Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #256 of 2,480
Quote:
Curious where the Parasound ZDac lands among these two DACs? Is it in the same league as the Concero? ZDac seems like a lot of bang for the buck (balanced out, multiple inputs, and headphone amp). However, I'm not sure what to make of the 40ohm headphone output impedance. I see a spec like that and it makes me question ALL of their design decisions.

My review of the Zdac should be posting at InnerFidelity, approximately "whenever Tyll feels like it". I'd say it's roughly in the same league as Concero, possibly just a hair behind in sonics but with a larger feature set. It's slightly warmer sounding than Concero though and could be a better fit in certain systems.

The 40 ohm output impedance has been changed to 10 ohms after the initial run. Any newly purchased units will have the 10 ohm spec. It's not ideal for IEMs but works well with lots of headphones and sounds great in the process. 

Quote:
I suppose the Concero doesn't work with iPad + CCK as transport without a powered hub?

John Darko just covered the Concero in the new ToneAudio. Towards the end, he mentions using Concero with an iPad, CCK, and the iFi iUSBPower. So that definitely works, but I don't believe it works on its own with no external power. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #257 of 2,480
I contacted Matrix thru their site I cannot get an X Sabre now, its in production and wont be available until the end of March. It wasnt Arthur that answered  my email tho it was 'Zeng' from China. I really hope there isnt any production delays.

You went through the Matrix USA site?

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #258 of 2,480
I meant to post that in the Xsabre thread, stupid iphone. I just realised that there were 2 different sites but very similiar, kind of threw me off. I did indeed send to the wrong one. Sending a message now to matrix usa thanks.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #259 of 2,480
Nice review by Darko. Guys want to ask your advice. Which portable amp can you recommend for concero? Feel like that on the table was occupied by a minimum space. No player, amp will always be on the table.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #260 of 2,480
Quote:
Nice review by Darko. Guys want to ask your advice. Which portable amp can you recommend for concero? Feel like that on the table was occupied by a minimum space. No player, amp will always be on the table.

Could you still use a desktop amp if it was a small one? The Lake People G103 sounds quite good for the price and takes up very little room. Apex Butte is also very compact with great sound. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #261 of 2,480
How warm sounding is the Concero? Sabre DACs sometimes (not always) sound a little lean to my ears. I'm just asking because I've noticed a lot of people seem to use the Concero with tubes somewhere in the chain, perhaps to warm up the sound a little.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #262 of 2,480
How warm sounding is the Concero? Sabre DACs sometimes (not always) sound a little lean to my ears. I'm just asking because I've noticed a lot of people seem to use the Concero with tubes somewhere in the chain, perhaps to warm up the sound a little.

The sound is the same in frequency balance to my sabre DAC and I use SS :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #263 of 2,480
Is there anything with a similar character as the Concero that allows both USB and SPDIF inputs at the same time? I know the X-sabre fits the bill but that's a little out of my price range. What offerings in the same ballpark would do this at $200-$500 (both at the lower end and upper end of this price range)?

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #264 of 2,480
Quote:

Could you still use a desktop amp if it was a small one? The Lake People G103 sounds quite good for the price and takes up very little room. Apex Butte is also very compact with great sound. 

Dont see this items sale on headfi or doctorhead (russian headfi). How about asgard 2 it's better? Want to keep within the amount of $ 300

New review - http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/03/resonessence-labs-concero-review-toneaudio/

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #267 of 2,480
Dead Neutral. I have a Dared tube preamp. that warms it up a bit. The biggest improvement Ive heard from the COncero is the new integer mode from Audirvana 1.4.6 Really made the sound full and bass tight with more texture all around. Weird, Im not sure what he did. So everything in the audio chain counts..
I might be getting a Ayon Spirit 2 integrated... not sure yet, but will probably warm sound more.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #269 of 2,480
Is there a reason the Wyred4sound uDAC isn't more popular around here? On paper at least, it seems like a pretty decent unit with comparable specs and features as the Concero and other ES9023 based DACs. And with the track record of Wyred with their higher end DAC-2 seems to bode well for its implementation and performance. That and it's pretty affordable to boot.

I can't seem to find any substantial reviews or impressions of it, especially comparing it to direct competitors in the same price range. I'm just wondering if there are any red flags that I seemed to have missed 
size]

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #270 of 2,480
Quote:
Dont see this items sale on headfi or doctorhead (russian headfi). How about asgard 2 it's better? Want to keep within the amount of $ 300

New review - http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/03/resonessence-labs-concero-review-toneaudio/

Contact Lake People for direct purchase, or go through Thomann

Quote:

I think asgard 2 better when ican. Asgard price 249 vs ifi ican price 300 = Asgard no chance.

I'm not so sure. I haven't heard either, but the iFi stuff seems very well designed based on what I've read. I wouldn't discount it just because it's smaller than the Asgard 2. 

Quote:
I'm also considering this DAC. Checking their web site, it seems they will have something new to show at the SSI Show in Montreal, March 21-24. Should be interesting.

Yes, some exciting new stuff coming from Resonessence Labs soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back