Review: Audio-gd NFB-7
Apr 29, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #137 of 201
  If you like the sound of the NFB-3 (the ES9018 one) and want a more refined version of it, the NFB-7 is the natural choice. It will sound grander, more detailed, smoother and more dynamic. Effortless is the word.

Effortless but edgy and digital 
rolleyes.gif

I'd recommend to save for the Schiit Yggdrasil at that point, or look for a used Theta. 
IMO 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #138 of 201
  Effortless but edgy and digital 
rolleyes.gif

I'd recommend to save for the Schiit Yggdrasil at that point, or look for a used Theta. 
IMO 
smily_headphones1.gif

No, it is not edgy or digital. Especially if he's not hearing it in the NFB-3, there's not reason to push him toward R2R sound (after which, there's no coming back) when the NFB-7 is the safest (and cheapest) upgrade.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #139 of 201
  No, it is not edgy or digital. Especially if he's not hearing it in the NFB-3, there's not reason to push him toward R2R sound (after which, there's no coming back) when the NFB-7 is the safest (and cheapest) upgrade.

Fair point. Just saying that a used Theta can be had around 500$... I snatched mine for around 400 and it absolutely was worth it.
Also, a friendly person said that the DAC 19 [Master 7's little brother] sounds almost identical to the Theta we both own. The DAC 19 is 750$ + shipping and fees. I'd recommend that then.

And compared to R2R it is definitely edgy and digital. IMO. YMMV 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #140 of 201
  Fair point. Just saying that a used Theta can be had around 500$... I snatched mine for around 400 and it absolutely was worth it.
Also, a friendly person said that the DAC 19 [Master 7's little brother] sounds almost identical to the Theta we both own. The DAC 19 is 750$ + shipping and fees. I'd recommend that then.

And compared to R2R it is definitely edgy and digital. IMO. YMMV 
smily_headphones1.gif

You're talking to the guy who ordered a second Proceed AVP for $400 (besides the PS-Audio UltraLink II and Theta Gen V); I know one can get very good sound for very little money, but that's not the point :D

The point is that the NFB-7 is a clear upgrade towards the same sound as his current DAC. Same sound, more refined, more grand, effortless (by comparison). It is the safe upgrade.

The DAC19 should be a lesser M7 and, IMO, the M7 and NFB-7 have quite a distinct approach to the sound that might not match his preference. The M7 bass is heavier, bloomer and somewhat sluggish when compared to the fast and tight bass of the NFB-7. There's more texture, no question. But if one likes the tight and fast nature of Audio-gd SABRE DACs, then the M7 / DAC19 wouldn't be ideal.

Also, what is the performance hit going from the M7 to the DAC19? Would that bass texture still be there? Would it be even looser?

Finally, the M7 needs a top converter to actually sound good and match (or approach) the NFB-7 imaging capability. The DAC19 should be the same.

The PS-Audio UltraLink II is actually voiced more like the NFB-7 and would be my recommendation in the vintage R2R category.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #141 of 201
I'll just say that the NFB-7 and my Theta Basic II go neck to neck in imaging capabilities and since the DAC19 = Theta II it is pretty freaking stellar. Just saying. +1 opinion 
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't currently trade my Theta II for the world, at the price I got it and what it does for me. Best DAC I've had to date to my taste [and I did not care for Gungnir much]

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #142 of 201
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

1. - As per Kingwa himself, DAC 19 is at the same level of sound quality as the NFB 3 (2014), it is just a different flavor stemming from the UK chip. It's a matter of tastes only. I prefer definition and speed, tight bass, whereas the laid back nature of the UK chip, at least given Kingwa's description of the DAC 19 (which many people prefer), may not be for me. I use tube amplification and so far have not had issues with Sabre 9018 thanks to my tube complement setup.

2. - I want to upgrade, not to side-step, so I want balanced and I'm aiming at superior transparency, micro detailing, soundstage imaging, etc. This is an expensive direction in general (DAC market wise), so I thought Audio Gd would offer more bang for the buck. I'm enjoying my NFB 3 except it is limited in transparency, soundstage and micro detailing relative to the sound I want (or expect). Don't get me wrong, this NFB 3 is a great bang for the buck and sounds just fine, but I want more of the same...

3. - The Yggdrasil is almost double the price of the NFB 7. I wish I could afford it!

Are there more affordable alternatives to tangibly upgrade to, from the NFB 3 (2014)? Something in the ballpark of USD 1,500 max?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #143 of 201
The Matrix X-Sabre is often recommended.

I would definitely get the NFB-7 if you like the NFB-3 2014.

I actually moved from the NFB-3.2 (WM8471) to the NFB-27 (and also had the Metrum Quad as my favorite DAC at that time). The jump was tremendous. The 2014 is probably a better DAC than the .2, but you'll notice a big jump in quality nontheless.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #144 of 201
Anedio D2 is also an option...

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #145 of 201
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

1. - As per Kingwa himself, DAC 19 is at the same level of sound quality as the NFB 3 (2014), it is just a different flavor stemming from the UK chip. It's a matter of tastes only. I prefer definition and speed, tight bass, whereas the laid back nature of the UK chip, at least given Kingwa's description of the DAC 19 (which many people prefer), may not be for me. I use tube amplification and so far have not had issues with Sabre 9018 thanks to my tube complement setup.

2. - I want to upgrade, not to side-step, so I want balanced and I'm aiming at superior transparency, micro detailing, soundstage imaging, etc. This is an expensive direction in general (DAC market wise), so I thought Audio Gd would offer more bang for the buck. I'm enjoying my NFB 3 except it is limited in transparency, soundstage and micro detailing relative to the sound I want (or expect). Don't get me wrong, this NFB 3 is a great bang for the buck and sounds just fine, but I want more of the same...

3. - The Yggdrasil is almost double the price of the NFB 7. I wish I could afford it!

Are there more affordable alternatives to tangibly upgrade to, from the NFB 3 (2014)? Something in the ballpark of USD 1,500 max?

Thanks again for your assistance.

In that case, a big +1 for the NFB7 :)
It does all the things you want perfectly.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #147 of 201
I am surprised no mention of the Gustard X12. I thought you preferred its Sabre implementation to the NFB-7. :)

I do, but it is a midway point between Sabre and analogue, noticeably different from the NFB7.
From my understanding, that is not the sound the OP wants :)

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #149 of 201
I see. Well perhaps he should consider the X12
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the X12 is on more or less equal ground with the NFB-3 in terms of SQ[give or take a tonality deviation/house sound], so I think the NFB7 would be the better recommendation 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #150 of 201
I think the X12 is on more or less equal ground with the NFB-3 in terms of SQ[give or take a tonality deviation/house sound], so I think the NFB7 would be the better recommendation :)

Ah. Actually, this makes more sense.In your earlier posts I misread you to take it you preferred the X12 to the NFB-7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back