Review: 1964 Ears V3 triple driver custom IEM (updated 10/24/12)
Aug 16, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #181 of 194
Nah. I've had my V3's >2 yrs & used them for, oh...Maybe 2000 hrs (maybe more) & the sound hasn't changed since the day I got them. Brain burn in maybe though :wink:)

Cheers - I am anxiously refreshing my order page - can't wait!

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #183 of 194
Love the faceplates. It will be well worth the wait :wink:

Faceplates are homage to:
Iron Maiden (left - skull)
Ne Obliviscaris (right - O)

Two of my most favourite bands!

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #184 of 194
This might be a long shot, but I wonder if anyone reading this thread has been able to compare the Westone UM Pro 30 or 50 against the V3/A3/U3. I've had the UM3X and then UM Pro 30 for a while and I loved them, but felt they were lacking on certain songs. Trying to decide on something to replace them(went through the washing machine - not my fault >.>). I find myself leaning towards the UM Pro 50 as a logical upgrade from the 30s I like, but I really love the reviews on the V3 in the multi-IEM review thread. Then I read that the A3/U3 are potentially better than the V3(but the Pro 50 is still more drivers = better? wish it was so easy). 

I should note I think my ears are very easy to seal/isolate with universals, had 0 issues with the Westones, was able to forget they were on, and the isolation was excellent, so I'm not sure I need to jump to customs.

I typically listen to songs with female vocals and lot of....everything? The best way to describe it is just to say Sawano Hiroyuki is a god. My favorite track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X834a6ggIUA

Thanks to everyone for posting so much information here, all my research(read: googling) brings me back to head-fi.

Edit: This is not the thread I meant to post this, sorry.

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #186 of 194

Well after much deliberation between these and the Alclair Reference, I choose the V3 and ordered the last pair. My first CIEM and my first real IEM. Very exciting.

Nice! I use mine to this day despite owning many other. V3 is (or was) a solid performer and a great value. Hopefully the newer A3 is at least as good.

May 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #187 of 194
Got my V3s after about 4 weeks of build time. I am so stoked on them, they sound great. It is nice to have something so musical in my collection of listening tools. Most of my gear is reference but these bring out the life in the low end and are just beautiful. My only regret is not going even more custom on the color and getting translucent blue glitter and no logo.

May 12, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #189 of 194
So since these are my first CIEM i have a question about fit. I am still in my refit window. My right ear seems perfect, very little sore on the ear itself and i can barley tell they are in my ear at all. The left ear i have to twist a bit farther to get it to seal and when i do the back part of my ear where turns in and start folding at the top gets sore. Its like twisting to far and that part gets the IEM right on it. I only notice it when I have been listening for 3 hours or more and it goes away pretty quickly. Should i have them refit the left ear? Is this normal? 

what is the normal amount of soreness on the ear after many days of long listening? 

also, did you guys have to burn in your V3s?

May 12, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #190 of 194
So since these are my first CIEM i have a question about fit. I am still in my refit window. My right ear seems perfect, very little sore on the ear itself and i can barley tell they are in my ear at all. The left ear i have to twist a bit farther to get it to seal and when i do the back part of my ear where turns in and start folding at the top gets sore. Its like twisting to far and that part gets the IEM right on it. I only notice it when I have been listening for 3 hours or more and it goes away pretty quickly. Should i have them refit the left ear? Is this normal?

what is the normal amount of soreness on the ear after many days of long listening?

also, did you guys have to burn in your V3s?

P86 is probably a much better person to answer these questions than me (certainly the fit question), but I'll bite anyways :wink:

With regard to the fit, you've got a couple of weeks to see how it pans out. If you've never worn customs before, it may be a case of your ear (that left one in particular) adjusting to having a hard bit of plastic in it for a couple of hours at a time. Any discomfort should subside after a week or two depending on how often you use them. With that said, you're in the US, 64Audio are in the US, so if it's still an issue in a week or two, definitely get it sorted within the refit period. Depending on the nature of the issue, they might tell you to get new impressions (which may be worth doing regardless). If you do go for a refit, giving them as much info as possible about where it's tight/digging in hurting will help them figure out what needs to be done with regard to them rectifying the issue.

Hopefully it's just a transitory thing for you though :)

So far as burn in goes, no I didn't burn in my V3's. I won't go into the why/why not/etc as that's probably best left for Sound Science :tongue_smile: And honestly, they sound the same to me after a crapload of use (>1000 hrs) Vs when I got them. YMMV, obviously though.

Edit to add - Congrats on the purchase, btw :) You'll love the V3's. Yep, definitely a 'musical'/fun sound to just listen to for hours. Nothing really sounds bad through them (unless it's really crappily recorded).

May 12, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #191 of 194
thank you for the reply. I ware them for longer periods of time than a few hours. which is why i am wondering if the fit issues are just actual outer ear fatigue or if they have a fit issue in one spot. If the fit is the case then i will refit them for sure. If it is just the nature of customs and having them in my ear for 4 or 5 hours at a time with small breaks then that is just how it is. I have no reference to know.

May 12, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #192 of 194
First time CIEM use is really weird - unnatural feeling, for a while. Give it a few weeks and don't overdo it at first. I usually suggest wearing a half hour per day at first. Then move up to 1 hour a day. After a few weeks of this you'll be up to several hours at a time without much trouble, but don't rush it and don't overdo it.

If you still have discomfort after that, it could be a fit issue.  

May 20, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #193 of 194
This is a ridiculous question I know but I have the opportunity to buy these for next to nothing but obviously they would need re-shelling but my question is this - has anybody purchased a CIEM and found the fit ok even though they were customized for another??

I mean if you could buy these for say $75 AUD would it be worth the gamble??

May 20, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #194 of 194
I would say just get it re-shelled. The odds of it fitting right are slim to none. And an Ok fit will mean a serious degradation in the sound. These things require a seal to bring the full spectrum of sound to your ear drums. For that price with the re-she'll it really should not be expensive for a wonderful pair of CIEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back