REVIEW: Audio-GD Roc
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #76 of 322
I wish I could post some Roc impressions- I ordered about 2 weeks ago, Kingwa was great with letting me order it with a solid top (and the Ref-3 with 2 optical inputs) but EMS has again screwed things up- it is probably my local Chicago USPS carriers actually. When I ordered before with EMS as carrier, same thing happened and it was returned eventually to Kingwa. Waiting as best I can but DHL for the crap they receive has never let me down.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #77 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick update, after some emails with Kingwa. Basically he said the Roc doesn't sound good! Being a wire with gain what I'm hearing is the source, the Roc doesn't add (or remove) anything to the signal, doesn't increase the soundstage or things like that. Which is a nice compliment to the Roc :)
Zombie_X, have you tried using the the Roc as a preamp with the X-can?

Really? That can't be... I can clearly tell a difference between my rock and my source. I have a Cowon S9 and with and adapter I plugged my dt880's into them and then listened and I must say the S9 sounded brighter with less bass, while with the Roc it was smoother, more refined and the bass was far better.

But if what Kingwa says is true, that means this amp will synergize with a huge range of phones and drive them well without adding anything, which is good.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #78 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? That can't be... I can clearly tell a difference between my rock and my source. I have a Cowon S9 and with and adapter I plugged my dt880's into them and then listened and I must say the S9 sounded brighter with less bass, while with the Roc it was smoother, more refined and the bass was far better.

But if what Kingwa says is true, that means this amp will synergize with a huge range of phones and drive them well without adding anything, which is good.

That's because the Conon S9 doesn't have what it takes to actually make the headphone follow the signal it produces. When you plug the S9 into the Roc, the S9 won't have to provide any power at all (relatively at least), the Roc does that for the S9 in that case and the Roc is capable of taming the DT880.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #79 of 322
I know, I was just saying if it's neutral, it really shouldn't do anything to the sound.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #80 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
S*it! KingWa beat me to it! Here is what I was about to post:

Massimiliano, we can see you are in honeymoon...
wink.gif

...but, I reckon, you are depicting your source, not headamp. Yes, Roc is fast, clear and in firm control of almost any headphone you throw at it, but details, ambiance, stage... this is your DAC you are (re)discovering. It seems your previous headamp wasn't fast and neutral enough to "show" you the real character of your LD DAC. Roc just "opened a window" to it. ...and having details and dynamics even at lowest volume settings is a sign of a good class A implementation.

Good to know though, that you like what you hear. This initial enthusiasm that you are now going through backfired at me: all of a sudden my sources were not good enough... and my wallet suffered yet again.
frown.gif

OK, so I'll move my impressions to the LD Dac_I thread :-D
Anyway, I think I'll upgrade my source in the future, Kingwa said is going to release a new balanced dac to match the Roc

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #81 of 322
Quote:

OK, so I'll move my impressions to the LD Dac_I thread :-D
Anyway, I think I'll upgrade my source in the future, Kingwa said is going to release a new balanced dac to match the Roc

See I heard this too from someone else and when I asked Kingwa he said he wasn't making another DAC. Hrm...

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #83 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, I was just saying if it's neutral, it really shouldn't do anything to the sound.

And it doesn't. You are hearing just the amplified signal that gets out of your S9.

As Helmore stated, S9 has no means of driving properly the load that your DT880 is to S9. The difference between the sound of S9 alone and S9+Roc is in S9's output stage inability to properly control the headphones - it does what it can; and what it can not do - does not get to your ears (or gets distorted; like when you try benching, say, 10-25 Kg more than your max bench is).

Curra has an enlightening blog entry on this subject. Too bad many of us headphone lovers are not familiar with it.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #84 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review!! I'm wondering if you could test some classical music?

Also how do low impedance phones perform with the Roc? Thanks
beerchug.gif

What about IEMs ? What if I have to use it from time to time (night)?
Will I hear any noise or humm or it has totally dark floor-noise in such cases?

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #85 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about IEMs ? What if I have to use it from time to time (night)?
Will I hear any noise or humm or it has totally dark floor-noise in such cases?

I've used my IE8 and they sound GREAT!
No hiss, no background noises, and they really improve compared to the sound I get from the IPod or the laptop. They're now my best "closed" headphones!

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #86 of 322
Quote:

Quick update, after some emails with Kingwa. Basically he said the Roc doesn't sound good! Being a wire with gain what I'm hearing is the source, the Roc doesn't add (or remove) anything to the signal, doesn't increase the soundstage or things like that.

What the Roc does it brings balanced output at a fairly low price. Single ended it brought all the detail through to my SA5k from my Bel Canto. Having the 'phones recabled and reterminated widened the soundstage a lot. A narrow, although fairly deep soundstage is a weakness of the SA5k single ended so going balanced brought them to a whole new level. So it is true that the Roc doesn't add or remove anything but gives both the source and the headphones the chance to sound their best.

I've built my rig with transparency and detail in mind and I'm very happy with it. And the Roc is an important part of it.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #87 of 322
Another update: got a pair of K702s recabled with Black Dragon and balanced today.
Out of the box, they already sound really really good. It will be a long burn-in but level of detail of these cans is awesome. It seems to be a really nice match with the Roc :)

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #88 of 322
^ How is he K702 balanced? I had to mod mine so it had a 4-pin mini xlr jack.

Anyways I noticed they get more bass when balanced. Did you notice the same thing?

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #89 of 322
Has been recabled with dual entry...great job by Drew!
I haven't tried yet in SE mode (I have to find an adapter), but I remember my old K701 was a bit 'bass-anaemic', though I'm not a bass head.
In this configuration the bass is there, I'd not say more than the DT880, but probably in a better quality: it's fast, tight and I'm surprised how easy is to listen the double bass lines during complex musical passages.
Also you can have a look at those graphs:
=73&graphID[]=63]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=73&graphID[]=63
They're clearly two different headphones

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #90 of 322
I just ordered the Audio GD ROC so will have to join you guys I guess. I debated and debated between this and the Little Dot MK VI+ but think I made a wise choice. I really liked the sound of the Purity KICAS but wanted to go balanced with the HD 650 and ordered a balanced 4 pin XLR cable from Headphile Blacksilver. Let the fun begin. Only problem I see is I have to wait until the 24th for it to ship but good things come to those who wait, right? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back