[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #2,342 of 7,021
I'm definitely going to pick up a set. They seem too good to pass up. I'll get them soon enough. The Auvios are doing me good right now though. The mediums are perfect fit and sound better than the stock. I feel like they are giving me a bit more subbass as well. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2,343 of 7,021
Quote:
Holy crapoli! $35 for a pair of tips? there's no way they'll make that much of a difference, is there?

The fit will determine so much about the sound.  A poor fit on an IEM will result in really bad sound.  The Ortofan tips are popular on Head-Fi.  I personally haven't used them.  Other popular ones are the UE single flange, Klipsch oval (not mentioned much anymore), and Sony Hybrids (of course Comply foam and Shure Olives as well).  No guarantee that these will fit your ASG-2 though.  From what people said the Ortos will, from personal experience the UE will and the Sony Hybrids (Hybrids require some stretching though, be prepared to stretch them to the point they won't function on small nozzles any longer). 

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2,345 of 7,021
Sorry for double posting this, but not everyone here reads the SD3 thread where I first put this up.

A few thoughts after listening to the ASG2 and the SD3.
On tracks like this one: http://www.beatport.com/track/runaway-original/3240216 basically deep house, the bass is much deeper on the ASG2, and it goes real deep, like in the club standing next to the bass speaker deep.It's just insane deep.

Another track: 

So the ASG2 is better right??
Well, yes and no. The SD3 seems to handle it differently because it doesn't go as deep. The bass on the ASG2 sometimes gives the sound a fog, while the SD3 is more neutral in that regard.

and one more:

With this song, the ASG2 handles the subbass very well indeed, not so much the SD3.

But life isn't all subbass, right? I'll try to post some more observations of the two earphones over the weekend.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #2,346 of 7,021
Quote:
I've tried, JVC, UE, Philips, hybrid, aurisonics, auvios, and melecs. Best as far as treble were the UE, stock, and JVC tips.

Are they wide-bored by any chance?  Narrow bored tips tend to attenuate treble while wider bored tips don't. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,347 of 7,021
You know Carlsan, those two songs pretty much convinced me that there is something up with those graphs. The ASG-2s not having subbass seems like a ludicrous idea to me the more I listen to songs that have bass below 60Hz. It may not be the fastest or most resolved but darn does it go that low, and it hasn't missed a beat for me yet.  

I look forward to hearing your further impressions about these two phones. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #2,349 of 7,021
Quote:
You know Carlsan, those two songs pretty much convinced me that there is something up with those graphs. The ASG-2s not having subbass seems like a ludicrous idea to me the more I listen to songs that have bass below 60Hz. It may not be the fastest or most resolved but darn does it go that low, and it hasn't missed a beat for me yet.  

I look forward to hearing your further impressions about these two phones. 

It would be cool if you or anyone else with an ASG-2 could listen to a few sine sweeps. I use NCH tone generator, but I'm sure there are many others. It's been so helpful finding out where peaks in the FR reside so I can pinpoint more accurate eq settings. For example, see how 40Hz sounds in comparison to 150Hz. If 40Hz sounds a lot different in volume then it might give us more info about the nature of Unity's possibly defunct pair. 

Inks if you have Unity's ASG-2 maybe you could run a sine sweep too and let us know how it sounds (although I suspect the measurements are accurate).

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #2,350 of 7,021
Casrlsan, i am not sure what you mean by deep bass but... for me deep bass is when music hits lower notes i am still able to hear clean bass guitar overtones.
for me one of very interesting tests is YES Dreamtime composition which has ramble, intensity and falls fast deep in transient passages.
for bass subtleys test i like Leonard Cohen. and i can put a few more here.

and never forget classics, J.S.Bach church organ works will help you to discover what real bass is all about. there is no more complex and wonderful polyphony than proper pipe organ.

unfortunately the material you posted did not sound to me like bass test :frowning2:
sorry

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #2,352 of 7,021
Quote:

It would be cool if you or anyone else with an ASG-2 could listen to a few sine sweeps. I use NCH tone generator, but I'm sure there are many others. It's been so helpful finding out where peaks in the FR reside so I can pinpoint more accurate eq settings. For example, see how 40Hz sounds in comparison to 150Hz. If 40Hz sounds a lot different in volume then it might give us more info about the nature of Unity's possibly defunct pair. 

Inks if you have Unity's ASG-2 maybe you could run a sine sweep too and let us know how it sounds (although I suspect the measurements are accurate).

Sine sweeps also can create many types of psycho-acoustic effects...  comparing tones may be a different story though :wink: 

Quote:
Only the hybrids are narrow bored, everything else is at least as wide as the nozzle

OK, well people tend to stick to a shape that seals better :wink:

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #2,353 of 7,021
Quote:
Casrlsan, i am not sure what you mean by deep bass but... for me deep bass is when music hits lower notes i am still able to hear clean bass guitar overtones.
for me one of very interesting tests is YES Dreamtime composition which has ramble, intensity and falls fast deep in transient passages.
for bass subtleys test i like Leonard Cohen. and i can put a few more here.

and never forget classics, J.S.Bach church organ works will help you to discover what real bass is all about. there is no more complex and wonderful polyphony than proper pipe organ.

unfortunately the material you posted did not sound to me like bass test :frowning2:
sorry

ASG-2s hit most of the notes in JS Bach's organ works. Perhaps not all of them, but it is still enjoyable, if that cross valve mod ever happens I'm sure I'll be blown away. It Then again, I haven't heard any headphone (when I had the HQ file on hand) that could aside from my friend's cabinet speaker set up. So take that for what you will. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,354 of 7,021
Sorry for double posting this, but not everyone here reads the SD3 thread where I first put this up.

A few thoughts after listening to the ASG2 and the SD3.
On tracks like this one: http://www.beatport.com/track/runaway-original/3240216 basically deep house, the bass is much deeper on the ASG2, and it goes real deep, like in the club standing next to the bass speaker deep.It's just insane deep.

Another track: 

So the ASG2 is better right??
Well, yes and no. The SD3 seems to handle it differently because it doesn't go as deep. The bass on the ASG2 sometimes gives the sound a fog, while the SD3 is more neutral in that regard.

and one more:

With this song, the ASG2 handles the subbass very well indeed, not so much the SD3.

But life isn't all subbass, right? I'll try to post some more observations of the two earphones over the weekend.

I PM'ed carlsan about the ASG 2's and his post for me either means; I'm crazy or my pair really does have problems.

I would prefer the latter but I am ready to accept the former.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2,355 of 7,021
I PM'ed carlsan about the ASG 2's and his post for me either means; I'm crazy or my pair really does have problems.

I would prefer the latter but I am ready to accept the former.

Could be both. We are in this hobby after all... We all have to have at least a few screws loose... Or is that just me...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back