REVIEW: Audio-GD Roc
Nov 9, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #287 of 322
Just notice that ROC's End Of Sale date will be Nov 2010.

From Audio-Gd English main page: 

Quote:
 [size=x-small] 8th , Nov.  : These products will discontinued with Nov. :  Reference 9, ST-1, ST-7 , SA-3000, SA-300CN, SA-200 , C-1SE, ROC , ROC-SA  .[/size]

and from the Chinese main page:

Quote:
 [size=x-small] 以下产品将于本月底停售,无后续产品: Reference 9, ST-1, ST-7 , SA-3000, SA-300CN, SA-200 , C-1SE, ROC , ROC-SA .[/size]

It says that there will be no successor product to the above discontinued products.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #288 of 322
Sad to see the Roc go,its a fine amp
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #292 of 322
WOW I'm surprised it's being disco'ed. It's a mighty powerful amp and worth the price.

I still want to try a ROC-SA. It's output power into 600Ohms really interests me. I wonder if it powers everything better than my normal ROC.

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #293 of 322

Quote:
I still want to try a ROC-SA. It's output power into 600Ohms really interests me. I wonder if it powers everything better than my normal ROC.

A mate of mine got the Roc SA a few weeks ago, he's very impressed with it.
The SA is designed to drive orthos headphones and he's actually using a pair of HE5-LE. 
Frank: if you read this, please post your impressions!!

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #294 of 322
I'm here :wink:

For my experience the Roc Sa is a fantastic amp for the money. My source (yamaha cd-s2000, sacd player) provides 2v at Xlr outputs so the technical info about the power of this amp should be diminished. I think this is valid for the other Audio-gd amp as well.

My headphone at the moment is an He-5le and this amp drives it effotlessy and better than my previous amp, a single ended 2 ecc83 and 2 El84 tube amp (modded Doge 6210). And this is not a volume problem now my headphone is much more open, dynamic and clear sounding.

The 2 gain setting is useful and with low gain I think you can drive efficent cans with a decent range of volume control steps. With the hifiman the volume is set on 12 +- 1 hours in low gain and at 10 in high gain. I think it can drive the He6 very well...

The sound is for me on the neutral side, certainly not warm or tubey here. The only thing that is a bit strange is the volume control with relays but I think it offers better sound than normal or stepped attenuators.

Frank

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #295 of 322
I like the stepped volume on the ROC more than normal POT based ones, but I find that sometimes one click up can be too much. Man I want to try the SA version.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #296 of 322

I finally got my case open, and wanted to play with some voltages, but noticed something strange. My in phase channels (both left and right) are 15.75V. My inverted phase channels (both left and right) are 15.15V. Should I adjust the trimpot to make them match, or are they supposed to be this way?
Quote:
Perhaps not many Roc (Phoenix, C-2C, C2) owners know that by changing bias voltage on your headamp you can "tailor" to certain extent it's sound: [size=x-small]raise bias voltage - brighter, snappier sound; lower bias voltage - smoother, meatier sound... I have found this particularly useful with current hungry headphones (orthos, K701...) which "blossom" with lower bias settings (or, at least, they sound better by my personal preferences).[/size]

[size=x-small]So, for DIY inclined Roc owners who want to experiment and know how to use multimeter:[/size]

1. Roc should be turned on and warmed up; no music playing during measurement
  2. multimeter set to 20V DC
  3. black probe (crocodile clip) to ground; red probe (clip) to in phase or inverted phase channel measuring point (there are left and right measuring points for in&inverted channels, but just right channel ones are represented on the picture because both left and right testing points of the same phase should show the same bias voltage)
  4. Roc standard stock bias voltage is ±15V (+15V for in phase channels; -15V for inverted phase channels)
  5. turning the trimpot clockwise - bias voltage increases; turning it counterclockwise - bias voltage decreases
  1. bias voltage can be adjusted in 15V ± 3-4V range depending on trimpot range
  2. in phase channels bias voltage should be symmetrical to inverted phase channels bias voltage (f.e. if in phase bias is set to +17V, inverted phase bias should be set to -17V)

My Roc preferred bias voltage is ±12V. YMMV.

...and, of course, you can not hold me responsible for anything that happens or does not happen to your headamp.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #297 of 322
Guys just got my ROC having problem getting it to work.  I think my connection to the DAC probably is the issue, but I tried to hook it up a few different ways just not able to get it work.  So any suggestions would be great.

DAC: HRT music streamer II+

It basically simply RCA cables, I am using this cable (image below)

Here is my connection:
Senn 650 1/4" plug > ROC (1/4") > ROC (right side IN 2 with red RCA cable) > ROC (left side IN 2 with white RCA cable) > HRT music streamer ll+ (usb) > USB (PC).

Thanks in advance for idea.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #298 of 322
Sorry this may sound elementary, but a few things to check

1. Is it on the correct input selector? It should be on 2
2. Is it in preamp mode? The "preamp" button should be pressed in.

Quote:
Guys just got my ROC having problem getting it to work.  I think my connection to the DAC probably is the issue, but I tried to hook it up a few different ways just not able to get it work.  So any suggestions would be great.

DAC: HRT music streamer II+

It basically simply RCA cables, I am using this cable (image below)

Here is my connection:
Senn 650 1/4" plug > ROC (1/4") > ROC (right side IN 2 with red RCA cable) > ROC (left side IN 2 with white RCA cable) > HRT music streamer ll+ (usb) > USB (PC).

Thanks in advance for idea.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #299 of 322
Thanks, elwappo99 that fix the issue.  I got it used so I don't have the manual so not sure about the selector 1-2-3 and preamp function, thanks once again for the suggestion.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #300 of 322
Sorry to ask such amateur question, can anyone explain the functionality of the ROC selector 1-2-3 and how does the preamp work?  What I meant to ask is, like someone pointed out above pre-amp push in with selector on 2 to have audio coming out, so if the selector is on 1 or 3 how can I make it works?

Thanks for the patience and time reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back