[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,047 of 7,021

Quote:

For me cables do matter and it's made noticeable improvements on all IEMs I used them with. Now exactly how much better the IEM will sound is not limited to just the cable itself here. Ultimately it's gonna depend on the IEM itself and how much it scales up as you remove weaknesses from the chain. I consider IEMs with this ability to be extremely revealing of the source.

I totally agree with this theory about the potential of an IEM to scale depending on the other components in the chain. E.g. if you slap an ultra high-end cable on a cheap low-end IEM, it will probably not show any change in its sound quality. Same if you listen to a sub-$100 IEM on a high-end dac+amp system, you will probably not hear much improvement because the IEM is the bottleneck in that chain.

For "better" to mean anything there needs to be a standard against which the iem is compared. For example, what would the "best" iem sound like? What are the attributes of this "best" iem? This is addressed to bluebear also.

The "best" iem so far to me is the most accurate and best all-rounder, and according to the majority of others' feedback would be 1plus2. This is why I am constantly using 1plus2 as the "ideal" benchmark/yardstick to compare against other IEMs. And of course to ensure it is really the "best" iem for us to use as the yardstick, we have to "prove" that it is the best even without any help from good cabling. This is just my own opinion which I think is the most logical and fair, but I don't insist that everyone out there hold the same ground as me when doing comparison. Everyone has the right to have his/her own view of how to compare IEMs, depending on what perspective they are coming from.

Anyway, there is no point for us to further deliberate and debate on this since the wisest way to find out for yourself is to do the test yourself. Everyone hears things differently because none of our ears are made identical and our age/race/audio training, etc. are all different. Continuing to argue further without actually doing the listening test for oneself is just doing keyboard warrior exercise, making this ASG-2 thread longer and derailing it. I have no wish for that and so does everyone here. I will just go get my hands on the 1plus2 with gold cable and do my own comparison.

If Gavin of Tralucent has actually designed his 1plus2 like the K3003 without removable cable right from the start using his gold/uber cable, things would have been so much simpler. So IEMs with detachable cables can also be a cursed sometimes, because it leaves us consumers with the option to explore other aftermarket cables and create more confusion just for ourselves. 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,048 of 7,021
Quote:
I totally agree with this theory about the potential of an IEM to scale depending on the other components in the chain. E.g. if you slap an ultra high-end cable on a cheap low-end IEM, it will probably not show any change in its sound quality. Same if you listen to a sub-$100 IEM on a high-end dac+amp system, you will probably not hear much improvement because the IEM is the bottleneck in that chain.

I agree. Basically an IEM that shows such changes from cable to cable is revealing of the source. The IEM in this case isn't the weak link but what you are feeding it is. IMO that is a sign of quality. Now whether or not the price is worth it to you is for you to decide.

Quote:
If Gavin of Tralucent has actually designed his 1plus2 like the K3003 without removable cable right from the start using his gold/uber cable, things would have been so much simpler. So IEMs with detachable cables can also be a cursed sometimes, because it leaves us consumers with the option to explore other aftermarket cables and create more confusion just for ourselves. 
normal_smile%20.gif

Honestly I don't see it as a curse. With a non-detachable cable you are screwed if the cable breaks. If you snag it on something or it just wears out. Imagine just wearing out the 3.5 jack from daily usage. At this price point I personally feel a non-replaceable cable is not acceptable. There's just too many variables for things to go wrong. At least having a replaceable cable in the event you break the standard cable you can still replace it and use it even out of warranty. Most importantly for me, having this ability is concerning longevity purposes. It's just a plus that you have options and can further improve the sound. I've never seen that as a con either...

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #3,049 of 7,021
Not to derail this thread further... :rolleyes:
But, reading that sentence about different ears and hearing differently blah blah blah, for the 500th time in EVERY damn thread is wasting my life like you wouldn't believe. I die a little inside every time I read it, again, as part of a post. They should just put it up at the top of every forum thread page and be done with the damn thing. You all want to try managing risk while still making your aggressive points and use it in an attempt to do so, oh so successfully and originally too. For the sake of my sanity, which I'm sure is a top priority here, next time, skip it. Pretty please.

This is directed at everyone and no one.

/rant

I'll have the 1p2 with eVil cable in a few days and will be giving it the old college try.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #3,050 of 7,021
Quote:

Honestly I don't see it as a curse. With a non-detachable cable you are screwed if the cable breaks. If you snag it on something or it just wears out. Imagine just wearing out the 3.5 jack from daily usage. At this price point I personally feel a non-replaceable cable is not acceptable. There's just too many variables for things to go wrong. At least having a replaceable cable in the event you break the standard cable you can still replace it and use it even out of warranty. Most importantly for me, having this ability is concerning longevity purposes. It's just a plus that you have options and can further improve the sound. I've never seen that as a con either...

But can't you also screw the IEM itself if you accidently yank the cable in a bad way and get the pins stuck inside? 
That's always a fear for me with CIEMs.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #3,051 of 7,021
You guys aren't even trying to squeeze "ASG-2" or even a loose reference into your posts anymore. That's just lazy.

Let's at least attempt to keep up appearances.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #3,052 of 7,021
Quote:
But can't you also screw the IEM itself if you accidently yank the cable in a bad way and get the pins stuck inside? 

Put a magnet next to it and try to "pull" the pins out... 
wink_face.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #3,054 of 7,021
Quote:

The only way I'd see that happening is if you constantly bend the Pins of the cable itself to make the IEM fit. This is why I don't like the non-recessed pin design because you may have issues with the pins staying in place. Most tend to bend the cable pins to resolve this. But over time you'll end up doing this over and over. This will weaken the pins and in that can lead to what you say above. As I said I'm not a fan of the non-recessed pin design due to this. But if you don't constantly remove the cable and be sure not to pull the IEM out of your ears via the cable housing, I think things should be ok. In most cases the IEM would just come lose from the cable itself opposed to actually breaking a pin inside the housing.

You can also pinch the cable pins to fix the connection issues. I had to do this with my new pair of 8As sadly.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3,055 of 7,021
Quote:
I'm starting to feel like this thread is getting ridiculously out of control. 204 pages, and only about 10 or so people have actually posted impressions.

Let's stop and take a step back.

Thanks.

As I posted in Pictures of Your Portable Rig, let me say I think the ASG-2 sound great. Does that make me the 11th person with impressions? 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #3,056 of 7,021
You can all come over to the T-Peos H-200 thread if you like? There's no arguing going on over there, very placid relaxed location.

Seriously though, I've seen the thread creator and several other members trying to calm this thread down and keep it on track several times, I'm sure most of you are reading the posts. Please take a step back and reconsider what you're posting. Remember the topic at hand, it is after all a thread for an IEM, if this keeps up moderators may possibly lock the thread rather than take their time to clean it up.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #3,057 of 7,021
Quote:
You can all come over to the T-Peos H-200 thread if you like? There's no arguing going on over there, very placid relaxed location.

Seriously though, I've seen the thread creator and several other members trying to calm this thread down and keep it on track several times, I'm sure most of you are reading the posts. Please take a step back and reconsider what you're posting. Remember the topic at hand, it is after all a thread for an IEM, if this keeps up moderators may possibly lock the thread rather than take their time to clean it up.

I agree. But it's actually a thread for IEMs if you read the title. :wink:

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #3,058 of 7,021

As I posted in Pictures of Your Portable Rig, let me say I think the ASG-2 sound great. Does that make me the 11th person with impressions? 
tongue_smile.gif

Lol impressions need to have at least 3 words. You were close with "sound great," but just missed it. :frowning2: :p

Nice pic. Are those the stock black cables you got?

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #3,060 of 7,021
It's the thought that counts.
regular_smile%20.gif

That didn't work when I was 8 and my parents said it Christmas morning and it won't work now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back