Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Apr 10, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #271 of 418
I run an LD MK4 SE and an MX-1 and think it works perfectly. There is a huge difference between the stock amp in the Audinst and the LD. That said I know there is a substantial difference in the MK3 and MK4 SE, least of all in size (MK4 is twice the size!). It's quite subjective I suppose but I had the Audinst for a few weeks before I got the LD and was very happy with it, in fact so happy that at first I was upset that I had splashed out so much on the LD. Now though, after having the set for a 4 or 5 months I find the stock Audinst to be still great but so inferior to the LD (and so it should be for the price) and would only get rid of the LD to try something else. I am interested in trying the Woo and the M-stage at some point. All in all I am a big fan of the Audinst and have recommended it to anyone looking for a cheap desktop dac/amp, but love the warm/full bodied sound of the LD. I play everything through VOX so can tweak the EQ if needed but it is barely touched. My 2 cents ;D

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #272 of 418
Quote:
Hey guys, I don't know much about opamps, but long story short I'm not using a free OPA627AU at the moment (selling my M-Stage) and I was wondering if this would be a simple plug and play maneuver for the HUD-MX1? Here is a link to exactly what I have > http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=82

Quote:
The opa627 should work fine on the audinst.

So this specific opamp I purchased from Tam's Audio would work in the MX-1 without any sort of adapters or anything? Just plug-n-play? I just want to be careful and make sure.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #274 of 418
Is it possible to mod the Audinst such that we can bypass the volume control and used it purely as a DAC? Thinking of hooking it up to a dedicated amp but dont want the hassle of adjusting volume on both the audinst and the amp.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #276 of 418
Hi Dannytang

Thx for the reply :)

Guess that's an option, but am afraid that it'll distort the sound.

According to the manual, we're supposed to max out the volume on the computer, but I find the sound coming out sounds "strained". As such, I adjust the volume to about 60-70% on the comp and adjust the audinst volume knob as required to get the 'sweet' spot.

I'm trying to avoid having to do the same when I hook up the audinst to a dedicated amp. Imagine having to adjust the volume on the comp, then on the audinst (acting as a preamp), then finally on the dedicated amp to find the 'sweet' spot'.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #278 of 418
As DAC only, my friend going very far by putting Burson discrete opamp on MX1, but he couldn't be happier... especially when he said that MX1 can beat many sub $1000 CD players of his other friends...

He feed his MX1 to his McIntosh integrated amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back