Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Jun 27, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #558 of 951
Regarding the StereoMojo shootout - the first thing that I thought when I read it was "I'm sick of seeing that Lavry DA11 pic with the sunglasses". But the next thing I thought was "This is a very ambitious but flawed test". And I'm not just saying that because the Anedio didn't win. A few issues have already been mentioned, but here are a few more thoughts:

*Look at that room. Basically untreated. And look at the way people are sitting all over the place. The person sitting on the couch is going to get a very different presentation than the guy standing 4 rows behind him against the wall.

*I remember those Infinity Prelude speakers as being very well regarded for home theater applications, but I don't know that they are the best choice for music. Certainly a good buy at the $700-800 they would sell for today, but probably not reference quality.

*I would have loved to see them do what they talked about doing - putting identical DACs against each other to see what happens. I suspect the results would be similar to the other tests, with maybe 4 out of 6 choosing one over the other. 

*The victory of Anedio over Lavry was the only decisive 6-0 win. Was that based on sound quality, or just the fact that the Lavry had dropouts? It should not have counted if they were having technical difficulties with any one unit. 

*The comments don't always match the voting. Lots of examples of this. Also notice at the end someone says they liked the Anedio over the Minimax and the Lampizator.

*The comments also don't generally line up with the reviews of each individual DAC.

*I'm not sure how they level matched "by ear" or how effective that was. 

I don't want to sound too negative - these guys obviously had fun doing this and that's a good thing. It just doesn't seem like the conclusions mean much. As they themselves say, buying the winner (Lampizator) or avoiding the losers (Metric Halo and Lavry) based on this article would be a mistake. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #559 of 951
Just got through the Steremojo standalone review of the D1.  I wouldn't say it was overwhelmingly positive, only moderately so.  
Read John Darko's review last night too, I really couldn't glean much useful from it, apparently the D1 is all "tits and teeth."

It'd be nice to [edit: see] a direct W4S DAC2 vs. D1 review at this price range.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #560 of 951

Quote:
I don't want to sound too negative - these guys obviously had fun doing this and that's a good thing. It just doesn't seem like the conclusions mean much. As they themselves say, buying the winner (Lampizator) or avoiding the losers (Metric Halo and Lavry) based on this article would be a mistake. 

Tests like this should be taken for what they are; a bunch of guys having fun and testing some stuff. If you're unfamiliar with the source material just hearing a song for the second time, and not the first, can fool you BIG time. It's also not the kind of music I normally listen to so the results really don't tell me much at all.

Still I have no problem believing that many, if not all, of the DACs in that test are very good.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #561 of 951
Wow, thats really sad to see the rise and fall of an excellent audio company.

Customer service is just as important IF NOT MORE important than Product.

Kingwa is a great designer of audio gear, if only he had an equally great business person at his side to see things through....

Also consider that the Anedio Dac is about 3x the cost of a NFB-2....I guess if you have to wait why not upgrade

Quote:
Permagrin, that little link you left in the LCD2 thread today for someone else brought me here.  My wallet hates you.  
tongue.gif

Project86, about halfway through this thread I cancelled my Audio-GD NFB-2 order, excellent review!  

(The cancellation was long due--I've been waiting 8 weeks now with zero updates.)

This DAC looks really promising for me.  

Edit: also hoping that they keep this update simple by only changing the USB module.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #562 of 951
^ Yeah, it's a bummer.  I'll have to wait on my HE-500 / Anedio D1 upgrade, the D1 awaits upgrade, the HE-500s are being updated with new tabs that affect damping and I'm waiting for more funds.  On a positive note, my 5LEs will be coming back from RMA soon and there's an NFB-2 that just showed up on the FS forum. Looks like I'll be sticking with my current rig for a bit longer.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #564 of 951
well you could probably get a new NFB-2 right now from pacific valve.  And there's a D1 and NFB2 on the sale forums.

I wouldn't call it a fall, Kingwa has a pretty small shop but has quite a few different components - he's def past his ability to keep up with demand.  Not a bad problem to have and I still think his work is great.  He has said that he doesn't plan on introducing any new items this year and hope to work on building/fixing up the company instead.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #565 of 951
I PMed the NFB-2 seller already.  Believe it or not Pacific Valve is who I ordered from.  8 weeks into my order I found out through the NFB-2/3 impressions thread that Audio-GD had not received any new orders for NFB-2s from PV since April.  When I contact PV about it I was told Audio-GD hadn't yet fulfilled their last bulk order from March and they were still waiting on half the shipment.  I posted this on the NFB-2/3 thread and Audio-GD replied saying their orders to distributors are all fulfilled, but that they would double check.  It was obvious that my posts on that thread were the only thing connecting PV and Audio-GD.  I sat mulling over it for a week and then decided this silliness wasn't for me.  On a side note, ordering direct from Audio-GD folks have been getting their products within 2-4 weeks for a month or two now.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #566 of 951
I have ordered AGD products from PV and from AGD.  It appears that PV is but an after thought to AGD....that is to say PV gets the left overs.  My AGD power filter ordered from PV was clearly USED and badly so [obvious wear marks, extremely obvious]...

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #567 of 951
wow.  not to derail the thread but I've made 2 orders thru PV which were quick and good and I'm thinking about a 3rd.  I could have sworn that they said they had the nfb2 in stock recently - but I look at too many things to keep anything straight anyway.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #569 of 951
Hi All,

Very interesting thread.

Has anyone have any experience using Beyer DT880 Manufaktur (600 ohm) phones with the Anedio D1 HP amp section ?
I'd be very interested to hear thoughts on this combo.

Cheers,

Raksy (John)

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #570 of 951

Quote:
Hi All,

Very interesting thread.

Has anyone have any experience using Beyer DT880 Manufaktur (600 ohm) phones with the Anedio D1 HP amp section ?
I'd be very interested to hear thoughts on this combo.

Cheers,

Raksy (John)

I severly doubt that's a good idea, the D1 is recommended for up to 250 ohms I believe. My HD650s (300 ohms) I feel sound underpowered and lacklustre coming directly out of the D1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back