Review: Audio-gd NFB-7
Mar 18, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #106 of 201
Hard to say. The NFB28 is a very solid unit. Then again, so is the NFB7. Didn't have a chance to compare but if the Compass2 was any indication, I don't think it necessary to upgrade unless you absolutely must. Same with a digital interface. In fact, I'd rather recommend the Gustard U12 converter as that would complement it nicely. The DI has the same flavor as the NFB Sabre series.

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #107 of 201
After various researches and reading online i finally ordered the NFB-7. I should receive it next week. I have few questions for the owners, have you changed the power cable or you are using the stock one? What usb cable do you use to connect to the computer? Anybody using a digital interface or it's not necessary?

Thanks in advance

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #109 of 201
Hi guys, I would like to know the distance (if possible in cm) between the two XLR outputs (left and right, mesuared from the middle). If you can help me...

I would say roughly ~30cm. I am afraid I can't give you an exact number, but it should be pretty close 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #110 of 201
  After various researches and reading online i finally ordered the NFB-7. I should receive it next week. I have few questions for the owners, have you changed the power cable or you are using the stock one? What usb cable do you use to connect to the computer? Anybody using a digital interface or it's not necessary?

Thanks in advance

It sounds best with an external USB>I2S interface, like the DI-2014.
Did you order your NFB-7 with HDMI connection kit? If not, maybe it's not too late to get it build in! It's best sounding I2S connection type.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #113 of 201
I received it today. I listened few hours and I feel happy to have bought it (coming from NFB-28). I have the feeling that I have found one of the best synergies for my system (Hifi 2ch, no headphones . It's still in the process of burning in so i will provide more feedback later.

I have no intention to buy any digital interface because, from the comments online, I understand that it's not necessary and probably not worthed the price for the small improvements.

I'm looking forward for this weekend to have sex with my NFB-7...

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #115 of 201
I received it today. I listened few hours and I feel happy to have bought it (coming from NFB-28). I have the feeling that I have found one of the best synergies for my system (Hifi 2ch, no headphones . It's still in the process of burning in so i will provide more feedback later.

I have no intention to buy any digital interface because, from the comments online, I understand that it's not necessary and probably not worthed the price for the small improvements.

I'm looking forward for this weekend to have sex with my NFB-7...

What do you think are the main advantages over NFB-28?
Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #116 of 201
I will take few more days before posting my feedback/impressions.
But i have a question for you guys, does the NFB-7 works under Linux?
I have tried Daphile (Linux distribution) and Poppy Linux but I was not able to make it working (dac not recognized and freezes).
Can you please let me know before that I go mad?

Thanks

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #117 of 201
Just for information, are you guys able to use Linux even with the new firmware version2? 
I had my issue with Linux fixed flashing an old firmware (version: 9-3). Now i can use Daphile under Linux with no issues.

Regarding the sound:  Let's say that i listened it intensively for 1 week and i really love it. In comparison with the NFB-28 (my previous dac) it has a much bigger soundstage.
In fact the sounstage is a perfect match with my Klipsch Cornwall 3 (huge speakers) that are now feeded/filled correctly. 
The quantity of details is impressive and the sound is livelier and more ''real''.  More times i had the feeling that i was listening a revisited (and re-played) version of my albums thanks to the solid, fast and detailed sound provided from the dac.
I would say that i had a 25% of improvement over the previous dac (consider also that together with the NFB-7 i started to use better power cables and quality silver usb and balanced xlr cables..).
If you have a good system (amp/speakers or amp/headphones) that can match the same class of this dac i definitively suggest it as upgrade. It will open and rise up the music to an higher level.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #118 of 201
Hi M 1980,

I own a NFB 3 (2014) and I'm happy with it, but I have the upgrading bug again. I wonder if you can tell me if the NFB 7 used single-ended instead of balanced would still kill the smaller sibling assuming a transparent gear? The reason I want single-ended is my amp is a keeper and would not accept balanced.

Thanks for any feedback. BTW, the NFB 3 (2014) would be close to the NFB 28 in terms of sound for single-ended, two channel stereo gear)

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #119 of 201
Musica, have you thought about DAC-19? The only thing that's holding me back with this one is the exact opposite of your situation, I wanted balanced DAC for my Ragnarok... :smiley:

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #120 of 201
Yes, I did. I even asked Kingwa. This is his reply:

The NFB3 and the DAC19 is same grade products but different sound flavors.
The NFB3 2014 edition had emphasize the detail and dynamic.
The DAC19 applied the PCM1704 and the new DSP software, sound like the Master 7, the users feedback the Master 7 sound like real .

So, since I prefer detail and transparency, I'm sticking with the ESS 9018 Sabre chip, and that would be the NFB 7, except I would miss the balanced capabilities.

This is what Kingwa said about the NFB 7 vs NFB 3 (2014):

The NFB7 is better level than the NFB3 even with the RCA output.
But still depend on how good of your amp, if the amp enought revealing, the improve is obvious .
The NFB7 is our high range design, it is hard to upgrade , even upgrade it may can't had the obvious improve because the ES9018 had all functions and limit.

Which more or less means the NFB 7 takes this chip to its limits. I just wished I could use the balanced outputs though ... That is why I asked Miracle 1980 to compare his NFB 28 with the NFB 7.

BTW, I just read the reply from Miracle 1980 about the advantages of his new NFB 7 vs the NFB 28, sorry I had missed that when I asked. I just would like to know if the single-ended configuration (instead of balanced) would still pull away from the NFB 28 (which is similar to my NFB 3 (2014) in terms of RCA sound). Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back