REVIEW: Audez’e LCD-2 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Jun 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #91 of 171

Quote:
Thanks.  I can't say for sure on your amps, since I don;t have either, but I would think the transformer-coupled Woo6 would work pretty well.

I thought the Woo6 sounded very nice with the LCD-2s at CJ.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #92 of 171

Quote:
An informative review as always Skylab, thanks.  These seem like a great alternative to consider for T1 suitors like myself.  Dare I ask..... will either of my amps (Woo6 and VHP2) handle the LCD-2 or is there just not enough drive on tap from them?  I imagine the WA6 would push them at lower volumes at the very least, but I do like to listen somewhat loudly sometimes and I would want everything to stay smooth, resolved and in control.

personally, i think it's pointless to use the wa6 with the lcd-2, which may be one of the
most transparent headphones i've ever owned. the wa6 lacks the current to really bring
out the best from the lcd-2. on top of that, it is capacitor coupled; the capacitor will be
the weak-link in the signal transfer. the wa6SE is direct-coupled and you will hear the
difference, as long as the source is competent, in the extension of both ends and the
bass quality, not quantity. also, the wa6SE is three times more powerful as the wa6 with
low impedance phones.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #93 of 171

Quote:
personally, i think it's pointless to use the wa6 with the lcd-2, which may be one of the
most transparent headphones i've ever owned. the wa6 lacks the current to really bring
out the best from the lcd-2. on top of that, it is capacitor coupled; the capacitor will be
the weak-link in the signal transfer. the wa6SE is direct-coupled and you will hear the
difference, as long as the source is competent, in the extension of both ends and the
bass quality, not quantity. also, the wa6SE is three times more powerful as the wa6 with
low impedance phones.

The SE could very well be what I was listening to.  Thanks!

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #94 of 171
Yes, it was this one:

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #97 of 171

Quote:
low impedance phones.

I think calling it "pointless" is an exaggeration.  The WA6 is a fine amplifier, and while it's not as spacious or transparent as my ZDT or the Luxman P-1u that I recently reviewed, in no way is it pointless or a waste of time to use it with any headphone except the K1000.  Sure, there are better amps out there, but in it's price range it is quite competitive with the right tubes.

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #98 of 171

Quote:
I think calling it "pointless" is an exaggeration.  The WA6 is a fine amplifier, and while it's not as spacious or transparent as my ZDT or the Luxman P-1u that I recently reviewed, in no way is it pointless or a waste of time to use it with any headphone except the K1000.  Sure, there are better amps out there, but in it's price range it is quite competitive with the right tubes.

you're correct.. i should've been more clear; i meant it's pointless to buy the lcd-2
hoping that the wa6 would drive it well.

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #99 of 171

Quote:

you're correct.. i should've been more clear; i meant it's pointless to buy the lcd-2

Sigh...  
rolleyes.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #100 of 171
Heh, contradicting opinions.  I guess that is the way of things.  I do appreciate the input.  I am at a somewhat difficult impasse really, as I'm looking for the very refined mids and treble these top class headphones offer but I honestly can't afford to buy the high end amps that most folks pair them with.  The idea of leaving some performance on the table, performance being defined as the best resolution and transparency the headphone can offer, isn't my worry.  I just don't want to hear something that sounds strained, harsh, or glaring because there is not enough current on tap the drive the headphones well at all.

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #101 of 171
the schiit asgard solid state performs better than the wa6 with 6de7/6ew7 for the lcd-2,
and has the power with headroom to spare. bass is tighter and more articulate
as well. the mids are quite good and the highs are not as extended but good with
burn-in. all for $250. if you want to make the wa6 perform adequate with the lcd-2,
you can resort to using 6gf7a drive/power tubes with a custom adapter. it still won't give
as much juice as the asgard but you'll get reasonable volume and impact. when i go
from the wa6SE to the wa6 with the lcd-2 it's easy to tell there's significantly less impact
and  resolution in the bass/mid bass region.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #103 of 171

Quote:
it's pointless to buy the lcd-2

Oh, great... now you've doubled my cost for the LCD-2 if I upgrade my WA6 to an SE also.  

When am I going to find the time to lay enraptured by musical magic -- if this setup sounds as much better as I hope it would?  When does one draw the line and say, "my HD650 and Woo WA6 will do... besides, the other 80 hours a week I'm at the office!  ;^)

Is anyone going to the California Audio Show?  If so, please bring for listening! 
http://www.caaudioshow.com/index.html

Or any LCD-2 listeners hanging in Silicon Valley or vicinity, let me know...

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #104 of 171

Quote:
Could I use the LCD2 with the audio gd amps.

I did not have the Phoenix here anymore when I got my LCD-2's.  However, I don't think the slightly dark character of the Phoenix make the match ideal, in spite of my generally high opinion of the Phoenix.  If you already owned a Phoenix, then I wouldn't let that stop you from trying the LCD-2.  But I wouldn't buy a Phoenix if you already had the LCD-2, or were considering buying them as a pair.  I can't comment about the other Audio-GD amps.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #105 of 171
This opinion of the Pheonix is based off not using any of the Audio-gd dacs in ACSS/balanced correct?  Because to me this is what makes my Roc/REf5 combo shine.  And I don't notice the "dark" sound signature your talking about with my setup like this, all ears are diff. of course.   

Sometime in July I will finally have a review of the LCD-2 with Roc/Reference 5, hopefully some other people will as well.  There really aren't any people out there that have tried full Audio-gd setups with the LCD-2's yet (not ones that have posted any reviews that I could find anyway).  So right now how the LCD-2's sound with Audio-gd gear is pure speculation.

p.s.  I will also have a Leben hopefully by then to compare against, so I will post my opinions on whether the Roc is able to bring the LCD-2 to their potential or not....comparing against the Leben.
Quote:
I did not have the Phoenix here anymore when I got my LCD-2's.  However, I don't think the slightly dark character of the Phoenix make the match ideal, in spite of my generally high opinion of the Phoenix.  If you already owned a Phoenix, then I wouldn't let that stop you from trying the LCD-2.  But I wouldn't buy a Phoenix if you already had the LCD-2, or were considering buying them as a pair.  I can't comment about the other Audio-GD amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back