Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Feb 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #226 of 2,480
Quote:
It doesn't seem very significant. I suppose if you had some headphone amp that barely reached adequate levels with your favorites headphones, then maybe the Concero would be too quiet as compared to another unit with 2Vrms output. Seems an unlikely scenario though. 

Quote:
I still have a ridiculous amount of gain. I cant get past 11 on the preamp dial. I am running speakers and havent tested headphones though.

good to know. Thanks so much.  Looks like I'll order one of these for a test drive next week. I'll be running speakers as well.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #227 of 2,480
Has anyone compared this to other Saber 9023 implementations like the ODAC or Wyred4Sound uDAC?  I don't think the ODAC has an output stage, like the Concero, but it puts out the full 2vrms and is supposed to test near the best the 9023 can do.  I am assuming the USB implementation is better for the Concero and that the filters could improve the sound.  I don't need the USB to spdif functionality, so am having a hard time justifying the $500 difference in my mind.  I know implementation is everything, but it just feels weird to pay $600 for something that shares the same core.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #228 of 2,480
I've not heard those others but the Peachtree DAC-iT has the ES9022 which seems nearly identical to the ES9023. And although I was mighty impressed with the Peachtree unit, I felt the Concero was clearly the superior DAC overall.

So yes, there's some room for differences despite the similarities. But by all means, if the budget is tight, I'm sure the ODAC is a good value for the money. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #232 of 2,480
LoL Their website just hacked some islomisty
confused.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #235 of 2,480
My informal consensus indicates the first filter is the best. I suggest using one. For some reason, default mode sounds a bit uninspired (echoing Srajan's findings in the 6moons review).

You can buy an Apple remote separately. They are not expensive.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #236 of 2,480
Quote:
But i dont have apple PC, you think it's not problem? I have laptop Acer 5750G with Windows 8 
frown.gif
  Standard filter sounds good? He is the best?

The remote interfaces directly with an infrared receiver in the DAC to change filters and therefore it doesn't matter if your using MAC/PC or other transport.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #240 of 2,480
Quote:
Thank you guys. I ask Mark about dsd support on concero нere is his answer - Yes, We plan to make an announcement later this month, early next month.
Mark M 
biggrin.gif
 I do not believe, do you?

That's strange, I thought the ES9023 wasn't DSD compatible.  Unless maybe they program the firmware to convert DSD to PCM or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back