[REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters
Nov 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #226 of 289
[size=medium]Thank you Warren for your thoughts on the AS-2. I am sure Head-fi appreciates you taking time to post your thoughts on them. Warren is a legend and has been a touring musician for a long time guys. He is probably not use to the format and terminology you guys use. I think what he is trying to say is he has used other CIEMs and likes the sound better for him as a pro musician. He is mirroring the comments we get every day from that community. Everyone appreciates your input Warren.[/size]

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #227 of 289
Interesting. It helps that you mention he's had experience with other CIEMs Dale. I wasn't aware of his history as a musician, so the fact that his first post is to chime in on the AS2's came across as a reason to be suspect. Thanks for weighing in.

And Warren, it wasn't my intention to come across as accusatory or unwelcoming! My apologies if you felt that way

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #229 of 289
Quote:
[size=medium]Everyone appreciates your input Warren.[/size]

+1

There's not enough people commenting here on the AS2.
It's understandable ( given the high price, and recent release ) that few own them so far though.
I'd love to hear more of Warrens opinion of the sound, maybe comparisons with any of the other kit he has experience of?
Wadda ya say Warren?

Not that aesthetics are especially high on my 'list of critically important qualities' for CIEM's, but the chrome/polished AS2 has to be the best looking CIEM I've ever seen pictures of.

I briefly owned a pair of Cosmic Ears CIEM's which had a similar approach to driver choice, and I've got to say that I loved them, and I'm really surprised that only a handful of companies take this approach, it really seems to allow for the best of both dynamic/BA worlds.

I also like the cable solution on the AS2, It looks practical and attractive!, most current 2 pin cables look fairly fragile and ugly IMO.

Until I win the Lotto though, I won't be splurging on these, but there's no harm in a little daydreaming?

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #230 of 289
So, AS-2's have a pretty good sale rate, it's been a few months since the initial release and it just happens to be that most the owners are not Head-Fi members but music professionals using them for their work.

The cable is actually just the same type of cable on most big name brands CIEM's. It's made by the same company, same pins and everything. You can order the same cable from Westone as from Aurisonics. 

Tomorrow The ASG-2's AS-1's and AS-2's will be on sale. Check out their Facebook page for details
Quote:
+1
There's not enough people commenting here on the AS2.
It's understandable ( given the high price, and recent release ) that few own them so far though.
I'd love to hear more of Warrens opinion of the sound, maybe comparisons with any of the other kit he has experience of?
Wadda ya say Warren?

Not that aesthetics are especially high on my 'list of critically important qualities' for CIEM's, but the chrome/polished AS2 has to be the best looking CIEM I've ever seen pictures of.

I briefly owned a pair of Cosmic Ears CIEM's which had a similar approach to driver choice, and I've got to say that I loved them, and I'm really surprised that only a handful of companies take this approach, it really seems to allow for the best of both dynamic/BA worlds.

I also like the cable solution on the AS2, It looks practical and attractive!, most current 2 pin cables look fairly fragile and ugly IMO.

Until I win the Lotto though, I won't be splurging on these, but there's no harm in a little daydreaming?

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #231 of 289
Quote:
The cable is actually just the same type of cable on most big name brands CIEM's. It's made by the same company, same pins and everything. You can order the same cable from Westone as from Aurisonics. 

Thanks for that info Kenman, but I can't find the cables on The Westone site, any chance of a further pointer?
BTW, are you talking about the angled plug cable seen on the AS2?

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #232 of 289
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/epic-replacement-cables.html

It's basically all the same thing. Same thing as the stock cables from a few other companies, all with their own slight twist to them. You can order the cable off Aurisonics's website as well. http://www.aurisonics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=124
Quote:
Thanks for that info Kenman, but I can't find the cables on The Westone site, any chance of a further pointer?
BTW, are you talking about the angled plug cable seen on the AS2?

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #233 of 289
Sorry, but the ones I was admiring were the ones seen on the AS2, specifically the ones with the angled connector where they join the monitor.
Do you know if they're available after market?
The only other similar connectors I've seen are the newer Ultimate Ears ones that are also angled, but they're proprietary AFAIK.
Thanks very much for the links though :)

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #234 of 289
Well, I see that the AS-2 thread is back alive & kicking! I have been using my pair for about 3 months now at over 20 hours/week playing sax onstage for a Broadway tour... At one point, I had to return them to have the filters(?) changed out because of a loss of sound in the left ear. During that week, I used a pair of house Shure 215's (?). I really like my Aurisonics, but for the purpose of stage monitoring I didn't find that BIG a difference with those $100+ IEM's. It's hard to be very critical when you're blowing an instrument, drums are blasting next to you, blank gunshots are being fired etc. That being said, I really do appreciate the comfort & fidelity of the AS-2's. I don't believe that they are "overpriced" compared to the flagship models of Ultimate Ears, JH Audio, Heir at over $1,000.

Just to clarify: the Bass port is not an optional feature, it comes standard and is adjustable.

Michel

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #235 of 289
I am not entirely sure. I used to think it was just a product rendering thing but they have renders of products with the regular cable. I would contact Aurisonics. Maybe they got that for special requests.
Quote:
Sorry, but the ones I was admiring were the ones seen on the AS2, specifically the ones with the angled connector where they join the monitor.
Do you know if they're available after market?
The only other similar connectors I've seen are the newer Ultimate Ears ones that are also angled, but they're proprietary AFAIK.
Thanks very much for the links though :)

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #236 of 289
Quote:
Well, I see that the AS-2 thread is back alive & kicking! I have been using my pair for about 3 months now at over 20 hours/week playing sax onstage for a Broadway tour... At one point, I had to return them to have the filters(?) changed out because of a loss of sound in the left ear. During that week, I used a pair of house Shure 215's (?). I really like my Aurisonics, but for the purpose of stage monitoring I didn't find that BIG a difference with those $100+ IEM's. It's hard to be very critical when you're blowing an instrument, drums are blasting next to you, blank gunshots are being fired etc. That being said, I really do appreciate the comfort & fidelity of the AS-2's. I don't believe that they are "overpriced" compared to the flagship models of Ultimate Ears, JH Audio, Heir at over $1,000.

Just to clarify: the Bass port is not an optional feature, it comes standard and is adjustable.

Michel

Just an honest question: don't musicians listen to music outside of performing on stage? What do you use for casual listening if not your AS-2?

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #237 of 289
Quote:
During that week, I used a pair of house Shure 215's (?). <snip> It's hard to be very critical when you're blowing an instrument, drums are blasting next to you, blank gunshots are being fired etc.

Michel. . .  how much of a difference in isolation do you notice between the AS-2's and the Shure 215's?

Terry.

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #238 of 289
Quote:
Just an honest question: don't musicians listen to music outside of performing on stage? What do you use for casual listening if not your AS-2?

Hey anoxy,

You'd be surprised how little music I listen to outside of the show. After 8 (3 hour) shows a week plus practicing, I just want to give my ears a break...!

When the tour is over, I'll bring the AS-2's home :).

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #239 of 289
Quote:

Michel. . .  how much of a difference in isolation do you notice between the AS-2's and the Shure 215's?

Terry.

Now that's where there's a BIG difference in isolation (and also why it's hard to tell what's really happening with the Shure's onstage): There's so much more ambient sound coming in with them, it's harder to distinguish what the Shure's really sound like. Occasionally when the I forget to re-insert the AS-2's, I'm shocked at the level of band sound I used to deal with before I got them...

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #240 of 289
Quote:
Hey anoxy,

You'd be surprised how little music I listen to outside of the show. After 8 (3 hour) shows a week plus practicing, I just want to give my ears a break...!

When the tour is over, I'll bring the AS-2's home :).

I second that.  I'm getting a set of AS-2's so that I can hear more of what's going on in the music while I study.  Also I need the clarity for recording and editing.  I do so little casual listening anymore.  When I do, it's only to change the channel on ye olde internal ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back