Review: 1964 Ears V3 triple driver custom IEM (updated 10/24/12)
Dec 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #166 of 194

This just made me a lot more comfortable with my decision to go with the half-priced 1964-T compared to the V3.  Great review.

Thanks - I do still break out the 1964-T once in a while, and it remains a very enjoyable IEM. I think you'll like it. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #167 of 194
What are peoples thoughts/experiences with the V3's amped ? Amping mine has taken listening to them to a whole new level for me (though obviously your source is going to have a fair amount of say in things as well).

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #168 of 194
What are peoples thoughts/experiences with the V3's amped ? Amping mine has taken listening to them to a whole new level for me (though obviously your source is going to have a fair amount of say in things as well).

Like most IEMs, the V3 doesn't need much amplification, but quality is key. Adding an outboard amp will usually give better sound, assuming it's a good amp that doesn't have issues like hiss or too much gain.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #169 of 194
Thanks for your input P86 :wink:

Yeah, that was the impression I got having done some 'research' & then having auditioned a couple of amps. For me an amp - JDS C5, sod all output impedance (I've also just bought a Fiio E12 DIY) sounds 'better' (subjective, obviously) than my un-amped DAP - AK100 MkII , 2 ohm output impedance. Bass response is better, sound is 'fuller', detail just seems 'sharper'. The AK100 is rather black, and the C5 is similarly so.

Like most IEMs, the V3 doesn't need much amplification, but quality is key. Adding an outboard amp will usually give better sound, assuming it's a good amp that doesn't have issues like hiss or too much gain.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #170 of 194
Hey Project86!

Thanks for your review! 1964 Ears certainly seems to have a very strong value proposition along their lineup.

I've been trying to make a dive into the CIEM world for a bit, and wanted something very fun and musical... almost LCD like. I've seen your comments about how the V3's approximate something Audeze-like, and was wondering how you feel the V3's match up to the Aurisonics that you've tried, as they're the other ones in consideration.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #171 of 194
  Hey Project86!

Thanks for your review! 1964 Ears certainly seems to have a very strong value proposition along their lineup.

I've been trying to make a dive into the CIEM world for a bit, and wanted something very fun and musical... almost LCD like. I've seen your comments about how the V3's approximate something Audeze-like, and was wondering how you feel the V3's match up to the Aurisonics that you've tried, as they're the other ones in consideration.

Thanks!

The V3 is roughly along the same lines as the Audeze sound. The Aurisonics I have are from the early days, and I know they have made changes over time.... but mine are way darker and warmer than any Audeze I've heard - even the original LCD-2 rev1. The 1964 V3 is more like the latest LCD-2, meaning still colored but no longer as extreme as the original. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #172 of 194
Cool! It seems like a winner so far, though the Heir 8.a seems so tempting as well in achieving that sound. It hurts so much not being able to audition the two side-by-side easily to see whether or not the extra $800 is worth it. Though I suppose going up in baby steps wouldn't hurt.

Those Heirs are freaking beautiful, though. Unnh.

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #173 of 194
So is there some comparisson with V3 vs JH5 ?
The V3 3 drivers could be better than the 2 driver JH5? 
smile_phones.gif

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #174 of 194
I am currently interested on this one. I am waiting for the Westone W40 but stumbled upon the thread.

Anyway, any comparison for those who already have both? Westone W40 retails for $499.99 while the 1964-V3 I customized costs $524.

Which one to get? Hope you could help me.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #177 of 194
Hello everyone! I know this thread is a bit old but i've been wanting to make the custom plunge and I think these might be the ones... Can anyone who has these compare them to a Shure SE 535? I know that is another popular IEM at this price range but i was very dissapointed with it, I liked my RE-262 more than those. This signature the V3 has sounds right up my valley though. I guess i just want to know if these actually do sound organic, dynamic and natural. I havent heard a Balanced Armature sound like the organic dynamic or natural sound so I guess i'm just worried about dropping 600$ on IEM's you can't try before you buy. Any input would be awesome. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #178 of 194
  Hello everyone! I know this thread is a bit old but i've been wanting to make the custom plunge and I think these might be the ones... Can anyone who has these compare them to a Shure SE 535? I know that is another popular IEM at this price range but i was very dissapointed with it, I liked my RE-262 more than those. This signature the V3 has sounds right up my valley though. I guess i just want to know if these actually do sound organic, dynamic and natural. I havent heard a Balanced Armature sound like the organic dynamic or natural sound so I guess i'm just worried about dropping 600$ on IEM's you can't try before you buy. Any input would be awesome. 

That statement isn't quite accurate. 1964 offers a demo program - you pay a deposit and they send you a universal version - suffice to say it is a popular program and they don't tend to have a bunch of V3 demos laying around, so there could be a wait - but rather than dump money blindfolded, you could always contact them and see how long the wait is....

Cheers 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back