[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Feb 17, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #722 of 1,750
Congrats. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #723 of 1,750
mp4 nation preorder shipping out soon :)  I ordered a pair of these for my friend a while back not thinking how long the preorder would take.  I'm sure he will get a lot of enjoyment out of these cans.  Unfortunately he lives far away so I won't get a chance to listen.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #724 of 1,750
In the HM5 I finally have a pair of headphones with ear cups that fit me perfectly (over my big ears and seal against my head instead of sitting on my ears).  I'm trying to generate a short list of possible upgrade or lateral move headphones to go with the HM5 and I'm trying to find ones with large enough cup sizes : )  The Denon AH-D2000 are headphones I thought I might look into.  Anyone know if the Denon has a cup size and depth as big as the HM5?  If anyone can think of any other headphones with as large as cups as the HM5 I should consider I'd appreciate it.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #725 of 1,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dude this has been discussed a gazillion times. Yoga CD-880 = FA-003 = HM5 = Lindy = Jaycar = etc.

Read. :)

Sorry if this has been hashed out many times.. but is this true? Or confirmed? I was thinking about buying FA-003, but may try one of these if this is true.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #726 of 1,750

Quote:
Sorry if this has been hashed out many times.. but is this true? Or confirmed? I was thinking about buying FA-003, but may try one of these if this is true.

Here were comments from I think the only person who's heard both: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582481/do-brainwavz-hm5-and-fischer-fa-003-use-the-same-drivers/75#post_7995588.

I know you can't compare graphs from different sources, but you can take a look at the Inner Fidelity FA-003 graphs and compare them to the ones kingpage made somewhere back in this thread. There are also some graphs in the FA-003 thread, as well as a lot of other talk and a post from Fischer Audio themselves. Go to the end of it and start reading backwards.

Basically, there is some "evidence," but nothing hard or conclusive. I don't think you'd regret it either way. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #727 of 1,750
Hmm, interesting, I've done some more searching and there is not really any evidence or impressions showing that these are not the same (or extremely similar in sound). Looks like I'll be scooping these up for a good old fashioned headphone shootout (HM5 vs D2000 vs Q40).

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #728 of 1,750
Also just remembered that you'd already posted in the Fischer thread, so part of my comment was kind of useless. Oops, haha.

Quote:
Hmm, interesting, I've done some more searching and there is not really any evidence or impressions showing that these are not the same (or extremely similar in sound).

That's true. Haven't yet heard anybody claiming the negative. Since they are completely manufactured by Yoga, I find it a bit hard to imagine Brainwavz or anyone else really changing them in any way other than sticking their logo on it, even though it's still possible.

Looks like I'll be scooping these up for a good old fashioned headphone shootout (HM5 vs D2000 vs Q40).

Awesome!

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #730 of 1,750

Quote:
Also just remembered that you'd already posted in the Fischer thread, so part of my comment was kind of useless. Oops, haha.

That's true. Haven't yet heard anybody claiming the negative. Since they are completely manufactured by Yoga, I find it a bit hard to imagine Brainwavz or anyone else really changing them in any way other than sticking their logo on it, even though it's still possible.

Awesome!

No, your post was help too, thanks.

Quote:
In this thread Lindy confirms that the HM5 and the Lindy are the same:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/headphones-headphone-amps/1571022-brainwavz-hm5.html

Nice find!

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #731 of 1,750
 Looks like I'll be scooping these up for a good old fashioned headphone shootout (HM5 vs D2000 vs Q40).

the shootout will be welcome.

Quote:
In the HM5 I finally have a pair of headphones with ear cups that fit me perfectly (over my big ears and seal against my head instead of sitting on my ears).  I'm trying to generate a short list of possible upgrade or lateral move headphones to go with the HM5 and I'm trying to find ones with large enough cup sizes : )  The Denon AH-D2000 are headphones I thought I might look into.  Anyone know if the Denon has a cup size and depth as big as the HM5?  If anyone can think of any other headphones with as large as cups as the HM5 I should consider I'd appreciate it.

the design of the cups on the d2000s and the hm5s are different. i own both. the d2000 pads are made to be thinner towards the front and thicker towards the back where sound quality can normally suffer on thinner pads. (not sure if i'm describing that correctly)

but as far as fitting around your ears go. if the hm5's fit, the d2000s fit too. they're just not as deep.
like i said. i own/use both.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #732 of 1,750
Atomik, can you give us any impressions between the HM5 and D2000? No need for a write-up, but anything would be nice.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you did that on the Denon thread.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #735 of 1,750

Quote:
In this thread Lindy confirms that the HM5 and the Lindy are the same:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/headphones-headphone-amps/1571022-brainwavz-hm5.html

I also remember Fischer confirming their FA-003 is the same as Yoga CD-880.

So, the following propositions can be made.

Proposition 1. FA-003 = Yoga CD-880
Proposition 2. HM5 = Lindy's

Given the specs and outside appearance, we can have

Hypothesis 1. HM5 = Lindy's = Yoga CD-880
Hypothesis 2. No-brand generic = Yoga CD-880

Then, we can have

Conjecture 1. FA-003 = Yoga CD-880 = HM5 = Lindy's = No-brand generic

Conjecture 1 must be true until strong evidence to prove otherwise; none of which has ever appeared. P.S. I'm really bored that that this must be brought up every 5 pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back