Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Mar 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #436 of 2,480
Quote:

Tyll definitely isn't there, but check Stereophile for some coverage. Looks like Art Dudley and Robert Deutsch are there. 

Did the show (proper) actually start yesterday? I had thought Friday was more of a "preview" day and the real deal didn't kick off until Saturday. But maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully we get some impressions going over this weekend. 

Friday  Thursday is for Trade only. So the fun begins on Saturday Friday for the audio aficionados for auditioning of stereo equipment. Good place for users to pick up a good deal as there are deals/promotion by the exhibitors/dealers.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #439 of 2,480
Quote:
Ok project spill it. What are they releasing
wink.gif

Some new stuff.

Quote:
Ok project spill it. What are they releasing
wink.gif

No need to be pushy, I already told you.... some new stuff. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #440 of 2,480
Just got back from SSI. They had a sample of the new DSD version on hand but it wasn't hooked up. The Invicta was the main attraction.

Spoke with Mark Mallison - he told me the DSD would be available in April for about $800.

For those of you wondering - it will be based on the ES9016 chip

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #442 of 2,480
Quote:
He's probably under an informal NDA with Resonessence, so we should respect that.  Patience....
wink.gif

Depending on how we define it, I'm under informal NDA with a few dozen companies. 
smily_headphones1.gif

All I can say is Resonessence has lots of good ideas for new stuff. They are limited to just a few releases at a time, done right, but as time goes on we'll see more and more cool stuff from them. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #443 of 2,480
Friday is for Trade only. So the fun begins on Saturday for the audio aficionados for auditioning of stereo equipment. Good place for users to pick up a good deal as there are deals/promotion by the exhibitors/dealers.

Actually Thursday was the trade only day. Friday had plenty of regular joes like me milling around.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #444 of 2,480
Quote:
Just got back from SSI. They had a sample of the new DSD version on hand but it wasn't hooked up. The Invicta was the main attraction.

Spoke with Mark Mallison - he told me the DSD would be available in April for about $800.

For those of you wondering - it will be based on the ES9016 chip

If it does come out at $800, that makes it a bit tougher buy. That puts it in striking range of the UD-501 which seems to be much more feature-laden, is powered by 2 torodial transformers in a dual monaural layout, and also has an LCD to boot. Of course, that doesn't say anything about the sound, but initial reports about the UD-501 have been favorable.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #445 of 2,480
Quote:

If it does come out at $800, that makes it a bit tougher buy. That puts it in striking range of the UD-501 which seems to be much more feature-laden, is powered by 2 torodial transformers in a dual monaural layout, and also has an LCD to boot. Of course, that doesn't say anything about the sound, but initial reports about the UD-501 have been favorable.

I saw the 501 today but, once again, it was idle so I moved on. One gadget that did grab my attention was the DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 hooked up to Gradient speakers. Prodigious bass.
They had a special SSI price on the DAC...very tempting.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #447 of 2,480
I agree at $800 it is a bit tough especially if you don't need DSD. Will the original Concero be discontinued?

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #448 of 2,480
Taking it up to $800 harms the Concero's value rankings, but it will still be the DAC to have unless you need balanced, then the X-Sabre is the answer, IMO.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #449 of 2,480
It puts it in an awkward "tweener" zone. People who are looking at spending just above $500 will find it hard to stretch their budget an extra $300. And those that can justify the extra expense are more likely to just save up a bit more to get into the $1000+ range since they are already close.

Makes it a hard sell. Just out of range for those truly looking for an "entry-level" high-end DAC. Close enough to the next tier that you might as well bypass the "entry-level" and just get a high-end DAC with the exponential increase in features that come with it.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #450 of 2,480
Agreed that I wouldn't go $200 more just for DSD unless the sound quality with the new chip equals or exceeds the X-Sabre... then definitely count me in if so.

However, at that price, even though it would still occupy a solid spot on the price/performance curve, it would be out of reach of the value/Bifrost tier as a reasonable step-up alternative.

Looking forward to a demo! It's hard to hit two home runs in the same inning... but... ve shall see... I'll bring my glove just in case...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back