Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Jun 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #526 of 951
Is anyone using a power cable upgrade with the d1? I was wondering since the d1 has no external power option that it might benefit from a high quality ac power cord.

Anedio states the headphone section has a .25 ohm output impedance from 20Hz to 20kHz. So the background is totally silent.

What else do high quality power cords do?

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #528 of 951
I don't think that accounts for noise from other electronics, in the electrical lines, etc. As for what they do, I've read that they can improve the sound in a similar way to upgrade interconnects. Wider, deeper, blacker, less grainy, etc. I've also read that it doesn't matter as long as you have a decent cord. Same polarized debate as every other connector cable in hifi.  Some say the amp is what benefits from a better cord similar to how external power supplies help. Some say put your best power cord on your source, because it all trickles down from there. Some even say you should run a dedicated power outlet from your residential electrical service, or something like that. 

Quote:
Quote:
Is anyone using a power cable upgrade with the d1? I was wondering since the d1 has no external power option that it might benefit from a high quality ac power cord.

Quote:
Anedio states the headphone section has a .25 ohm output impedance from 20Hz to 20kHz. So the background is totally silent.

What else do high quality power cords do?

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #529 of 951
Good question, I'd like to hear about that too so that I know what to look forward to once Anedio releases their discounted box, 

Quote:
Are there any listeners with details and impressions using a USB > Spdif converter with the D1? I'm more or less waiting for the Anedio solution, but in the meantime still have interests in other designs.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #530 of 951
^ I know about all the hoopla but if it's black it's black as far as I'm concerned. That being said for a ~$1300 DAC I wouldn't be adverse to using a relatively inexpensive "audio" quality power cord.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #531 of 951
I might have to audition a couple to put my mind at rest.

Quote:
^ I know about all the hoopla but if it's black it's black as far as I'm concerned. That being said for a ~$1300 DAC I wouldn't be adverse to using a relatively inexpensive "audio" quality power cord.

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #533 of 951
90% of the time stock cables work best.

Having tried a lot of power cables from the $400 and below price range I found that stock powercords sounds best for Dacs about 90% of the time.

Cables include [Wireworld, AudioQuest, VH-Audio, Cardas, Kimber, and a couple home-brew cables with Furutech ends with OCC copper and Silver design].

Better to focus attention to cleaning up the AC by isolating dirty products like PC's etc from polluting the power line.

That being said, I have settled on the Wireworld and a Home-Brew Neotech/Furutech powercord for my AGD Ref7 & Ref5.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #536 of 951
Jun 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #537 of 951
How do you clean up the AC. I do keep my amp and dac on a separate outlet and (cheap) line conditioner from my mac, external drives, routers, etc. Is that enough? 

Quote:
90% of the time stock cables work best.

Having tried a lot of power cables from the $400 and below price range I found that stock powercords sounds best for Dacs about 90% of the time.

Cables include [Wireworld, AudioQuest, VH-Audio, Cardas, Kimber, and a couple home-brew cables with Furutech ends with OCC copper and Silver design].

Better to focus attention to cleaning up the AC by isolating dirty products like PC's etc from polluting the power line.

That being said, I have settled on the Wireworld and a Home-Brew Neotech/Furutech powercord for my AGD Ref7 & Ref5.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #539 of 951
I use an isolation transformer.   Tripp Lite makes a very good 4 outlet isolation transformer that I actually plug my "dirty" gear into to keep them from contaminating the AC line.  Some people plug the gear they want to stay clean into it....for less than $200 its worth every cent.

Quote:
How do you clean up the AC. I do keep my amp and dac on a separate outlet and (cheap) line conditioner from my mac, external drives, routers, etc. Is that enough? 

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #540 of 951
Quote:
I use an isolation transformer.   Tripp Lite makes a very good 4 outlet isolation transformer that I actually plug my "dirty" gear into to keep them from contaminating the AC line.  Some people plug the gear they want to stay clean into it....for less than $200 its worth every cent.

What are the sonic implications for that piece of equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back