REVIEW AND COMPARISON OF 21 HOME HEADPHONE AMPS add Yarland P-100
Mar 23, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #46 of 85
Fallen Angel-This is mainly because you can build a $150 PPAv2 which will sound no better than a ok-spec'd Pimeta and you can build a $300 PPAv2 which will seriously kick ass.

I agree. However, my point in all of this is that I treat all amps and configurations the same. I don’t pre-judge them prior to listening to them on an equal basis. I document the configuration and then rank them. If I have to eliminate a given amp because it is a discontinued design or lacks a feature or function then it will be one less data point for the rankings. If one specific configuration (such as the PPA V2 with STEPS) does indeed sound better, then it will rank higher. I have heard the PPA with the old diamond buffers and it did sound better. I think the new PPA with STEPS is a top amp despite the fact that it is no longer the Flavor of the Month. It deserves much more than the short shrift it was given by me. However, if I do get around to comparing it, the methodology is still valid because the reader will be able to see how much better it is by a properly configured PPA V2’s subsequent rise in the rankings.

I could have left the lowly CMOY out, but I wanted to show people how it compared to the top amps. I also included the Xtra X-1, which is considered a portable amp, because I thought it would be interesting for people to see how the new wave of portables compared to home amps. It sounded surprisingly good.

I am more concerned about the readers missing out on a great sounding amp because I have “pre judged” it to be not a contender due to it’s configuration, portable/small design, or price. A new Sword Yang Little Dot digital amp may be one example of an inexpensive, small/portable amp that has a separate wall wart type power supply that I would not want to exclude merely because it has what may appear to be a cheap power supply.

They are all merely data points for the purpose of this comparison.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #47 of 85
How did the Doge sound with Grados?

It'd be great to know how the Doge and Bada stack up against the Mapletree Ear+ and the Woo6, and how the Mapletree and Woo compare to each other.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #48 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockturne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did the Doge sound with Grados?

It'd be great to know how the Doge and Bada stack up against the Mapletree Ear+ and the Woo6, and how the Mapletree and Woo compare to each other.

I sold my Grados before I bought the Doge, but I can still speculate as to how it will sound. For one, it will tame the highs of the Grados and make it more laid back and relaxed. Also, it will greatly expand the soundstage of the Grados, which is nonexistant with say... an SS amp. The Doge is very tubey-sounding, very smooth, and has midrange bloom, and for cans that emphasize the upper midrange/lower treble like Grados, Etymotics, SA5000, and K701, the amp draws the attention more toward the sweet lower midrange. Definately will make the Grados less fatiguing and that alone would make it the perfect choice for myself, though I don't know what musical tastes you have.

btw, for low impedance cans like Grados, speaker tube amps work great. all you need to do is lower the overall gain.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #49 of 85
Where is the Mapletree, Earmax, and some others?

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #50 of 85
Thanks for all your suggestions, please keep them coming.

So far, I am looking to add reviews for the Yarland P100 and the Beta22. I have also heard there may be a new headamp similar to the Opera but without the DAC and with slightly less power that sounds interesting.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #51 of 85
Tbonner, any updates (new toys)?

I especially would like to see some Woo audio and darkvoice products
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #52 of 85
Tbonner -
This is a great, great, helpful review. I've wanted to buy either a Presonus CS or the Doge. My budget is really tight and I won't be able to afford all of the pieces that you have. I now have strictly a computer as source (sub-$1000, noisy fan, etc.) and Sennheiser 595's, along with the computer's cruddy soundcard. I have a couple of questions:

1. Would I be well served to spend $100 to upgrade my headphones to a Senn 600/650 or to an K701 with either of these amps?
2. If I just get the Presonus CS, what's the best way to plug the computer into the CS - through USB, or through a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB (which I have) which converts USB to a Toslink female plug? Or do I need a better soundcard with a digital out?
3. If I get the Doge instead, will I need to spend another $500 plus on a DAC that would be worthy of it, or would the DAC of, say, a $29 Chaintech AV-710 soundcard be good enough and would still make the Doge sound better than the Presonus?
4. Given my budgetary limitations, will I need power conditioning or anything else immediately?

Many, many thanks!
B

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #53 of 85
Ooztuncer-Next up I have planned for the Yarland P100, but the Woo 3/6 and Darkvoice 332/336/337 is on my radar screen. Headfiers: please keep the requests and suggestions coming to make this thread mo’ better.

Popom
1-I think very highly of the Senn 650/600/580’s. and would choose them as a good bang for the buck improvement over the 595/555’s. While the 595’s offer a taste of the high end, the Senn 650’s are high end. If you are on a budget and can find a pair of 580’s around the Amazon price of $130 shipped they would be a great deal. Look at all the vendors at the recent Headfi meet who use the Senn 650’s. They scale up well and you will improve your sound as you upgrade other components in your reproduction chain. The 701’s are also a good choice with many reviews here. The Senn’s and AKG benefit from the best amplification you can feed them, it is question of what sound signature you prefer from your headphones.

I prefer to build my headphone system around the headphones first as I prefer to build my stereo around my speakers.

2- I would prefer to feed a coaxial input to the Presonus that has a great sounding DAC and Preamp.

3-The Doge with either Senn or 701 headphones will be revealing of your input, so if you do not have a good source that will be a problem. I still think highly of the Presonus as a solid state headphone amp but prefer tubes. If you are on a tight budget I would consider the Presonus at a price around $400 but make sure you have the option to return it. Remember you may still want to spend money on upgraded tubes with the Doge to get the best sound, so it may turn out to be more expensive than it’s initial cost.

4-I find power conditioning helps both the Presonus and Doge to squeeze the very best sound out of them. Sorry, I know the upgrade path seems endless and I wish I did not have to have an extra box in each system I own. However I do not think you no not need it immediately unless you are in an area with polluted AC power running on old utility lines. I would listen with a reference CD to the amp first during the day when there may be a bit more noise coming from your AC line. Then try the same CD at night listening for line noise, ripple, static and hum with the same CD playing. Also listen with the CD on stop and with the volume turned up. Make sure noise polluters such as light dimmers and air conditioners are off.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #54 of 85
Thank you so much for your helpful reply! Your answer made it totally clear about the headphones and power conditioning, but I'm a little baffled about how to get from my computer into either the Doge or the Presonus. Right now I have a lousy $19 soundcard that came with the computer.
1. You said to go coax into the Presonus. Would that be a digital out from a soundcard, and the Presonus would be the DAC? Will any cheap Chaintech AV-710 soundcard with spdif out be that coaxial, or would I need a special soundcard?
2. With the Doge, you said that "if you do not have a good source that will be a problem." What's the cheapest way of having a good source from my computer that would show off the Doge's warm tubey advantages over the Presonus CS? Or is that "cheapest way" a superexpensive DAC or even a non-computer source, which wouldn't work?
3. What tubes do you personally like with the Doge, and how many of each?

Your post and reply have been amazingly helpful - many thanks once again.
Best,
Brian

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #56 of 85
Tbonner1 -

Once again - thanks a million for your helpful post and answer. If I were to spend a wee little more, and starting from my computer's coax and ending in the K701 cans, what's the cheapest DAC I can get away with that would make the Doge tube amp sound better, to your ears, than just going straight into the Presonus CS alone? (If I get the tube amp, I can't afford the CS).
Yours,
Brian

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #57 of 85
Brian

Sorry I cannot be of more help as I do not have much experience with these DAC's.

Many here like the Zhalou:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167257

You may want to consider one of headphone amps with USB inputs to a DAC that feeds the headphone amp such as the Dared MP-5. Make sure you look for the US model with 12AX7 tubes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dared-MP-5-tube-...QQcmdZViewItem

One tip would be to see if you can first live with an inexpensive sound card such as the Chaintec 710. You could populate your tube headphone amp with rich and smooth sounding tubes that would help mask any digital grain until you could invest in a better DAC.

May 19, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #60 of 85
Did you review the Yarland P100 elsewhere?

You previously said you planned to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back