Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Aug 11, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #301 of 398
thanks for peak info. I'll check eq.

Congrats on purchase sounds like a good deal to me. The little round silver outside cover is all I had to remove to get to the port. Just be careful of wires take as much time as you need and just peel or push the port seal off with flat blade or something. Note for the covers you have to turn (one way only) and pull the covers off because they have clips. If you break them don't stress. The way to get the cover off without scratching is to get a baby pin bend the tip and poke through of the many holes and pull sideways and out. If you've done it before its like a 5 min job, well worth it. :wink:

Note my headphone was similar k702.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #302 of 398
Tyll at InnerFidelity recently graphed the frequency response of MarcoGV's bass modded AKG Q 701. A link to the graph is below for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQ701DIYModifiedMarcoGVBassMod.pdf

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #303 of 398
  Tyll at InnerFidelity recently graphed the frequency response of MarcoGV's bass modded AKG Q 701. A link to the graph is below for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQ701DIYModifiedMarcoGVBassMod.pdf

Also see brief comments by Tyll at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-april-2015-update#zh7TXppGRiWTVmL5.97
That is my headphone, by the way.
beyersmile.png

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #304 of 398
First of all, hi there! I have been reading and digging around quite some time at Head-Fi, but now I'm really in. This forum is quite addictive, I fear for my bank account... :wink:

After 4 years of occasional use of my K701 I recently started to use it more and more. But whereas I used to run it with a Marantz CD player and an Aune X1 Pro dac/amp, I now use it mainly with a Macbook Pro. Period. No dac, amp or any fancyness in between, though I know the K701 really needs (and deserves) a decent amount of power to make it sing. But without the necessary power it's terrible! A macbook is no match at all for a K701, the harshness and coldness was unbearable. So I started searching for inexpensive ways to solve this and stumbled upon this modification. It took me several hours, a lot of swearing, a few drops of blood and I ended up with battered grills. But man, it was worth it.

The original sound of the K701 is amazing to my ears. I kind of grew up with the K501s of my dad and therefore am a bit of an AKG fan soundwise. I love the airy, open sound, the details in the upper mids and treble, the detail and texture in the lows. And with decent music and decent amplification really liked the way the bass is extended really low and precisely articulated, without being too loud. Then the mod happened.

First of all, just like I hoped and expected from what I read about it, it's way more enjoyable and usable directly hooked to a Macbook. Mission accomplished. But to really understand what changed I started to play some CD's on the cans through my CD/DAC/AMP setup and I was surprised. The highs are rolled off quite a lot more then I expected based on the reports in this thread. This makes it less detailed, but to my ears more forgiving on harsh voices and less fatiguing. The lows are definitely louder, and again quite a lot more then I expected. So my first impression: messed up the treble, added too much excessive lows. But then I tried to let go of the nitpicking, I tried to forget what it sounded like before the mod and I tried to enjoy the music. And it started to make sense. It's still pretty tight and textured in the lows, but sooooooo enjoyable!! It's funky, it grooves. My head automatically moves to the grove and my heart syncs up with the bassdrum. It sounds quite a bit warmer and therefore to my mind a bit more relaxed. As if I can relax more to enjoy the music. Though I have to say I understand the people who don't like it or thinks completely open is too much. The difference was way more dramatic than I expected. That piece of plastic seems some kind of magic. 

The only downside to this story is that now I'd like to have another K70X without the mod for the occasional acoustic oriented, beatless records that benefit from the open/airy top end. :D

So thanks guys. Besides being informative and making me want to buy more stuff, you also introduced me to the world of headphones modifications. :)

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #305 of 398
First of all, hi there! I have been reading and digging around quite some time at Head-Fi, but now I'm really in. This forum is quite addictive, I fear for my bank account... :wink:

After 4 years of occasional use of my K701 I recently started to use it more and more. But whereas I used to run it with a Marantz CD player and an Aune X1 Pro dac/amp, I now use it mainly with a Macbook Pro. Period. No dac, amp or any fancyness in between, though I know the K701 really needs (and deserves) a decent amount of power to make it sing. But without the necessary power it's terrible! A macbook is no match at all for a K701, the harshness and coldness was unbearable. So I started searching for inexpensive ways to solve this and stumbled upon this modification. It took me several hours, a lot of swearing, a few drops of blood and I ended up with battered grills. But man, it was worth it.

The original sound of the K701 is amazing to my ears. I kind of grew up with the K501s of my dad and therefore am a bit of an AKG fan soundwise. I love the airy, open sound, the details in the upper mids and treble, the detail and texture in the lows. And with decent music and decent amplification really liked the way the bass is extended really low and precisely articulated, without being too loud. Then the mod happened.

First of all, just like I hoped and expected from what I read about it, it's way more enjoyable and usable directly hooked to a Macbook. Mission accomplished. But to really understand what changed I started to play some CD's on the cans through my CD/DAC/AMP setup and I was surprised. The highs are rolled off quite a lot more then I expected based on the reports in this thread. This makes it less detailed, but to my ears more forgiving on harsh voices and less fatiguing. The lows are definitely louder, and again quite a lot more then I expected. So my first impression: messed up the treble, added too much excessive lows. But then I tried to let go of the nitpicking, I tried to forget what it sounded like before the mod and I tried to enjoy the music. And it started to make sense. It's still pretty tight and textured in the lows, but sooooooo enjoyable!! It's funky, it grooves. My head automatically moves to the grove and my heart syncs up with the bassdrum. It sounds quite a bit warmer and therefore to my mind a bit more relaxed. As if I can relax more to enjoy the music. Though I have to say I understand the people who don't like it or thinks completely open is too much. The difference was way more dramatic than I expected. That piece of plastic seems some kind of magic. 

The only downside to this story is that now I'd like to have another K70X without the mod for the occasional acoustic oriented, beatless records that benefit from the open/airy top end. :D

So thanks guys. Besides being informative and making me want to buy more stuff, you also introduced me to the world of headphones modifications. :)

Lol, I bought myself an extra K701 and K702 unmodded to keep.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #307 of 398
Just wondering if this mod works with the K7XX's? I quickly searched within this thread couldn't couldn't verify if someone has actual went through with the mod on their Massdrop AKG's. Also if anyone can point me to other threads about K701/702/7XX mods it would be much appreciated. There are certain characteristics of this headphone that I'm not overly fond of, but I know there's potential. Thanks!

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #310 of 398
Recently purchased a pair of Q701s. Tried them a few times and was about to send them back when I came across the mods posted here. Since they weren't that expensive I decided to give the mods a shot yesterday and have to say I can't believe I'm listening to the same headphones. First removed the bass seal and then replaced the foam with microfiber. Even went ahead and cut the four middle bumps out of the headband (huge improvement in comfort). Anyway, the difference in bass definitely makes them more "fun". I can see myself using these quite a bit now.

But most impressive, as someone posted on here, was when I plugged them into a vintage Marantz receiver. Wow. The added warmth and slam was a significant improvement over my Bel Canto dac/headphone amp. The Q701s will now reside in my bedroom with the Marantz. Thanks for the great tip to try this out!

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #311 of 398
Say...has anyone tried to reverse the mod with different stickers? I want to reverse the mod, but I lost the stickers and I don't think anyone sells replacements for those. :p Will regular tape do the trick?

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #312 of 398
Say...has anyone tried to reverse the mod with different stickers? I want to reverse the mod, but I lost the stickers and I don't think anyone sells replacements for those. :p Will regular tape do the trick?

I'd be concerned with scotch tape sticking too well.  I used painter's (a form of masking) tape.

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #313 of 398
I'd be concerned with scotch tape sticking too well.  I used painter's (a form of masking) tape.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was considering using since making tape I have lying around, too, as the porous nature seems to match the original sticker a bit better than scotch tape. Assuming you reversed the mod with painter's tape, do you notice any difference, by memory, between the original Q701 vs the reversed Q701 with tape?

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #315 of 398
So, anyone thinks the K7XX benefits from this? I have it and while I might be wishing for a little bit more bass I fear it might add too much and affect other frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back