Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp
Jul 20, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #31 of 86

Quote:
Any idea how this would mate as a DAC to my EF2? Would it render the EF2 unecessary?

I've only heard the EF5, which is supposedly pretty similar to the EF2 as far as amps go. The EF5 is better than the amp section in the Audinst, and I'd bet the EF2 is as well. But we are comparing a somewhat euphonic tube sound to a fairly typical clean sounding solid state sound, so it is apples and oranges. If you could afford it, I would use both; Audinst is surely the better USB DAC, and then you could use either one for amping depending on the music, the headphones, or your mood.

I sometimes pair the Audinst with a Fournier HTA-1 which is a hybrid tube amp that sounds pretty similar to the EF5. It makes for an excellent combo, so the EF2 should be similarly good.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #32 of 86
That sounds like a good plan. The comparison over at headfonia put this Audinst on the radar. I had previously considered the uDAC, but now I think I might drop a little more coin and pick up one of these Audinst.

Thanks for your input.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #33 of 86
Hi, I'm first time in this forum and am a noob. On using Audinst HUD-mx1 as DAC and Matrix M-Stage as amp. How are these 2 connected?
Is it from Audinst RCA-out to M-Stage RCA-in? If so, both of them have volume control. The volume control controls the RCA-out as well on Audinst. In such scenario, does it mean I have to adjust both volume control?

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #34 of 86

Quote:
Hi, I'm first time in this forum and am a noob. On using Audinst HUD-mx1 as DAC and Matrix M-Stage as amp. How are these 2 connected?
Is it from Audinst RCA-out to M-Stage RCA-in? If so, both of them have volume control. The volume control controls the RCA-out as well on Audinst. In such scenario, does it mean I have to adjust both volume control?

Welcome!

Yep, you got it right, RCA out from Audinst to M-Stage. Leave the volume control all the way up on the Audinst, and use Matrix to set desired volume levels.

The Audinst can function as a preamp, which is why they made the RCA output volume adjustable. If it was not adjustable, it would be line level, which means very loud all the time. So running it full volume is a good approximation of that.

Enjoy!

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #35 of 86
Wow, that was quick. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. :)

1 more question. I saw your excellent review on Yulong D100 DAC. 

What's your thought on Yulong D100 DAC vs Audinst + M-Stage?

I found out from eBay that both are about the same price. Maybe US$40- $50 difference.

Thanks again. :)

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #36 of 86

Quote:
Wow, that was quick. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. :)

1 more question. I saw your excellent review on Yulong D100 DAC. 

What's your thought on Yulong D100 DAC vs Audinst + M-Stage?

I found out from eBay that both are about the same price. Maybe US$40- $50 difference.

Thanks again. :)

That's a tricky one.

The Yulong D100 is clearly a better DAC, by a significant margin. It has a full suite of inputs, as well as balanced outputs. It is an excellent all in one unit, and a very strong base to build off.

The M-Stage is slightly better as an amp though. As I mentioned in that review, not all headphones will take advantage of the difference. So it depends on what you are using.

Ultimately both choices are great, and it depends on your upgrade path. Matrix with Audinst will drive pretty much any headphone out there to a very high level of performance. You would be limited to USB only, and at some point might want to upgrade to a true high end DAC, depending on your view of things. You could then sell off the Audinst and get some of your investment back.

With the Yulong, you already have a high level DAC, and are only missing that last bit of performance in the amp section. Perhaps add a high end tube amp later to get the best of both worlds.

I'm rambling a bit, sorry. If I had to choose just one, it would be a very tough decision, but I'd probably pick the Yulong.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #37 of 86
This little DAC/amplifier device might be what I am looking for. Otherwise I would go for a DacMagic but I want to go for something lower in price just to try it out and neutrality is what I am looking for in a DAC. Now it is neutral and it does wonders with a DF so the clarity is good, right?

Besides that I would hook it up to my CD-player.

Just out of curiosity, does the power supply matter or not?

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #38 of 86

Quote:
This little DAC/amplifier device might be what I am looking for. Otherwise I would go for a DacMagic but I want to go for something lower in price just to try it out and neutrality is what I am looking for in a DAC. Now it is neutral and it does wonders with a DF so the clarity is good, right?

Besides that I would hook it up to my CD-player.

Just out of curiosity, does the power supply matter or not?

Yep, clear and neutral, it's a nice unit.

How will you be connecting your CD player? There is not a digital input other than USB.

I just run straight out of USB power from my laptop. I haven't spent a lot of time testing, but I think the external PSU does impact the sound of the amp section a bit, especially when powering difficult cans. For IEMs, Grados, and other easier to drive headphones, the USB power seems plenty good. And of course if you are only using the mx1 as a DAC, then the power supply is a non-issue.

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #42 of 86
hi,when I used the foobar2000 with WASAPI output sample to 24bits/196kHz and go to Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp is possible?The USB just support up to 24bits/96kHz,but the DAC(WM8740 Wolfson) support up to 24bits/196kHz?whati the meaning?meaning it will auto re-sample to 24bits/196kHz? 

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #43 of 86

Quote:
hi,when I used the foobar2000 with WASAPI output sample to 24bits/196kHz and go to Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp is possible?The USB just support up to 24bits/96kHz,but the DAC(WM8740 Wolfson) support up to 24bits/196kHz?whati the meaning?meaning it will auto re-sample to 24bits/196kHz? 

Hi, sorry I didn't see your post until now. Using Foobar, you need to enable the "resample" DSP option to convert down to 96kHz. The Wolfson WM8740 supports 192kHz but in this implementation it is limited to 96kHz, likely due to some other component like the USB receiver. There's really not any perceivable difference, especially on equipment of this caliber.

The only downside of having to choose the resample option is that you will want to turn it off when playing regular 44.1 or 48kHz files. Then you have to turn it back on for 192kHz files. A minor annoyance, since most HD tracks you can download are not 192kHz but rather 96 or 88.2 or something else that the Audinst can handle.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #44 of 86
Project86 thanks for another glowing product review!

I have the MX1 - K702 combo and wholeheartedly agree with your perceptions.
I also love the portability factor when traveling with my laptop.
No walwart needed, just plug and play while I'm away.

After reading this thread, I pulled the trigger on a M-Stage today.
My 702's are crying out for more power while at home.
Per your review, the MX-1 > M-Stage > K702 combo looks like a winner to me!

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #45 of 86
project86, if you don't mind could you give a quick impression of the MX1's headphone amp through your Grado SR-325 compared to the M-Stage? Grados don't need much power and are fairly easy to drive so I'm wondering if the differences are more minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back