Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Jul 27, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #916 of 2,480
Quote:
Just got my replacement in, thankfully a great unit with no imperfections!

Found my old Apple remote and I agree on the Apodizing filter being the best of the bunch; the IIR filter adds a little bit of treble bite which is not unpleasant actually - I wouldn't say that is a bad thing but I still like the roundness of the Apodizing filter.

Feeding into a Parasound D/AC-2000 and a/b-ing both doing my best to level match, I find that the Para has a smidgen more detail and larger presence to the sound.  The Concero as a dac-only is by no means thin sounding but in comparison to the Parasound it falters a teeny bit here.  It truly is vey close, not even a stone's throw away.  The Concero has an amazing noise floor and has a noticeably blacker background than the Parasound, I found the same to be true with the Stello DA 100 signature not surprisingly.  It must be whatever Resonessence did with their power section/filtration is amazing; bear in mind I'm using a freebie printer usb cable with no extra usb power cleaning devices like iUSB with a Macbook plugged into the AC adapter.

Now the bad: feeding into the old Parasound I also cannot seem to use the filters which is a small bummer, only stock setting will output sound.  This is likely because the DAC handles at max 48khz.  Maybe I can downsample somehow in software?

The remote also works seemingly sporadically, not sure what the deal is here.  The Concero registers the button press but it doesn't skip songs or pause half the time when I am in Audirvana.

The Concero being a device that you can simply just listen to and enjoy even if it isn't the best seems to absolutely be my experience as well.  Wins a "not crap" award from me :wink:

Just a quick thing, i had issues with my Concero when i actually changed my Windows Audio settings to 24bit/192khz. The filters automatically upsample so you dont need to change the settings within Windows. Once i changed the Windows settings back to 16bit/44.1, i was able to set the filters again.
Could this be a similar issue your having with your Mac..??

*EDIT*

Oh wait, yeah your parasound only supports upto 48khz..? Hmmm could definitely be the issue there.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #917 of 2,480
Quote:

Just a quick thing, i had issues with my Concero when i actually changed my Windows Audio settings to 24bit/192khz. The filters automatically upsample so you dont need to change the settings within Windows. Once i changed the Windows settings back to 16bit/44.1, i was able to set the filters again.
Could this be a similar issue your having with your Mac..??

*EDIT*

Oh wait, yeah your parasound only supports upto 48khz..? Hmmm could definitely be the issue there.

Actually already tried 16/44 in audiomidi.  Good tip though. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #918 of 2,480
Quote:
Actually already tried 16/44 in audiomidi.  Good tip though. 

I can't think of a way around that limitation. Even in Audirvana where you choose a sample rate for output, you only get to control the signal as it goes from computer to DAC. Once the Concero gets it, that upsampling process still takes place. So I guess you are stuck with the stock setting unless Resonessence somehow enables separate filter changes without upsampling. Which I somehow doubt they would do. But you could always ask I suppose. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #921 of 2,480
Has anyone tried out the Concero HP? I'm curious to see how well it works with a variety of cans. Could be a great all-in-one portable box.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #922 of 2,480
Quote:
Has anyone tried out the Concero HP? I'm curious to see how well it works with a variety of cans. Could be a great all-in-one portable box.

It has arrived three days ago. GREAT all-in-one portable. I'm using it on vacation with my Senns HD800. It is awesome. 
Full sound with a very pleasant lush presentation. Didn't compared A/B but I'm not missing my current home rig (Naim Dac V1). It is incredible how this little USB powered box is performing. 

Need some more days and some A/B comparison with all my home rig but in the meantime I'm very, very happy with it! 

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #923 of 2,480
Looks killer as a small headphone rig :) I would love to hear it in a headphone setup someday.
Quote:

It has arrived three days ago. GREAT all-in-one portable. I'm using it on vacation with my Senns HD800. It is awesome. 
Full sound with a very pleasant lush presentation. Didn't compared A/B but I'm not missing my current home rig (Naim Dac V1). It is incredible how this little USB powered box is performing. 

Need some more days and some A/B comparison with all my home rig but in the meantime I'm very, very happy with it! 

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #924 of 2,480
Could someone elaborate on the differences between the HD vs. the HP? 

The HP is an amp and DAC and the HD is just a DAC, correct?  So why are they the same price?  Is the HD a better DAC than what the HP has?  

Also, can anyone compare the HP to the O2+ODAC (technically, objectively, and subjectively)?  Also, is the HP completely neutral and transparent?  

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #926 of 2,480
Quote:

Also, can anyone compare the HP to the O2+ODAC (technically, objectively, and subjectively)?

I really can't help in comparisons to the hp because I have not used it.

I did spend some time with the o2/odac and the original concero and my rhinelander and there really was not much to compare.
The concero combo easily bested them in just about every aspect except dollars.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #929 of 2,480
Holy smokes! I was using the Westone ES5 with the HP yesterday, and the sound was very impressive. Super clean but still had "soul" if you know what I mean. And the system was truly something you could take with you - MacBook Air running Audirvana, plus HP and a short cable, plus ES5. Done

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #930 of 2,480
Quote:

I wish I knew how to interpret all that information, unfortunately I do not, otherwise I would not have asked here.

Not sure why you couldn't determine this based on the site but:  The hp loses analog outputs so it cannot act as a dac feeding another amp.  The hd and hp have dsd while the original does not.  The volume output of the hd is higher than the original as a dac feeding into an amp.  All three operate as usb/spdif converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back