REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #436 of 533
Sadly my son developed the chicken pox on Monday....even though he had the vaccine 2 years ago (when he turned 1). :frowning2:   So, it's going to take a bit more time...sorry.

Whishing good health to your son.
When you get back to your LCD-3's please compare it to the HE-6 also.
Looking forward to reading your review.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #437 of 533
^ Peter posted his comparison already...look at recent articles. It's useful and informative.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #438 of 533
Nov 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #439 of 533

Quote:
A better amp would certainly make a difference - but on the LCD3 the effect of quality of source is nothing short of jaw dropping. Previously I was still able to accept and listen casually to the LCD2 on my office rig made of top of the line portable DACs and amps. They can no longer do it for the LCD3 - on the portable rig the LCD3 still sounds better than the LCD2, but after comparing it with my home rig I know I can't go back to the portable rig to drive the LCD3 any more. Doing so will be a waste of the LCD3. 

I have not tried something "in between" though. And I do think there should a balanced price point between (1) the Esoteric K-01 / Leben 300XS and (2) the CLAS / SR71B which makes the LCD3 sound like it is worth like my office rig with the LCD2, and at the same time more affordance to the general LCD-3 owner.

Agreed on the source. Tonight I was goofing around using my iBasso D4 as the source and the difference was quite glaring between that and CDs fed from my Cambridge Audio (CD transport) into my W4S DAC-2. The LCD-3s are no where as forgiving of sources as the LCD-2 rev.1s were IMO.

Quote:
Whishing good health to your son.
When you get back to your LCD-3's please compare it to the HE-6 also.
Looking forward to reading your review.

Thanks. He's actually got one of the mildest forms of chicken pox that I've seen. Thankfully the vaccine he had 2 years ago has only given him about 20 spots (zero fever or flu like symptoms). But with the daycare rules what they are, my wife and I have tagged each other taking days off work to watch him.

As mentioned, I have released my LCD-2 rev.2 / LCD-3 comparisons:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

I only had a few days with my LCD-2s that are now on their way to their new owner in la belle province.

Quote:
^ Peter posted his comparison already...look at recent articles. It's useful and informative.

Thanks!
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #440 of 533

Quote:
The LCD-3s are no where as forgiving of sources as the LCD-2 rev.1s were IMO.

Bummer, that's one of my favorite things about the rev.1. Can't have everything I guess!

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #441 of 533
I agree. I can no longer listen to the LCD3 on my CLAS->DB2->SR71B combo, which I have used extensively with the LCD2. The Esoteric K-01 really made the LCD3 shine.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #442 of 533
Excellent review! You took the words out of my mouth and some I didn't know I had :). I have had my 3's 6 days now and I am really floored by them. I wanted to write a review or some impressions but I feel you really hit this on the head. They are without a doubt the best headphones I have ever heard. All week I have been back and forth with V1 & V2. The 3's are a different headphone to me. Although they have that Audeze thing. They are unbelievably neutral! I have never heard a more sophisticated high end. This is a critical area for me and I am really sensItive to it. For reference I was using an iPod Touch, CLAS,SR71B and th Q Audio Banced cable. The combination is just killer. Also ALO interconnects!
if I can ever catch Alex I am buying him many cocktails for making this happen. I was and am a big fan of th V1, the V2 for some reason had a little treble thing I did not like with my current set up. The 3's are the real thing. 
I just wanted to say thanks for a great review. I always find yours very useful. That is why I tried Q Audio's cable! I love it!
m

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #443 of 533
Anybody have a chance to compare the LCD-3 with the O2 Mk1 as yet?  That's the comparison I'm really looking forward to hearing, given the similar price brackets for both items.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #444 of 533

Quote:
I am getting the LCD-3 but I will certainly keep the LCD2 Rev 1.  I suspect that the LCD-2 Rev 1 will become a classic just like the Sony R10 after some years. What the Rev 2 "improved" on, the LCD-3/4/5 will certainly do much better - but I believe that the creaminess of the Rev 1 is something quite unique and therefore worth keeping in the long run, at least to me.

I'm doing the same. (see my comparison of LCD2.1 vs LCD3 here)

The LCD3 is without a doubt a very impressive piece of audiophile equipment. Funny thing is that I'm also loving my rare LCD2.1 even more now.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #445 of 533

Quote:
Anybody have a chance to compare the LCD-3 with the O2 Mk1 as yet?  That's the comparison I'm really looking forward to hearing, given the similar price brackets for both items.

O2mk1 IMHO. Or tear off the damping on the back of the LCD-3 drivers and hope that the frequency response is going to remain the same. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #446 of 533
Why would an undamped ortho sound more like a stat?  If you're just referring to soundstage, then yes it would have bigger soundstage and stats don't have a layer of damping that limits soundstage.  But in terms of speed, even FR, tonal balance, I think the 3 might turn into a resonant rev.1 with no damping.  Who knows though...

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #447 of 533
Behind the circular sheet of thin felt, there's a pretty thick layer of fuzzy stuff over the driver. I'm tempted to experiment, but I need to find a suitable replacement material in case I need to go back. The fuzzy stuff appears to be glued around the plate where the driver is mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back