REVIEW: ACS custom tips + SENNHEISER IE8
May 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #241 of 369
I've just been into David Ormerod in my local boots and got my impressions taken for the ACS sleeves for my IE8. I've just gone for the cable over-ear and transparent. They report the moulds should be back in about 2-3wks
biggrin.gif

Can't wait. If they work out good, I'm gonna get some done for my Shure's aswell.

May 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #242 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ListenHear sleeves arrived today! I was expecting delivery for tomorrow, but when I got home, the package was sitting there just staring at me...begging to be opened!

The holes do not allow for that deep of insertion of the nozzles so the body of the IE8s are mainly outside. I've switched the cables and use them with the cord going down. I tried over the ear, but they look worse then a pair of UE Super.fi 5 pros!

Here are some pics. Listening now so that I can get a better impressions:

3543951486_e77dff9ae7.jpg

3543147157_e4d617157b.jpg

3543962040_fe80e9dd1b.jpg

3543139867_7c618627ba.jpg

3543138943_2ed55b66a7.jpg

I don't like how they stick out...

May 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #245 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You put the IE8s the wrong way round? Since I always thought if wearing cable down, you put right unit in the left ear...

That's what I did.

May 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #247 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the right unit is still in the right ear...

Ah, you're right. Sorry about that. I took pictures first, but then started swapping them around. I have them correct now.

May 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #249 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The holes do not allow for that deep of insertion of the nozzles so the body of the IE8s are mainly outside. I've switched the cables and use them with the cord going down. I tried over the ear, but they look worse then a pair of UE Super.fi 5 pros!

I started a thread this evening as I'm looking to upgrade my super.fi 5 Pros with some custom tips and, asking if there was anyone who did this kind of thing here in the UK, one poster replied mentioning ACS. But the above makes me think that perhaps they're not suited to my IEMs? Mixed messages also:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f137/c...9/#post5679595
Custom Earphone Sleeves
say 'No' but:
Custom Moulded Earphone Sleeves
Advanced Communication Solutions (the official ACS site?)
say 'Yes'...

Anyone know for definite if my sf5Pros can take them?

May 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #250 of 369
Those full moulds with the IE8 look a little bit too far out to me too. Think I've gone for Canal moulds from ACS.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #251 of 369
It might be an initial impression but I feel the treble is reduced in these 'soft' tubes.

I have turned down the bass ports from 2 to 1 but still feel the treble is subdued. Is this a problem with the smaller 'tubes'?

Regards

Sceptre

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #252 of 369
My moulds finally turned up, about 2weeks start to finish - From a David Ormerod in boots. £88 in total.

My initial impressions were, after going from comply T400's to the custom moulds - Where has all the bass gone?!? That was after about 20mins listening on the way back from lunch. But now I've had about an hour with them in the car this morning, they have completely changed the sound signature of the IE8, and I'm starting to think that even though I enjoyed the oodles of bass that the IE8 provide with comply tips, it may well have been muddying the sound. Because they have excellent clarity and width to the sound and to be honest they are much improved.

They are extremely comfortable to wear and I can't even feel I've got them in unlike the complys, but the seal doesn't feel as good? But, even though it doesn't feel as good, it is actually better? If that makes any sense? Before, with foam tips, if I didn't have a good seal, I used to test by pushing the IEM in a little further and holding it there, to see if the sound signature changed - If it did, I knew I didn't have a proper seal so would reseat them. With these custom sleeves, when I push them in a little further, there is no signature change at all, the seal stays perfect, even though it's not feeling perfect lol

Overall, with about 1.5hrs of listening time behind the IE8+ACS Customs, they are defo and improvement, but they do change the sound signature a lot to the IE8 and a foam tip. A lot. Changes them from being very bassy, to a much more rounded sound.

My Sony X series gets here tomorrow, so it should be interesting to see what the X+IE8+ACS sounds like, as I've been using my A818
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #253 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by AkashPrakash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gr8 tnx ..nice post bro gr88
signature001.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Ha ha, I like this guy. Ya really.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #254 of 369
Thanks for the review Mors. Mine are due any day so I'll post my impressions soon hopefully. Clearly the first listen will be heavily influenced by what tips you've come from.

It's interesting what you say about fit, how does the isolation compare with the foam tips and/or the stock tips ? My biggest issue has been making and maintaining a good seal. They sound fantastic when they're sealed so I'm really hoping the customs will solve this issue once and for all !

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #255 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review Mors. Mine are due any day so I'll post my impressions soon hopefully. Clearly the first listen will be heavily influenced by what tips you've come from.

It's interesting what you say about fit, how does the isolation compare with the foam tips and/or the stock tips ? My biggest issue has been making and maintaining a good seal. They sound fantastic when they're sealed so I'm really hoping the customs will solve this issue once and for all !

I don't think the isolation is as high, to me, but that's because the foam tips expand in your ear, sort of stretching it a bit and getting a very tight seal. Whereas this custom mould will be just slightly smaller than your ear canal as to get in and not damage it, so there might be a milimetre gap here and there, where there is none with foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back