REVIEW: ACS custom tips + SENNHEISER IE8
May 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #226 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not yet. I am hoping to get them this week. I'm guessing making a full mold takes longer than their canal ones.

I send back mine for a remold too..changing from the default black EP material, canal-only tips to ultraflex, full molds.

May 12, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #227 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I send back mine for a remold too..changing from the default black EP material, canal-only tips to ultraflex, full molds.

Did they give you a turnaround time?

May 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #228 of 369
So I might order some soon (After my birthday perhaps) from ACS.
Anyway I know where my local audiologist is..but just a few questions.
Are there different materials from ACS or is it just that one particular type?
How long does it tend to take to make?

May 13, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #229 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I might order some soon (After my birthday perhaps) from ACS.
Anyway I know where my local audiologist is..but just a few questions.
Are there different materials from ACS or is it just that one particular type?
How long does it tend to take to make?

turn around 10 days. 3 days for mine to be done. 1 material.

May 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #233 of 369
I'm going to get some of these for my IE8's now, I've decided
smily_headphones1.gif

Just need to get an appointment with local David Ormero as they're booked up until eternity last time I went in.

Think getting some moulds will need me tied over and stop me getting the new Sony
wink.gif

May 18, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #234 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok how very exciting... but seeing the price difference between ACS and ListenHear, could anyone give a definitive answer as to which is better? or are there any particular characteristics or specifications of each so someone like me could better decide?

I think that answer will be hard to find. People will either order one or the other. As soon as I receive my new molds from ListenHear, I can give you my impressions about the ordering process, build, and sound.

May 18, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #235 of 369
The ListenHear sleeves arrived today! I was expecting delivery for tomorrow, but when I got home, the package was sitting there just staring at me...begging to be opened!

The holes do not allow for that deep of insertion of the nozzles so the body of the IE8s are mainly outside. I've switched the cables and use them with the cord going down. I tried over the ear, but they look worse then a pair of UE Super.fi 5 pros!

Here are some pics. Listening now so that I can get a better impressions:

3543951486_e77dff9ae7.jpg

3543147157_e4d617157b.jpg

3543962040_fe80e9dd1b.jpg

3543139867_7c618627ba.jpg

3543138943_2ed55b66a7.jpg

May 19, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #236 of 369
Okay, first impressions.

Build: The ultraflex material from ListenHear is supposedly their hardest. The material is still "squishy", but it is tougher than the original molds I had. They might look acrylic, but they are not. The fit is nice and soft. I'll have to test longer wearing sessions, but they are very comfortable. The fit is perfect and the seal stays even when I try opening my mouth.

Sound: To start off, I love warm sound and bass that has impact. Because the body of the IE8s are not as flush to my ear, there is a bit less bass impact, even with the knob turned to max. I did gain what I would call texture. I am able to "feel" the music more now with the custom sleeves. It's a delightful feeling.
biggrin.gif
The sound is definitely extended compared to the stock IE8 tips. When I say extended, I mean a greater soundstage. The music now feels wider than before.

Isolation: The ultraflex material provides greater isolation than stock tips and also the EP material of my original order. The new molds also passed the wife test. I sat here watching her talk to me and I couldn't hear anything! She has already hit me over the head tonight when she was trying to get my attention. That definitely won't be the last.
ksc75smile.gif

So for first impressions, I'm definitely happy with more beneficial sound of having a custom sleeves. Compared to the pictures of the ACS molds, I think ListenHear could do a better job of integrating the IE8 body into the mold better. I feel the stick out too far from my ears when worn over the ear. Turning them upside down helps the looks a little, but not by much.

ListenHear's customer service is top notch. The original person with which I worked left for vacation, but was promptly picked up by a backup. Kudos to their group!

May 19, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #237 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, first impressions.

Build: The ultraflex material from ListenHear is supposedly their hardest. The material is still "squishy", but it is tougher than the original molds I had. They might look acrylic, but they are not. The fit is nice and soft. I'll have to test longer wearing sessions, but they are very comfortable. The fit is perfect and the seal stays even when I try opening my mouth.

Sound: To start off, I love warm sound and bass that has impact. Because the body of the IE8s are not as flush to my ear, there is a bit less bass impact, even with the knob turned to max. I did gain what I would call texture. I am able to "feel" the music more now with the custom sleeves. It's a delightful feeling.
biggrin.gif
The sound is definitely extended compared to the stock IE8 tips. When I say extended, I mean a greater soundstage. The music now feels wider than before.

Isolation: The ultraflex material provides greater isolation than stock tips and also the EP material of my original order. The new molds also passed the wife test. I sat here watching her talk to me and I couldn't hear anything! She has already hit me over the head tonight when she was trying to get my attention. That definitely won't be the last.
ksc75smile.gif

So for first impressions, I'm definitely happy with more beneficial sound of having a custom sleeves. Compared to the pictures of the ACS molds, I think ListenHear could do a better job of integrating the IE8 body into the mold better. I feel the stick out too far from my ears when worn over the ear. Turning them upside down helps the looks a little, but not by much.

ListenHear's customer service is top notch. The original person with which I worked left for vacation, but was promptly picked up by a backup. Kudos to their group!

Good to hear!
Now i know what to expect
dt880smile.png

May 19, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #238 of 369
ajmiarka perfect impressions post. and very good pictures too. thank you.

it would seem that the ACS sits flush against the ear and the overall design between the 2 seems different for some reason.. i would have thought custom moulds would look the same but i get this impression they're designed different.. hah maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.. too much head fi perhaps?

May 19, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #239 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ajmiarka perfect impressions post. and very good pictures too. thank you.

it would seem that the ACS sits flush against the ear and the overall design between the 2 seems different for some reason.. i would have thought custom moulds would look the same but i get this impression they're designed different.. hah maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.. too much head fi perhaps?

the two designs are different, your eyes are working fine.
regular_smile .gif
the ACS have more room to place the body of the IE8s into, where the ListenHear sleeves only allow the nozzle to be placed into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back