Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Jun 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #541 of 951
This looks like what I need. Thanks. 

Quote:
I use an isolation transformer.   Tripp Lite makes a very good 4 outlet isolation transformer that I actually plug my "dirty" gear into to keep them from contaminating the AC line.  Some people plug the gear they want to stay clean into it....for less than $200 its worth every cent.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #542 of 951

Quote:

What are the sonic implications for that piece of equipment?

The sound of your credit card being swiped.  

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #543 of 951
As long as there's no noise in the card swipe, and i get a clean swoosh sound  in full dynamic range  with no graininess. Otherwise we'll need to hook up the credit card machine to it's own dedicated power source, possibly powered by that thing in Iron Man's chest. And a 24 carat gold ethernet cable for the highest quality  data transfer. 
wink_face.gif

But seriously, point taken. Time to enjoy the music and not the chase. 

Quote:
The sound of your credit card being swiped.  

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #544 of 951
^ One thing you might want to do that wont cost anything. I noticed you said you had components plugged into more than one outlet.

From the D1 manual:

"For the lowest ground noise and hum, it is highly recommended that the power cords of all components be connected to a single point -- usually a single surge protector with multiple outlets. This keeps all components referenced to a single point, as far as it is practically possible, thus minimizing the differences in ground potentials among the components."

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #545 of 951

For the last two days I've *finally* been spending some quality time with the Anedio's built-in HPA, and its pretty much been an eye-opening solid state experience for this SET enthusiast. In my system I would say its major strength is with classical music, and it looks like it may become my preferred mode of listening for that genre. In the meantime I am running through symphony after symphony, probably with a gleam in my eyes.

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #546 of 951
I isolated the amp and dac on one outlet and surge protector / line conditioner. But I didn't put the computer on the same one even though it too is a component. My mac pro has a lot of drives attached, peripherals,etc. So i figured keeping that away from the amp and dac was the best way to go, but I'm not sure. I guess I could test it. 
Quote:
^ One thing you might want to do that wont cost anything. I noticed you said you had components plugged into more than one outlet.

From the D1 manual:

"For the lowest ground noise and hum, it is highly recommended that the power cords of all components be connected to a single point -- usually a single surge protector with multiple outlets. This keeps all components referenced to a single point, as far as it is practically possible, thus minimizing the differences in ground potentials among the components."

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #547 of 951
Just in case anyone is interested - here's a link to my review of the Resonessence Invicta. It's a new high end $4k DAC, and the first I've heard that was able to beat the Anedio. The D1 held up very well though and was certainly not blown away. So for my fellow Anedio owners out there who have wondered how it would stack up against higher end/more expensive designs: you really aren't missing a whole lot. 

EDIT - forgot to include the link! 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559407/review-resonessence-labs-invicta-new-high-end-dac-amp-playback-system#post_7556080

Sorry, it's early....

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #548 of 951

Quote:
Just in case anyone is interested - here's a link to my review of the Resonessence Invicta. It's a new high end $4k DAC, and the first I've heard that was able to beat the Anedio. The D1 held up very well though and was certainly not blown away. So for my fellow Anedio owners out there who have wondered how it would stack up against higher end/more expensive designs: you really aren't missing a whole lot. 

Gimme the link
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #549 of 951
There is a dac shoot-out on Stereomojo which perfectly illustrates the pitfalls of believing reviews. First their methodology is flawed for reasons which I will not elaborate upon. Testing in the affective domain is not for amateurs. Second the system used contained fifteen year old speakers and a mid-fi preamp. Not exactly a transparent chain by any stretch of the imagination. Thirdly, the system used tube amplifiers. Now I am fan of tube amps, and use them myself, but I would be the first to admit that they are not the most brutally revealing of components (even modified with all teflon caps and high speed rectifiers). But do read the shoot-out. See if you can spot any more suspect items. Regards

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #550 of 951
^^ True but everything was relative. The Minmax which does have a solid state output (opamps) we highly regarded. If anything, the Anedio being very detailed should have brought more life to a tube based / less revealing system

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #552 of 951
I would say forth would be the sub-woofer. It may not be connected, but it shouldn't even be in the room.

PA

Quote:
There is a dac shoot-out on Stereomojo which perfectly illustrates the pitfalls of believing reviews. First their methodology is flawed for reasons which I will not elaborate upon. Testing in the affective domain is not for amateurs. Second the system used contained fifteen year old speakers and a mid-fi preamp. Not exactly a transparent chain by any stretch of the imagination. Thirdly, the system used tube amplifiers. Now I am fan of tube amps, and use them myself, but I would be the first to admit that they are not the most brutally revealing of components (even modified with all teflon caps and high speed rectifiers). But do read the shoot-out. See if you can spot any more suspect items. Regards

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #553 of 951
Well I said earlier that I would get around to doing a comparison between the HP out section of the D1 vs. the D1 -> Burson HA 160. Started with Dire Straits' So Far Away and Money For Nothing (SACD) going back and forth, unplugging, plugging, ad nauseam. Volume matching wasn't really an issue because for the life of me I could not pick one over the other that sounded better! I noticed subtle differences in presentation, perhaps a little change in "airiness" :)rolleyes:) but nothing that I could really note to differentiate the two. I actually plugged the LCD-2s straight in to my SACD player for comparison and while it sounded "decent" it was nowhere as refined as the D1 which I hoped or I would think I was going deaf. Well at least I can get rid of some gear now... :rolleyes:

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #554 of 951
I compared the internal amp to the Peak. Night and day difference. The internal by comparison was grainy, a little congested and unpleasantly neutral. 

Quote:
Well I said earlier that I would get around to doing a comparison between the HP out section of the D1 vs. the D1 -> Burson HA 160. Started with Dire Straits' So Far Away and Money For Nothing (SACD) going back and forth, unplugging, plugging, ad nauseam. Volume matching wasn't really an issue because for the life of me I could not pick one over the other that sounded better! I noticed subtle differences in presentation, perhaps a little change in "airiness" (
rolleyes.gif
) but nothing that I could really note to differentiate the two. I actually plugged the LCD-2s straight in to my SACD player for comparison and while it sounded "decent" it was nowhere as refined as the D1 which I hoped or I would think I was going deaf. Well at least I can get rid of some gear now...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #555 of 951
Permagrin, that little link you left in the LCD2 thread today for someone else brought me here.  My wallet hates you.  
tongue.gif

Project86, about halfway through this thread I cancelled my Audio-GD NFB-2 order, excellent review!  

(The cancellation was long due--I've been waiting 8 weeks now with zero updates.)

This DAC looks really promising for me.  

Edit: also hoping that they keep this update simple by only changing the USB module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back