REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 10, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #392 of 533
Personally I prefer the use of CSDs to square waves in diagnosing engine valve and timing issues.

Okay...we'll just ignore the extremely low distortion measurements, the perfect electrical phase response and good impulse response and just focus on the CSD...

Did you know that the CSDs are mathematically derived from the impulse response? Yep. Hard to imagine this is possible, but they are basically the same time presented in different ways after fancy math.

Did I ever mention I love the LCD3s but can't stand 80% of r1s and 33% of r2s? It's all about FR smoothness.

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #393 of 533

Quote:
Personally I prefer the use of CSDs to square waves in diagnosing engine valve and timing issues.

You could PM me, I'd like to know more - and I can explain a much easier diagnostic method without any tools.

Did you know that the CSDs are mathematically derived from the impulse response? Yep. Hard to imagine this is possible, but they are basically the same time presented in different ways after fancy math.

Did I ever mention I love the LCD3s but can't stand 80% of r1s and 33% of r2s? It's all about FR smoothness.

Yup, did my research, understood.

Back on track, I would like to ask Skylab, if you will be able to asses the LCD3s with a high end, pure solid state desktop amplifier and comment on what your stance is WRT a pure solid state VS a high-end transformer coupled amplifier like your Leben.  I am thinking of tubes as always and admit to having never heard a transformer coupled amp better than my Cayin HA-1A, of course the only two transformer coupled amplifiers I heard is that one and the Ming Da which you have owned at one point and felt that the Cayin was a league above the Ming Da with the LCD2s.

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #394 of 533
I guess it depends on what you consider "high end".  As far as pure solid state goes, I personally consider my restored/rebuilt/recapped Pioneer SX-1980 to be just that, but I am sure some would argue it isn't a dedicated headphone amp (note though that the SX-1980's headphone out is derived directly from the main power amp).  And the LCD-3 sound excellent from the SX-1980.  

I also like the LCD-3 from the new Meier Corda Classic (review coming next month).  So certainly one does not have to use a tube amp to have the LCD-3 sound good.  Do I prefer the LCD-3 with the Leben?  Yes, slightly.

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #395 of 533
The "highest end" solid state amplifier I have used with a headphone is still the Accuphase C-3800 flagship preamp (MSRP around US$20,000) which I auditioned with the Esoteric K-01 with G-0Rb clock at the Hong Kong distributor of Esoteric and Accuphase. Pretty amazing experience even though I was just using the LCD-2 Rev 1. The sound was simply sublime - as I said - perfect. Maybe still not as detailed as the 009 but I clearly remember during that two hours I was kind of stunned listening to song after song.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #396 of 533
Hi Skylab,

I am thinking of transitioning to the High end.  Do you think I would be able to drive the LCD-3 with my Nuforce HDP or a Pioneer SA-1050 amp until I save enough later for a better amp?

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #397 of 533

Quote:
 And I have never worked on any Subaru, where'd that one come from?

Thought you said you had one awhile back, must have been a different Aussie.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #398 of 533

Quote:
How do you use hearing with auto repair?  That sounds pretty cool. 

All the time actually.  Technicians have Stethoscopes too.  At least good ones.  Go watch Das Boot.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #399 of 533
I know Car tech's listen to the engine, but I thought SP might have some interesting details to share?  I like the idea of using our finely tuned hearing for something useful.  You know in the real world, with real humanoids. 

I've seen Das Boot, but I'm not sure car techs in 2011 America use the same tactics as German submarine techs in WWII?

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #400 of 533

Quote:
Hi Skylab,

I am thinking of transitioning to the High end.  Do you think I would be able to drive the LCD-3 with my Nuforce HDP or a Pioneer SA-1050 amp until I save enough later for a better amp?

Unfortunately I haven't heard either, so I really cannot comment.

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #401 of 533
My payment for the LCD-3s was just submitted....according to Sankar they will be shipping out tomorrow. ETA early next week....I shall report back my thoughts once they arrive.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #402 of 533
Nice, Peter! I truly look forward to your impressions!

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #403 of 533
Nov 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #404 of 533
Order placed. Since I am in another part of the world mine will probably arrive mid to late next week. Should be one of the first to hear in Hong Kong though. I will test it with my Esoteric K-01 -> Leben CS300XS combo once I get it, before bringing it to office to use it with the CLAS DB2 SR71B fully balanced brick combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back