Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp
Nov 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #61 of 86
Hello:

I'm putting together a laptop based high end audio system - USB.  I won't ever be using headphones but rather only listening through floor speakers.  As this thread has touched upon amps I hope it is o.k. to ask about them here. 

First, I'm leaning toward the LD Dac 1 for my Dac since all its focus is on the non-headphone design - if you had another choice I'd love to hear about it.  I do not know if the Audinst MX1 would be as good for this type of listening or not.  But as far as amplifiers, can anyone suggest a few choices that I could choose from.  I'm willing to spend up to $600.00 for a nice unit.  As far as my sound likes: I like a clear, clean sound with a bit of analogue warmth, but definitely not a bright fatiguing interpretation.  A unit that sounds much more expensive with good fit, finish and quality would be a bonus. 

Thanks so much.

Chuck

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #62 of 86
i own a audinst but haf the option of getting a maverick d1 at a steal...i hear the mav doesn't do 24/96 out of the box, but the amp incl. has stronger output than the audinst...will it complement the audinst or will it just be a waste of $$. Some guy is selling the mav d1 for as low as 60usd.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #63 of 86

Quote:
Hello:

I'm putting together a laptop based high end audio system - USB.  I won't ever be using headphones but rather only listening through floor speakers.  As this thread has touched upon amps I hope it is o.k. to ask about them here. 

First, I'm leaning toward the LD Dac 1 for my Dac since all its focus is on the non-headphone design - if you had another choice I'd love to hear about it.  I do not know if the Audinst MX1 would be as good for this type of listening or not.  But as far as amplifiers, can anyone suggest a few choices that I could choose from.  I'm willing to spend up to $600.00 for a nice unit.  As far as my sound likes: I like a clear, clean sound with a bit of analogue warmth, but definitely not a bright fatiguing interpretation.  A unit that sounds much more expensive with good fit, finish and quality would be a bonus. 

Thanks so much.

Chuck

I'd go check out Audiogon. Just came from there and saw a few good options at your price point: a Luxman, a Marantz, and an Aragon. Lots of value with used gear and if it doesn't work you can likely sell it for around the same price.

Quote:
i own a audinst but haf the option of getting a maverick d1 at a steal...i hear the mav doesn't do 24/96 out of the box, but the amp incl. has stronger output than the audinst...will it complement the audinst or will it just be a waste of $$. Some guy is selling the mav d1 for as low as 60usd.

I have no experience with the D1 but I love the A1. For $60 it seems worth it to try at least, if you don't like what you hear you can easily sell it for that much or even more.

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #64 of 86
^ thanks, but i've decided i might choose the matrix m-stage over the A1 due to its availability and pairing with the k701s.

Quote:
Project86 thanks for another glowing product review!

I have the MX1 - K702 combo and wholeheartedly agree with your perceptions.
I also love the portability factor when traveling with my laptop.
No walwart needed, just plug and play while I'm away.

After reading this thread, I pulled the trigger on a M-Stage today.
My 702's are crying out for more power while at home.
Per your review, the MX-1 > M-Stage > K702 combo looks like a winner to me!

this sounds like the combo i'm hoping to achieve in the coming months, but not now that's for sure. i'm considering a k701 to compliment my m50 which does my trance/electronica but I need open cans for my acoustic/orchestra tunes. Would running a k701 on the mx1 alone be bearable in terms of SQ?

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #65 of 86
@ avexdevil,

My impressions of running the K702's on just the MX1 is that the SQ is bearable,
but with a smaller soundstage and less headroom. The upper treble regions are
a bit strained, I wouldnt go as far as to say "scratchy" but can become fatiguing
after an hour or so. I think that trait could be minimized with proper EQ.
The upper spectrum also seems to be rolled off at the top compared
to that when coupled with the M-Stage. More headroom is a good thing....
Acoustic guitar upper mids do sound wonderful!
The bass isnt anything substantial, slightly punchy, but it is tight.
The K70X's are just hard to drive properly without a more powerful amp,
I was amazed that the puny MX1 performed as well as it does with these phones.
With the M-Stage added to the mix, I found that all of the above traits were improved
substantially.
Still, most bassheads would find it lacking.
I was ok with it, I prefer the added power and tonal balance that the M-Stage brings to the table.

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #66 of 86
Thanks for the excellent review.

I just ordered one to go with my HD-650's.

I appreciate the time and effort you put into this. Made the decision to buy much easier, especially since I was also looking for a computer soundcard.

cheers

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #67 of 86

Quote:
My impressions of running the K702's ~snip~

thanks for the response, though i bit the bullet and went ahead with getting the k701 anyway. It seems with music like jazz and pop with high focus on vocals, the audinst seems to hold its ground fine, with my volume dial @ 3pm, detail is amazing (i.e. Zee Avi's album). However, once i play classical/orchestral tracks (i.e. mahler, hans zimmer, etc), there are entire segments of the song with instrumental solos that seem to be too soft for enjoyment. But I guess if anything, the k701's are performing true to the word -- great soundstage with accurate imaging, in which case orchestral tracks should be expectedly softer due to the acoustics of a performing hall. Bu then again, I don't know if i should attribute it to my amp or my flac source. The sonic differences listening to a studio-recorded jazz and orchestral track seem worlds apart. Could you perhaps link me a flac/wav that you enjoy listening on your k701 that absolutely brings out its capabilties?

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #71 of 86
Anyone know how it works with orthos? I've read on headfonia that it can drive the Hifiman HE-4 but I would like to get another opinion on it. I would like to trade my beyerdynamic 1350's for the he-4's ^^

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #72 of 86

Quote:
Anyone know how it works with orthos? I've read on headfonia that it can drive the Hifiman HE-4 but I would like to get another opinion on it. I would like to trade my beyerdynamic 1350's for the he-4's ^^

I'm borrowing a set of LCD-2s for a few weeks, and I've been going through trying them with all my gear to see what works and what doesn't. The HUD-mx1 does an OK job, I'd call it merely "acceptable" but not great. It gets loud enough but doesn't really give it the drive that the LCD-2 is capable of. The whole thing is a little murky and flat. It would certainly do in a pinch, like if you were in between amps or something, but I wouldn't recommend it for long term enjoyment of those high end headphones.

The HE-4 will likely have similar results if not worse since it is more difficult to drive. Again, if you plan on adding a separate amp in the near future then it will probably be fine but aside from that I'd make other plans.

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #73 of 86
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about getting the asgard or pick up the Hifman ef-5 to run them babies. Heard the HD800s at a store and I'm also a Grado fan so something that many people have been claiming are better is something I'm looking forward too!

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #74 of 86
Update, I have owned the Audinst HUD-MX1 for about a year now. It's a keeper, no problems whatsoever.
I am using it as a semi-portable DAC/headamp at the office, paired with my modded HD555's.
The sound is enjoyable, although not excellent. I am not a big fan of the opamp sound.
For me the value of this device is in it's versitality. At home I use it as a USB to optical SPDIF converter
to feed the Toslink input of my Neko DAC. Overall the results are excellent! My Stax never sounded so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back