Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Jan 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #241 of 418
thanks for the suggestions chrisc0. a new psu sounds good to me, but i don't think i want to mess with opamps.
regarding resampler i now use the sox resampler plugin but i think the real problem is the headphone amp in the audinst.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #242 of 418
Opamps aren't too expensive but may be hard to come by. A new psu should have an good old fashioned transformer that puts out anything between 12 and 15 volts dc. There is a 12V regulator inside the audinst, so the psu doesn't necessarily have to be regulated. A regulator in the psu is only of use if your power grid is very bad and the regulator has to remove the intense ripple. If you have something like a car battery at hand, you can try hooking that up to your audinst for testing. A battery will give you an example of what a good psu can deliver, because it hasn't any ripple and can deliver the energy very fast.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #243 of 418

Quote:
treble seems to be at a  lower volume now compared to the rest of the frequency range

Oh my gush ? What do you find hot trebles then ? I had always complained about the Audinst's treble brightness. In fact Audins's trebles are the most prominent trebles In comparison to any other source I've met. The only one that surpassed it's trebles was my old XtremeMusic... 
Vary, vary strange news to hear... I can simply not believe it, if only there were some opamp rolling, but in stock condition, there is no way I can agree with recessed trebles here. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #245 of 418
I'm using re0s and sr225(still lively grado sound just relative to laptop the treble is less present). I still find it laid back and a bit attenuated at the higher frequencies.  I got mine used with many hours on it, and I've only put on more, maybe yours have not fully burned in yet? I noticed on page 8, audiofil posts similar findings after a long burn in period.  Also, I do prefer my treble to sparkle a bit, but still compared to my laptop out, the treble is less present.  This is from using both the dac/amp together. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

5. What I didn't pay much attention to initially was the bass response. Out of the box up till' about 100 hours it's very well behaved, flat and unobtrusive. After some 2-300 hours on it, however, Audinst's bass is a bit more present than absolute neutrality and the sound is more rounded and "bassy". It is a pleasing coloration but it can loose that ultimate drop of control and detail at times.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'll update my original review in a few days.
I need some time to synthesize all my findings into one complete revision that will be my final take on Audinst HUD-MX1.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #246 of 418
i really don´t know much of eletronics  and maybe this is a stupid question, but here it goes. do you think it would work (and not damage the unit) to feed it with a 12v batery(car or motorcycle batery) instead of a better ps?

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #247 of 418
Yes, that probably will work. If anything doesn't go as planned, the audinst shouldn't be damaged because its internal regulator protects the cicuit.
Edit: Please report on possible sound improvements, if you succeed.

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #248 of 418
i´m a bit afraid because of the amperage, it´s quite hight in a car batery,  but the idea is, it will give as much energy as the mx1 needs and better than any capacitor of a psu could make isnt it?

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #251 of 418
I ran my Audinst using 12V 7Ah SLA battery safely... and the result is very-very good...

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #252 of 418
I can confirm that the harshness of the highs is almost gone after about 206 hours of burn-in. the sound is more laid back,rounded and it's nice to listen to. its almost a delightful experience i have to say.
going to bed now, will see if i share the same experience tomorrow.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #253 of 418
Quote:
I can confirm that the harshness of the highs is almost gone after about 206 hours of burn-in. the sound is more laid back,rounded and it's nice to listen to. its almost a delightful experience i have to say.
going to bed now, will see if i share the same experience tomorrow.

Tell me please what kind of power do you use ? The stock wall power, the direct USB connection, one or you've got something else ? I use the stock wall power (15V~1A).  I've got 1000+ hours on it, but trebles are still to bright and harsh..

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #254 of 418
Well, i use the stock wall power.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #255 of 418
Well, I am glad you've made up fine synergy and live happy, enjoying the music and not the ssssssibilance..  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back