day return/refund, these do not!  Otherwise, I would have bit and tried them to tell for sure.

Life sometimes works like that.

Just goes to show that if I can get them in Australia for that price, someone is making a good profit on these.  If you are willing to bite on these, shipping overseas is $25 while only $7 within Australia.  I love mine, well worth the money.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #740 of 1,750
Should have mentioned....

The cardboard box they come in at Jaycar is IDENTICAL to the Lindy box, just has different distributer name on it (digitech) and the carry case is also identical (just doesn't have the Lindy brand on it).  Little bit disappointed that these other distributers are just rebranding a headphone and sticking their own prices on it.  I know Fischer charges nearly twice as much as what I can pay for them down the street from me (which NEVER happens - items are ALWAYS more expensive here in Australia).  I will definitely be recommending my friends to go to my local Jaycar store and picking up a pair.  I find it VERY hard to believe, after reading the responses from the Lindy rep on avforums.com, that anyone is changing anything on these phones apart from the badging.  

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #741 of 1,750

Quote:
I have been considering these headphones and was wondering if anyone has used these for gaming and if they have, how is the soundstage?

They're fantastic for gaming, I enjoyed them over my Ad700 for Skyrim.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #742 of 1,750
Just remember this review of Lindy by a review site based on UK: http://www.trustedreviews.com/lindy-premium-hi-fi_Headphones_review
I see that the reviewer is rather fond of Sennheiser smoothness (he also do the review on senn 518, 558 and 598, for the same site), so maybe that's why he say the upper mids is not very smooth (not harsh but not smooth either, read the review please).

How do you find the upper-mid of HM5?

I'm very interested on HM5 and still waiting for a shop here to import them, the shop website is saying 'available soon' :D

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #743 of 1,750

Quote:
Just remember this review of Lindy by a review site based on UK: http://www.trustedreviews.com/lindy-premium-hi-fi_Headphones_review
I see that the reviewer is rather fond of Sennheiser smoothness (he also do the review on senn 518, 558 and 598, for the same site), so maybe that's why he say the upper mids is not very smooth (not harsh but not smooth either, read the review please).

How do you find the upper-mid of HM5?

I'm very interested on HM5 and still waiting for a shop here to import them, the shop website is saying 'available soon' :D

He is somewhat right, the Hm5's aren't very smooth in the upper mids. They are kinda slow in the upper mids, i have had distortion some where in that area.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #747 of 1,750
What Beatles songs should I listen to and even better what part of the song should I listen to?  One reason I haven't heard this (besides that I have barely owned them) is that my ears are 45 years old and upper freq hearing of us middle agers isn't all that great.

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #748 of 1,750
Distortion?? Wat? Did you all buy these new? How long ago? Please provide more details when you can. I may cancel my pre-order!!

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #749 of 1,750

Quote:
Distortion?? Wat? Did you all buy these new? How long ago? Please provide more details when you can. I may cancel my pre-order!!

A little premature don't you think?

I have the HM5 and haven't noticed any distortion.  I'd like to know from headphonatic:
 - what's his source?
 - what are his source files (eg properly ripped from CD)?  What bitrate?
 - how loud is he listening?

FTR - I have zero distortion at normal listening levels - HM5 direct from iPhone or iPhone+E11, or desktop with NFB-12.  Portable is all 256aac (originally ripped from CD and transcoded properly using dbaudiopoweramp).  Desktop is all FLAC.  I have Queen's Greatest Hits - and it sounds fine to me.

BTW - the actual review (from TrustedReviews) stated this:

Quote:
However, the sound isn't perfect. The treble and upper-mids lack the ear candy smoothness of some rivals, especially open-back rivals like the Sennheiser HD518. To call it harsh would be overstating the issue, but we found this temperamental treatment of upper mids reduced the sonic comfort of longer listening sessions. It most commonly pops up as an over-insistent quality in vocal tracks. In a warmer, bassier set this might have been easy to ignore, but we noticed it regularly thanks to the altogether more mature sound signature of this pair.

It never said anywhere that the sound was distorted - and he didn't even really call them harsh either.  If he was used to the rolled off treble of some of the Senns - it speaks for itself.  These are not (IMO) harsh or distorted.

Just setting the record straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back