Review: Audio-gd NFB-7
Sep 21, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #16 of 201
Master-6 OMG.

On my shortlist now but want to finish paying for the NFB7 first.
By then the EF6 and the balanced Schilt amps (hopefully with enough power) should be available.

The Roc is shaking with fear.

Happy days
biggrin.gif
but expensive ones.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #17 of 201
Thank You Nigel for the review!

I am also listening to the NFB-7's beautiful soundscape. In my case I use the Master-1 pre and the Master-2 poweramps and a set of decent speakers. The chain is connected with CAST-cables. I fully agree with You about the preferrences (speed, detail, dynamics... ). I listen to all kinds of musik but are "hooked on" very naked acoustic recordings.. and in that scenario the
NFB-7 gives me 100% pleasure. 

Thanks again

/Jan

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #18 of 201
It just keeps getting better and better
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #19 of 201

Quote:
The Sabre32 chip is a more detailed and dynamic chip. All other things being equal it will also give greater percieved speed and a tighter bass.

The Sabre32 chip will appeal more to someone who favours a more vivid, exciting and dynamic sound. If thats not you then thats fine but it is me!
biggrin.gif

Again, these observations aren't consistent with my experience with DACs based on the Sabre32 vs PCM1704UK. For example, the Lite DAC-83 which is based on the PCM1704UK is equal to or better than the W4S DAC-2 and the Oppo BDP-95 in all the areas that you mentioned, plus it provides a better soundstage, better imaging, and a higher level of clarity. I haven't heard the NFB-7, so I can't comment on that, and audio-gd discontinued it.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #20 of 201

at least sth true had been said on the end and in a proper manner too :wink:))
Quote:
I totally agree with people having different opinions about the same product that is why, as I mentioned in my review, that I put more weight on a number of general comments than I do on one long review by one reviewer in one system.
Maybe you should take your own advice and listen yourself to the NFB7 because, after all the reading I did regards different dac chips and their characteristics, it sounds nothing like I expected a Sabre32 chipped dac to sound like.
You don't state which dac's you own so I will assume its one of the Ref series. The Ref 7 shares many similarities to the NFB7 in design and function even Kingwa has stated that they sound similar.
Of the Sabre32 dacs you have heard, the Oppo does not really play in the same ball park as its not designed to be an top class audio player. I almost bought the WFS Dac1 some months ago but I did read that some people say thats its a bit detached and sterile which is what a non optimised Sabre32 implementation could sound like although I do think thats system dependent.

You talk about the good qualities of the 1704 chip but what about the good qualities of the Sabre32 chip. The Sabre32 chip is a more detailed and dynamic chip. All other things being equal it will also give greater percieved speed and a tighter bass.

The Sabre32 chip will appeal more to someone who favours a more vivid, exciting and dynamic sound. If thats not you then thats fine but it is me!
biggrin.gif

As regards to hearing better, well so far I havent managed it. I could not find a CD player up to £4000 thats showed any real improvement on my Cyrus but the NFB7 clearly does.
I have heard a couple of expensive Naim cd players that use the 1704 chip. I used to own a £10000 Naim system many years ago so I generally like the Naim sound but I disliked the CD players.
I would fully expect the Ref 7.1 to sound much better than amy Naim cd player or Dac but it brings me to my point that implementation is whats important. You telling me that the NFB7 is not 'great' is basically a slur on Audio-gd and you are obviously putting ALL Sabre32 dacs in the same boat.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #21 of 201
Its been six months since I got my NFB-7. Was surprised that it was discontinued, Glad I ordered one before that, am going to hold on to it for a long time.

Only downside is that cannot bear to listen to some albums now as i realise their mediocre recording quality now.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #23 of 201

Quote:
Its been six months since I got my NFB-7. Was surprised that it was discontinued, Glad I ordered one before that, am going to hold on to it for a long time.

Only downside is that cannot bear to listen to some albums now as i realise their mediocre recording quality now.

I agree it does make production quality more obvious, however I have yet to play a CD that is unlistenable. Even badly produced ones oftem have some redeeming qualities and if they have the NFB-7 will find them.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #24 of 201
Hello,

I'm still trying to decide between an SA-2 or NFB-7. I've read the impressions on the NFB-7 and love its characteristics of dynamics, speed, and imaging, but can't help but to think if it can match the more natural sound signature of the PCM1704 based DAC. If so I would be completely determined to take the plunge for it. BTW, in a few months, I plan on getting a T-1 powered by a CSP2+.

My music preference range from Hip Hop, R&B, Funk to Jazz of a wide variety.

If anyone has heard a Ref 5.32, SA-2, or Ref 9, can you give some insight what would suit my (soon-to-be) rig?

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #25 of 201
Quote:
Hello,

I'm still trying to decide between an SA-2 or NFB-7. I've read the impressions on the NFB-7 and love its characteristics of dynamics, speed, and imaging, but can't help but to think if it can match the more natural sound signature of the PCM1704 based DAC. If so I would be completely determined to take the plunge for it. BTW, in a few months, I plan on getting a T-1 powered by a CSP2+.

My music preference range from Hip Hop, R&B, Funk to Jazz of a wide variety.

If anyone has heard a Ref 5.32, SA-2, or Ref 9, can you give some insight what would suit my (soon-to-be) rig?

The NFB-7 is a very natural sounding DAC.
It certainly sounds more natural than some Naim DAC'S/CD players or the A-GD REF5.32 that I recently got to hear that all use the PCM1704 chip.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #27 of 201
well I am still using the NFB7. fed by CD7FV. C3 and C1 pre and power. no intention to change to Master 7.

using CAST cables but then power cords and XLR cable are from Japan. I have tried to bring out as much musical detail and texture content thru it, and it works.

it is very piece a audiophile equipment.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #29 of 201
Please compare thd Metrum Quad to the NFB-27. I was about to get the Octave a year ago, but I had my doubts. I've always been curious on how they performed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back