REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 11, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #406 of 533

Quote:
I know Car tech's listen to the engine, but I thought SP might have some interesting details to share?  I like the idea of using our finely tuned hearing for something useful.  You know in the real world, with real humanoids. 

I've seen Das Boot, but I'm not sure car techs in 2011 America use the same tactics as German submarine techs in WWII?

You'd think it would be kinda cool to be rebuilding engines and stuff as a motor mechanic, but the good comes with the bad.  If you happen to see someone driving along slowly rotating his head left and right, up and down and tilting side to side with an intense look of concentration - that guy is not crazy, he might be an auto technician acting like an owl trying to locate every single interior noise, rattle and squeek in a 3 dimensional plane.  Quality control is a big issue to today's manufacturers.  Also most mechanical failures will incur a mechanical sounding anomaly, stethoscopes (I just use a long screwdriver and stick the handle to my ear when I'm too lazy to fetch a stethoscope), microphones and headphones are used also when isolating noises that occur when driving.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #407 of 533

Quote:
Order placed. Since I am in another part of the world mine will probably arrive mid to late next week. Should be one of the first to hear in Hong Kong though. I will test it with my Esoteric K-01 -> Leben CS300XS combo once I get it, before bringing it to office to use it with the CLAS DB2 SR71B fully balanced brick combo.

Mine should arrive around the same time. Will do it on Eclipse/CS300XS/EAR909, and I do think EAR909 counts for a high end pure A solid state headphone amp. Will report back after having a good listen.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #408 of 533
I would have tested the LCD-3 on a iPhone 3G. No need to go overboard.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #410 of 533
My payment for the LCD-3s was just submitted....according to Sankar they will be shipping out tomorrow. ETA early next week....I shall report back my thoughts once they arrive.
biggrin.gif
Exciting times! We should have plenty of LCD-3 reviews over the next few weeks.

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #414 of 533

Quote:
denizen does not mean what you think it means.

Pardon my liberal use of the term for a colorful purpose.    I was substituting "particular place" for the realm of headphone existence where ever that might be found and I meant to use denizen in place of the occupant of that particular place.  I was interrupted by a visit from my local banker to sign some refinancing papers as I was writing...   Lowering my mortgage payments to take advantage of the lower interest rates so I can afford more audio gear...  Oh and thanks for pointing that out I am myself a stickler for these things.

[size=medium]  [/size]

[size=medium] den·i·zen/ˈdenəzən/[/size]

Noun:
An inhabitant or occupant of a particular place.

Synonyms: inhabitant - resident - habitant - dweller - occupant
More info »Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #415 of 533

Quote:
It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the price and availability of the LCD-2 in the used market a week or so after the 3 arrives in everyones denizen.

I'm thinking it will stick and stay fairly stable over time. IMO (and from memory), the r3 isn't a major earth shattering departure from the r2. Sure a few people who have the r2 may decide to offload them, but I don't think there will be that many because people who can afford the r3 can probably afford to keep several other nice headphones around. And a second pair that performs reasonable close to the r3 is always nice to keep around in another part of the house or in the office.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #416 of 533
I for one will keep the Rev 1, unless the 3 can produce the same kind of creaminess which is unlikely from what I've read.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #418 of 533
Hello Skylab,

Some unrelated questions, I have notice that you have got an Imod with a 45 degree wooden dock, do you mind sharing where you get the dock? I have been hunting high and low for one but seems like you're the only that have this dock.

Thanks in advance
AW

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #419 of 533
It's from ALO audio, but I'm not sure they make those anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back