REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 18, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #452 of 533
Now that I have the LCD3s and love them, for me, there is still a place for the LCD2s Rev2s also, as they sound quite a bit different.
The LCD3s have more satisfying, resonant bass and better definition and are glorious on better recordings, but the LCD2 Rev2s hold back just a smidgen and are wonderful on
recordings that have glare or boom. So together they make a nice pair. I need both.
The Q-audio cable (with conventional 1/4-inch plug) is great on either.
Both Audezes have supplanted my T1s, HD800s, D7000s, and, alas, my (bass-light) R10s.
Time marches on...

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #453 of 533

Quote:
For me, the LCD3 leaves the O2 with the 007t in the dust, both in sound quality & comfort. I may stop buying headphones for good with the LCD3 & LCD2s Rev2s I have.

It always amazes me how two people who both enjoy music and listen to a lot of it can have such different preferences. I haven't heard the 3 yet, but for me, the LCD2 was not in the same league as the Omega. Hell, it's hard for me to even compare them because they are just in such different categories for me. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #454 of 533

Quote:
Behind the circular sheet of thin felt, there's a pretty thick layer of fuzzy stuff over the driver. I'm tempted to experiment, but I need to find a suitable replacement material in case I need to go back. The fuzzy stuff appears to be glued around the plate where the driver is mounted.

Oh, so there is a Senn veil.  Thought so.  
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #456 of 533
Explains why folks have been cranking up knobs on the LCD3 even though they are supposed to be more sensitive.  People are going to need a solid desktop amp to power through the extra acoustic impedance like the HD600/650 though I figure that's not a problem for folks buying $2K headphones.  
Except for the chap who running his laptop w/ all sorts of ToTL phones.  That was fun.  
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #457 of 533
I know Sankar said they were more sensitive, but I was cranking up the volume knob about an 1/8 turn more with the LCD3 than the r2.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #459 of 533
Almost same thing. Not flabby or uncontrolled, at least for me, but just muddy, imprecise, and without punch. I much preferred the r2 bass.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #460 of 533

Quote:
Almost same thing. Not flabby or uncontrolled, at least for me, but just muddy, imprecise, and without punch. I much preferred the r2 bass.

Really? I find the bass more controlled than my R2s (which I was able to A-B directly over 2 nights). See what I mean about consensus?

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #461 of 533

Quote:
Really? I find the bass more controlled than my R2s (which I was able to A-B directly over 2 nights). See what I mean about consensus?

That's because you both have different phones.  
blink.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #465 of 533

Quote:

That's why you are not on my list of people whom I would trust.
tongue.gif
Besides I never said it was uncontrolled or flabby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back