Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Aug 20, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #316 of 398
So, anyone thinks the K7XX benefits from this? I have it and while I might be wishing for a little bit more bass I fear it might add too much and affect other frequencies.
Have you tried playing with EQ? You will have more fine control on getting exactly what you want.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #317 of 398
Have you tried playing with EQ? You will have more fine control on getting exactly what you want.

Oh, I generally find the bass response adequate :)
Was just wondering what the bass mod does.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #318 of 398
Oh, I generally find the bass response adequate
smily_headphones1.gif

Was just wondering what the bass mod does.

This should describe what happens much better than I ever can. :D

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-april-2015-update#hLEK9H4iXJB8vecl.97

Just search "bass mod" in the "Find on page" option of your browser to find the part about the modded Q701. Click on the name to see the measurements.

Not sure about how it will work on the K7XX as they have different pads that change the sound signature.

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #319 of 398
Hey... so I lent my Q701s to a friend, and the little cover on the outside of the grill that you first twist off/ remove when doing the bass mod fell off and is lost. Does anybody know if / where you can get a new one? I'm looking to sell my Q701s for K550s, maybe.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #320 of 398
Best bet is to ask AKG or a distributor of theirs :]

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #321 of 398
I just modded K7XX and very happy with the result. Should say that maybe for those who like flat character of sound it could be too much bass. But I like that bass become senseble, I could feel it not only hear.

I listen hard metal, jazz, blues and some time electronic music. For metal this mod has outstanding positive impact. It is like these headphones were meant for metal! Same is for electronic. For blues and jazz, for my taste this mod is also ok, but maybe in some tracks it seams like there is a bit more bass as I used to. But still is fine.

Overall it is like all instruments in all my music gained a body.

I like it. :)

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #322 of 398
I just modded K7XX and very happy with the result. Should say that maybe for those who like flat character of sound it could be too much bass. But I like that bass become senseble, I could feel it not only hear.

I listen hard metal, jazz, blues and some time electronic music. For metal this mod has outstanding positive impact. It is like these headphones were meant for metal! Same is for electronic. For blues and jazz, for my taste this mod is also ok, but maybe in some tracks it seams like there is a bit more bass as I used to. But still is fine.

Overall it is like all instruments in all my music gained a body.

I like it. :)

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #323 of 398
I'm seriously considering this mod. I got the K701, 3-4 months ago. Started with a nuForce uDAC-2, then grabbed a Fulla 2 (mainly to be used when travelling) and secondarily to be used just as an amp with the Modi Multibit.
And last week got a Lyr 2, my first desktop amp. (Still haven't had a chance to get tubes with focus in the Low Frequency). 

The problem is,
40% of the time I'm listening old Rock (where I think they are weak) and some electric guitar rock.
40% of the time I'm listening modern music (chill-out electronic, etc) where I think the K701 are good at;
10% of the time classical music, Jazz, opera, games, etc (where I think they are the best). 
10% the rest.

I'm considering the chance of getting a second pair of HPs, maybe the HD650s, to be used with rock, and who knows what more. But honestly, If I can make the K701s a good pair for old Rock music, without affecting the other genres, maybe I could try this mod! What do you think?
(Also, I like the idea of having only 1 pair of HPs because I don't have too much space at home). 

BTW, how much reversible is this mod? I'm terrible doing this kind of things and I fear that If I don't like it, I won't be able to 100% rollback. 

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok I did the mod 10 minutes ago. I will report back in the future regarding my conclusion! (I don't think it will be easy to rollback this considering the little space). 

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #324 of 398
1 day review.

The mod makes the Rock more enjoyable. But I'm not sure if I like modern/electronic music like before. Those themes with hard bass (like example1, example2) became a bit more hard in my ears and I tend to listen with less volume than before (I think I'm more sensible to low frequency than hi frequency). 
EDIT: This happens specially with the Lyr 2 (with Reflektors tubes) I think with the Fulla 2, the bass is more light. Anyway. I think that the bluemonkeysflyer's mod would be optimum, since I'd like a bit more bass, but not this big difference.

I think I'll try this for a week, and after that, will try something similar to @bluemonkeyflyer 's  1.8mm~ solution here post #182 

But how exactly do you put back a tape there? I barely removed the stock cover pulling hard, the space is very limited, do you need to remove the whole driver to put back the tape? If I remove the following screw, do I get more space or it's risky to do that? 

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1013103/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #325 of 398
1 day review.

The mod makes the Rock more enjoyable. But I'm not sure if I like modern/electronic music like before. Those themes with hard bass (like example1, example2) became a bit more hard in my ears and I tend to listen with less volume than before (I think I'm more sensible to low frequency than hi frequency). 

I think I'll try this for a week, and after that, will try something similar to @bluemonkeyflyer
 's  1.8mm~ solution here post #182 

But how exactly do you put back a tape there? I barely removed the stock cover pulling hard, the space is very limited, do you need to remove the whole driver to put back the tape? If I remove the following screw, do I get more space or it's risky to do that? 

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1013103/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

I did not remove the screw.

Try using micro tweezers or place the tape disk on the tip of a mini flathead screwdriver.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #326 of 398
Ok!
I'm not sure if 1.8mm or more, and how well I pasted the stickers (I used a toothpick, but did a hole much bigger than 1.2mm, probably 2mm, and without getting rid of the leftovers, since I don't have the right tools).
But the bass is more controlled now, and can go back to higher levels. (Also I'd say bass is balanced in both Left and Right). 

The full open bass, wasn't bad anyway. At home, the same time I did the mod, I got some reflektors tubes (R.I.P. one of them now, cos it failed lol) with more bass than the previous tubes I was using. But with the Fulla 2 the full open mod was much more enjoyable (used the phones during the whole week), but still a bit more bassy than I liked (but much less than at home with the reflektors). 

So now, after putting some punched stickers, I think I mitigated the bass enough to a good balanced level. (But of course, this is all subjective. And also depends on the music. Some songs have light bass, and they are more enjoyable with full open bass mod, in general "rock". While some others like electronic music with powerful and slow bass that you can already feel with stock K701, were more painful to listen. 

@bluemonkeyflyer

thanks for the value you've added to this mod!

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #327 of 398
  Ok!
I'm not sure if 1.8mm or more, and how well I pasted the stickers (I used a toothpick, but did a hole much bigger than 1.2mm, probably 2mm, and without getting rid of the leftovers, since I don't have the right tools).
But the bass is more controlled now, and can go back to higher levels. (Also I'd say bass is balanced in both Left and Right). 

The full open bass, wasn't bad anyway. At home, the same time I did the mod, I got some reflektors tubes (R.I.P. one of them now, cos it failed lol) with more bass than the previous tubes I was using. But with the Fulla 2 the full open mod was much more enjoyable (used the phones during the whole week), but still a bit more bassy than I liked (but much less than at home with the reflektors). 

So now, after putting some punched stickers, I think I mitigated the bass enough to a good balanced level. (But of course, this is all subjective. And also depends on the music. Some songs have light bass, and they are more enjoyable with full open bass mod, in general "rock". While some others like electronic music with powerful and slow bass that you can already feel with stock K701, were more painful to listen. 

@bluemonkeyflyer

thanks for the value you've added to this mod!

Good for you! Modding does work...sometimes :wink:

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #328 of 398
You can add some bass by changing Foam discs under the earpads:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182288710174?clk_rvr_id=1247046670320&rmvSB=true
- denser material - less treble pass through.
- thicker material - more bass is there.

It realy works. I usually use two disks with different density together. Treble is noticebly muted (but still airy), Bass stronger and Soundstage seems to be a bit wider.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #329 of 398
I just 'reversed' the mod by applying electrical tape. First impression: bad. It totally sucked out all the low end. I'm thinking electrical tape might somehow be different from the original material hence the effect. But it kind of grew on me. They sound more 'controlled' across the whole spectrum now. Or do they?? Will never know for sure, I think I suffer from subjectivity.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #330 of 398
I just 'reversed' the mod by applying electrical tape. First impression: bad. It totally sucked out all the low end. I'm thinking electrical tape might somehow be different from the original material hence the effect. But it kind of grew on me. They sound more 'controlled' across the whole spectrum now. Or do they?? Will never know for sure, I think I suffer from subjectivity.

That's pretty much exactly my impressions when i modded my k701. Yes it became more bassy, but it lost a lot of control and detail, which is the characteristics i love so much about these cans. I reversed the mod pretty much instantly. Also i had two pairs of headphones at the same time, one modded one not modded. I was comparing them back and forth. The not modded one just sounds better to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back