[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Feb 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #706 of 1,750
It would be great if someone can sell me the spare ear pads, i really need it 
beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #707 of 1,750

Quote:
Regards to volume, I'd much rather get the pot to ~4 (out of 8) to have plenty of leeway in either direction, but on low gain I'm way out of channel imbalance territory, so not a big deal for me.  I could see it being a problem with a higher powered amp, but that's not so much the headphone's fault.  The tradeoff is that they sound better unamped, which seems like a virtue to me.  I don't know that there's any true advantage to having a higher impedance and/or lower efficiency other than that perhaps the hardware is easier to manufacture, and there's no real drive to get it lower because if you're spending a few hundred+ on headphones you're almost expected to use a good amp...which just means you're shelling out more cash.  As you mentioned, if you want to use them with an amp with serious gain, there's the option to add resistance.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

No worries :) I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, just giving a general tip to anyone who might be experiencing the same thing as me.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #710 of 1,750
Feb 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #713 of 1,750
Has anyone had any luck finding velour pads for the HM5s?  I have checked with Frogbeats and they do not sell the FA-003 velour pads separately.  I am hesitant to use gd-audiobase and have stopped short of contacting Fischer directly.  Any advice?

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #714 of 1,750

Quote:
The HM5 is easily available. You can order them internationally from Mp4nation. Plus, the Lindy wasn't yet discovered when the HM5 was launched. 

Let me correct you there. Lindy was discovered way before HM5 not long after FA-003s were available, you can check the a couple of old thread about Lindy's. (I was there from the beginning....so I know)

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #715 of 1,750
That's odd as the threads if anything started earlier with the Lindy's. I don't know if the people who tested them out are from the USA (Please confirm if you are). But these cans have been massively hyped when they are all the same Yoga variants. I even asked the same question at MP4Nation asking for differences and the post was deleted. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #716 of 1,750
Does it really matter?  They're popular because of their performance and value.  You can call it "massive hype" - l'll just continue to recommend them as a great value pair of cans for anyone looking for closed HP with a balanced frequency.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #717 of 1,750

Quote:
That's odd as the threads if anything started earlier with the Lindy's. I don't know if the people who tested them out are from the USA (Please confirm if you are). But these cans have been massively hyped when they are all the same Yoga variants. I even asked the same question at MP4Nation asking for differences and the post was deleted. 

Quote:
I understand but what makes the HM5 so special that it needed a 48 page thread compared to the others. Just curious :wink: 

The Fischer Audio FA-003 has 154 pages "compared to the others". - http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ

Why do people have a lot of interest in the Brainwavz HM5?

A. The same people like the Fischer Audio FA-003
B. For some it's harder to get the Fischer Audio version, and there were times when they were out of stock with a long wait.  Brainwavz were pretty easy to get from MP4Nation or Amazon (through MP4Nation).
C. The Brainwavz are cheaper than the Fischer Audio version.

Call it "massively hyped" if you want, but I think it's just people excited that there is another alternative to get the same headphone (although not proven yet, but most likely) as the Fischer FA-003 without having to go through GD Audiobase or the higher price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back