Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Mar 19, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #408 of 2,480
Now just received concero. At the weekend I will share experiences.
size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #409 of 2,480
Hope they can keep the same form factor with the upgraded chip. And hopefully keep it within a couple hundred of the current Concero. If they did that, I'd preorder one.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #410 of 2,480
Quote:
Hope they can keep the same form factor with the upgraded chip. And hopefully keep it within a couple hundred of the current Concero. If they did that, I'd preorder one.

Don't forget about Teac UD-501 - much more inputs/outputs, 32/384 PCM support over USB, DSD of course, very good price...

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #411 of 2,480
Don't forget about Teac UD-501 - much more inputs/outputs, 32/384 PCM support over USB, DSD of course, very good price...

Shame I couldn't get my hands on a Teac UD-501... looked good on paper but nobody sells it here and I'm not comfortable dropping that kinda cash on it un"seen", even tho it could be at a decent price where you are...

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #412 of 2,480
Quote:

Yep, the Teach looks nice, and there was one on the FS forum not long ago for a good price.  I am a big fan of how small the Concero is.  Almost everything else with good functionality or performance seems to me many times larger.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #413 of 2,480
Quote:
I don't think anyone has posted this yet, but Resonessence has announced a new Concero that will support DSD and have a higher end Sabre chip. Check their Twitter feed.

They also tweeted, in response to a question from some idiot,
biggrin.gif
that there will be an upgrade path for owners of the current model.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #414 of 2,480
That made me feel much better since I just bought my Concero last week, but I just checked their twitter and now they say:

I should be a bit clearer. We will look at the options of an upgrade path once we are closer to releasing the product.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #416 of 2,480
I spoke with Mark Mallinson a while back about current Concero owners and the potential for upgrades or trade-ins. I basically told him - the Concero is excellent, but if someone just bought one a few months ago and then a new "upgraded" model supersedes it which costs more but has more functionality, people might feel a little miffed with their "old" Concero. I've seen it happen with HiFiMAN and Audio GD among others and it's not good for anyone. I told him that he will probably have some vaguely upset customers if he doesn't figure out some strategy for handling that. He was open to the idea and assured me that some sort of accommodation would indeed be worked out, but didn't really have a concrete idea as to what it might be (at that point yet, maybe he does by now).

As we've seen with the numerous Invicta updates, Resonessence is not a company to just let their existing customers slide. They really want to keep us happy, so I imagine they will work something out with people who desire an upgrade. Some folks may not care one but about DSD and so the "regular" Concero is still perfectly fine. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #418 of 2,480
Thank you project86. That's somewhat reassuring. I guess I can't complain too much though. I did get the Concero knowing Resonessence were going to release some new stuff. It's just that I thought they were probably going to announce something larger and more expensive to fit between the Concero and Invicta in their product line which I would be able to happily ignore since the main reason I got the Concero is that I wanted something small for my modest bedroom desktop system. I know that the Concero DSD would be a new product but it having the same name and form factor makes it feel like my Concero is somehow being devalued, although I recognize that that's not necessarily a rational line of thought. You usually expect most gear to be made obsolete at some point, but I just wanted to bask in the glow of having the latest and greatest for a bit.

I certainly enjoy my Concero greatly and I have no DSD music but 32bits! That's 8 more than mine has! 
blink.gif
 Therefore it must sound better! 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #419 of 2,480
The new Concero doesn't really affect me. I max out at 24/96 and DSD is not something I care about. The Concero I have is still quite good in my book.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #420 of 2,480
No arguments there on my part. I still love my Concero and that won't change but it's that classic audio enthusiast quandary, isn't it?

"Sure, my current gear sounds good, but if only I had bought this/upgraded that/waited for the newer model, how much better would it sound?"

Anyway, to keep this relevant to the thread; if the Concero DSD is 32 bit, that would mean it's not using the Sabre ES9023, wouldn't it? In which case, there would probably be some sonic differences aside from those that arise from 24 vs 32 bit and DSD vs non-DSD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back