Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Aug 1, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #286 of 398
That's pretty interesting. I've mostly read around forums that improved sound from different cables was a myth. I've wanted a cable to replace the stock k7xx as it's way to long for me, but that's quite the price tag for merely a cable.

You really need to listen for yourself. The most ardent, yet educated, objectivists would never claim such a thing without citing similar LCR characteristics. It's complicated. Preference-based listening isn't.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #289 of 398
That's pretty interesting. I've mostly read around forums that improved sound from different cables was a myth. I've wanted a cable to replace the stock k7xx as it's way to long for me, but that's quite the price tag for merely a cable.

Actually I only replaced the stock 1/4 inch plug with a furutech 1/4 inch plug. I still have the original cable from the k 701. I think the stock cable at least on the k 701 is a pretty decent cable. Besides the cable on the k 701 is hardwired the problem was at the plug end fortunately. The plug was all that was changed and the connection at the plug was silver soldered.
   To be honest I was really surprised at how different the 701s sounded with the new furutech plug. The change in sound was very obvious and easily heard after a few hours break in.
   The furutech plug is pretty inexpensive it could easily have cost more given the plugs construction quality.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #290 of 398
 Actually I only replaced the stock 1/4 inch plug with a furutech 1/4 inch plug. I still have the original cable from the k 701. I think the stock cable at least on the k 701 is a pretty decent cable. Besides the cable on the k 701 is hardwired the problem was at the plug end fortunately. The plug was all that was changed and the connection at the plug was silver soldered.
   To be honest I was really surprised at how different the 701s sounded with the new furutech plug. The change in sound was very obvious and easily heard after a few hours break in.
   The furutech plug is pretty inexpensive it could easily have cost more given the plugs construction quality.

Thanks for this! do you have any links?

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #291 of 398
Thanks for this! do you have any links?

Go to revolution power the furutech plug is the fp-704 stereo plug. The plug costs only $16.55 usd. This plug was a killer product for a very inexpensive tweak. This was really a surprise as to how much improvement i realized by just changing the plug using silver solder on the plug.
  This plug is bomb proof looking at its construction.

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #292 of 398
Of course!

Do you have any recommendations for better cables? If I were to get this Furutech plug I would end up having to solder. Might as well solder it to a better, shorter cable. Cables with XLR would be nice so I won't need research good XLR's and solder that as well 
tongue.gif
 But if it comes down to it, then I will. I am also not trying to spend over $20+ per feet for a cable. Unsure if this is reasonable for a quality cable. Thank you.

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #293 of 398
Do you have any recommendations for better cables? If I were to get this Furutech plug I would end up having to solder. Might as well solder it to a better, shorter cable. Cables with XLR would be nice so I won't need research good XLR's and solder that as well :p  But if it comes down to it, then I will. I am also not trying to spend over $20+ per feet for a cable. Unsure if this is reasonable for a quality cable. Thank you.

I'm genuinely glad you're interested in better sound, but I, personally, have little to no experience with headphone cables. All of mine are factory. Interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords not so much. :)

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #297 of 398
one effect I seem to notice was the though the sound is airy already on the original, the sound seem to open up with a sense of space also the bass REALLY does make the headphone fun, sort of sugary sound now with the highs. The detail and light airiness is still there and the bass though enhanced still has that light and unobtrusive sound.

these headphones especially like stringed instruments! MOD Yes

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #299 of 398
ANyone know where the peak is in k702? Or is it my eq?

IIRC, the 702s are pretty flat and reach their highest point around 5k, there's a sharp peak at around 15k... there's a graph floating around here somewhere. You might be hearing those, or possibly your EQ and/or other components are making it more noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back