Review: 1964 Ears V3 triple driver custom IEM (updated 10/24/12)
Jul 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #151 of 194
Getting some V3's in August. Well I guess I'll probably receive them in September. I'm going with ambient ports for jogging and hearing the family around the house :) thanks for all the impressions, I think this is pretty much the defacto V3 thread.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #152 of 194
Getting some V3's in August. Well I guess I'll probably receive them in September. I'm going with ambient ports for jogging and hearing the family around the house :) thanks for all the impressions, I think this is pretty much the defacto V3 thread.

If you're going to jog with them, you're going to get a bit of moisture in them at some stage no matter how careful you are taking them out; I'd recommend a hearing aid dryer. I bought a Serene Innovations DB100, $70 well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #153 of 194
Quote:
If you're going to jog with them, you're going to get a bit of moisture in them at some stage no matter how careful you are taking them out; I'd recommend a hearing aid dryer. I bought a Serene Innovations DB100, $70 well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Cool; thanks for the info!  So I'm guessing the $8 dehumidifier jar from 1964 might not be enough?

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #154 of 194
I got one of those as well. Given it's winter here, what I do is use the dryer whenever I've been wearing them for an extended period (usually when I've been out & about) a couple of times a week, and the rest of the time when I've been using them at home (maybe an hour a day) I store them in the dehumidifier jar overnight. When summer hits (and everyone sweats more) I'll probably use the dryer most days.

Whether the jar is enough or not in your case I guess will depend on how much you sweat when you're wearing them & how careful you are when you take them out (that's the time you're most likely to get moisture in, say, one of the sound tubes). You probably also want to make a practice of wiping the monitors & cable down with a very slightly damp cloth after each use to get any sweat off & dry both thoroughly and then store them in the jar or put them in the dryer.

For me at least, spending $70 to take care of something I spent $500 on & want to use for a number of years seemed a wise choice.

Edit - Average Joe's thread here has some great info about moisture & CIEM's.

Cool; thanks for the info!  So I'm guessing the $8 dehumidifier jar from 1964 might not be enough?

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #156 of 194
Yep that's the one in AJ's thread/the one I have, and there are others made by other companies at varying prices with similar/slightly different specs.

^^yeah. That definitely makes sense, and I actually sweat quite a bit. Do you know if the Renew dryer on amazon for ~50 is the same?

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #157 of 194
Hi Everyone, New to Head-Fi, but been reading up for a few months now. Just wanted to let you guys know that my V3s are being made as we speak - should have them hopefully by the end of the week or early next week! Looking forward to hearing them, and then posting my thoughts here! 

I'm a broadcast professional in radio and television, and I'm aiming to use CIEM's for my on air work, mostly in radio - We run a hit music format. I'm really interested to see how they will work for that purpose - and if I find it successful, I'll try convert a few others over :wink: 

Will let you know when they come in, and I'll post pix too! :) 

- Dan 
NXFM Newcastle

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #158 of 194
Good one Dan :wink: Will look forward to your thoughts/impressions

Hi Everyone, New to Head-Fi, but been reading up for a few months now. Just wanted to let you guys know that my V3s are being made as we speak - should have them hopefully by the end of the week or early next week! Looking forward to hearing them, and then posting my thoughts here! 

I'm a broadcast professional in radio and television, and I'm aiming to use CIEM's for my on air work, mostly in radio - We run a hit music format. I'm really interested to see how they will work for that purpose - and if I find it successful, I'll try convert a few others over :wink: 

Will let you know when they come in, and I'll post pix too! :) 

- Dan 
NXFM Newcastle

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #159 of 194
Wow. So got my customs on Friday. Pretty prompt shipping from Portland to Newcastle NSW - Australia. 

First impressions from listening over the weekend - Pretty good. :) 

I mean I'm no audiophile, but as a trained sound engineer and broadcaster - I'm always looking for something thats full, well balanced and not lacking. 

I can honestly say the 1964Ears V3's aren't lacking in anything. They are by no means flat like a reference monitor - it's not designed as one. Bass is pretty hefty - For me when there's some pumping bass, it feels like I've got my head next to a Subwoofer. Very clear and not muddy, I was going to go for the Quads, and I'm glad I didn't, they might have been a tad over kill on the bass for me. Mids are present, and the highs are slightly emphasised - Just the way I like it. :)

I come from an industry which typically uses over ear semi aural headphones - Namely the AKG K141 (in all it's variations). The isolation for me is a little difficult to get used to, but with more and more use, it's becoming less of a problem. But what comes with the isolation, is clarity at lower volumes, which is the reason why I dived right into customs. I haven't yet used them in a live environment with a ton of ambient noise, but look forward to doing so in the next few weeks. 

Fit for me is pretty damn near perfect. There's a little looseness on the right hand side, but it doesn't break the seal enough to lose any of the bass response which is interesting. It just feels like the IEM itself could be a little tighter in my ear like the left one. Might try and find some clear acrylic nail polish to build up a layer and see if it makes a difference. 

Build quality is awesome. I did find one small air bubble in one of the monitors, but I'm literally nit picking - Overall build is absolutely perfect. Love how clear the IEMs are - exactly what I wanted. 

I'm not sure how these will fare with my on air work, I did find myself pulling them in and out to take calls / talk to people in the studio over the weekend, but I'm sure I could find some new innovative ways around that. 

I could definitely see myself using these to live mix though.

Overall, after only listening with them over the weekend, I must say I'm impressed. Love the clarity, being able to hear absolutely every detail is key for me - and these do exactly that. Still trying to get used to something so deep in my ear - but that's to be expected :wink:

Will do a post after a few weeks worth of listening to see if my initial opinion is still valid! 

- Dan Hill 
NXFM Newcastle 

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #160 of 194
Wow. So got my customs on Friday. Pretty prompt shipping from Portland to Newcastle NSW - Australia. 

First impressions from listening over the weekend - Pretty good. :) 

I mean I'm no audiophile, but as a trained sound engineer and broadcaster - I'm always looking for something thats full, well balanced and not lacking. 

I can honestly say the 1964Ears V3's aren't lacking in anything. They are by no means flat like a reference monitor - it's not designed as one. Bass is pretty hefty - For me when there's some pumping bass, it feels like I've got my head next to a Subwoofer. Very clear and not muddy, I was going to go for the Quads, and I'm glad I didn't, they might have been a tad over kill on the bass for me. Mids are present, and the highs are slightly emphasised - Just the way I like it. :)

I come from an industry which typically uses over ear semi aural headphones - Namely the AKG K141 (in all it's variations). The isolation for me is a little difficult to get used to, but with more and more use, it's becoming less of a problem. But what comes with the isolation, is clarity at lower volumes, which is the reason why I dived right into customs. I haven't yet used them in a live environment with a ton of ambient noise, but look forward to doing so in the next few weeks. 

Fit for me is pretty damn near perfect. There's a little looseness on the right hand side, but it doesn't break the seal enough to lose any of the bass response which is interesting. It just feels like the IEM itself could be a little tighter in my ear like the left one. Might try and find some clear acrylic nail polish to build up a layer and see if it makes a difference. 

Build quality is awesome. I did find one small air bubble in one of the monitors, but I'm literally nit picking - Overall build is absolutely perfect. Love how clear the IEMs are - exactly what I wanted. 

I'm not sure how these will fare with my on air work, I did find myself pulling them in and out to take calls / talk to people in the studio over the weekend, but I'm sure I could find some new innovative ways around that. 

I could definitely see myself using these to live mix though.

Overall, after only listening with them over the weekend, I must say I'm impressed. Love the clarity, being able to hear absolutely every detail is key for me - and these do exactly that. Still trying to get used to something so deep in my ear - but that's to be expected :wink:

Will do a post after a few weeks worth of listening to see if my initial opinion is still valid! 

- Dan Hill 
NXFM Newcastle 

Some pictures ? :D

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #161 of 194
Hi,

I own a Weston 4 IEM.
I would like to know if moving to 1964 V3 will be a qualitative leap.
I'm looking for a musical and warm (a little bit) IEM for vocals and acoustic music.

My current DAP is a HiSound Studio V 3rd Anniversary but I plan to move to an Ibasso DX 50.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #162 of 194
Hi,

I own a Weston 4 IEM.
I would like to know if moving to 1964 V3 will be a qualitative leap.
I'm looking for a musical and warm (a little bit) IEM for vocals and acoustic music.

My current DAP is a HiSound Studio V 3rd Anniversary but I plan to move to an Ibasso DX 50.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards.

I've only heard the Westone 4 briefly, but I'd call it a more neutral sound, kind of boring when compared to the 1964 Ears V3. The V3 is just colored enough to be exciting - smooth, warm, and fun, but not overdone, as compared to strictly neutral. Based on your description V3 might be a good match. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #165 of 194
  1964 Ears V3

[...]

[size=small]Owners of the 1964-T face a tough decision: the T is still a fantastic sounding monitor, yet the V3 is superior by a not-insignificant margin. Is it worth shelling out another $400+ to upgrade? I'd say yes and no... if you find yourself wishing for a more spacious presentation, better micro-detail, and just a higher technical ability in general, the V3 should satisfy those needs. But if you expect a completely different sound, you should look elsewhere, as the V3 is more evolutionary than revolutionary. But it [/size][size=small]is [/size][size=small]a rather large evolution. As I said, tough call. [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small][...][/size]

This just made me a lot more comfortable with my decision to go with the half-priced 1964-T compared to the V3.  Great review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back