Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #2,071 of 2,480
Just an update on my Concero HD that was sent back to Resonessence Labs for warranty repair. Mark Mallinson emailed me today that the unit has been repaired and is being shipped to me tomorrow via Fedex. Apparently a fuse blew and part of the circuitry was damaged. The whole board was replaced and underwent testing.

I tried to inquire about this failure, mainly what caused it. So far no more info other than what I mentioned above. 

Being without the DAC for a month has been nuts for me since I don't have a comparable backup DAC. So, I am eager to listen to some music again when I get it back. 

May 3, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #2,073 of 2,480
  Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Concero HP. Solid build quality and everything, but I'm experiencing weird - for lack of a better word - noise issues.

This isn't the usual background hiss that I get from my MacBook Air's DAC, which is quiet and constant, increasing or decreasing in volume when I change settings. What I'm hearing is noise that presents itself in intervals that become shorter (faster) when I change filters via the unit. It also doesn't become softer or louder with a volume change. And it doesn't go away when I mute the device through software.

The noise is very audible on softer tracks (e.g. classical piano) but disappears with most louder tracks.

I'm out of options. I will appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

On my Concero DAC (not HP) I was getting a noticeable hiss that began right before I played any track and lingered for about 1 second after the track would finish.  This noise was in addition to the ambient background of the recording itself. I fiddled with the driver settings, and noticed that the hiss went away on any 24-bit combination.  Something about the up-sampling generated some extra noise, I think.

May 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,074 of 2,480
On my Concero DAC (not HP) I was getting a noticeable hiss that began right before I played any track and lingered for about 1 second after the track would finish.  This noise was in addition to the ambient background of the recording itself. I fiddled with the driver settings, and noticed that the hiss went away on any 24-bit combination.  Something about the up-sampling generated some extra noise, I think.

Interesting. I never had any hiss but I always set everything to 24 bit.

May 28, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2,077 of 2,480
I realise that it will handle most any signal rate, and will indeed do some nice upsampling using the inbuilt filters, but most DACs usually still have a logical sweet spot in terms of where they best handle processing (a native rate, etc).

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #2,080 of 2,480
Hey guys,

I own the Concero HP and I love it! I have a basic question about something that's confusing me though:

When comparing the Concero HD and Concero HP, some people have pointed out that the Concero HD can be connected to an external amplifier for more options in sound. I'm wondering why you can't just connect the Concero HP to an external amplifier with a 1/4 inch to RCA adapter. Well, I guess you CAN do it, but my question is, is doing this somehow worse than connecting it through the unamplified RCA outputs on the Concero HD?

I read another review of another product which had both options, and the reviewer implied that it's fine to connect the headphone out to an external amplifier, saying that all you have to do is use an adapter and you can connect the headphone out to an external amplifier. This reviewer was implying that the only obstacle to doing this is the physical format of the connection, and that the adapter would allow you to do it, but then other reviewers seem to imply that could there be an amplification issue as well. As John Grandberg pointed out in his awesome review of the Concero HP (thanks for that review, John!) - "The Concero HP, however, does not have RCA outputs. It's strictly a headphone only device," and mentioned that it would be nice if there was a hybrid version of the HD and HP, to give the user the option to use it with headphones or with an external amp. But here's my question, is it really "strictly" a headphone-only device? I'm assuming it would still sound pretty good when connected to an external amplifier through an adapter, but is there a qualitative difference in the sound between doing it this way and doing it with the Concero HD RCA outs?

I know that amps color or alter the sound somewhat, but as John states in his review of the Concero HP, the amps it uses are really well integrated into the system and really bring the DAC to life. While they cannot be separated out of the circuit, they do a good job of making the most out of the DAC at every volume level. I just don't know enough about amplification, so I don't really understand what exactly  the problem is with amplifying the headphone out on the Concero HP.

I own an RME ADI 2, which I sometimes use with my main speaker system. It has both options - balanced XLR and 1/4 inch analog outs on the back, and a headphone amplifier in the front for D/A monitoring. I haven't built the proper cables for the outputs in the back yet, so I've just been using the headphone amplifier in the front through a 1/4 inch adapter connected to my amplifier, and it sounds great. Would it sound different, or better, if it were connected through the unamplified analog outs in the back? Right now I think it sounds fine. I just have to make sure that the headphone out is not turned up too loud, and I look for a sweet spot in the amplification chain, where it isn't being amped too much or too little before reaching my speaker amplifier. I've never tried connecting it through the unamplified outs in the back, but I'm wondering if there would be any real difference? Maybe the differences would only be noticeable in a really high-end setup with much better speakers and a much better amplifier? (I'm just connecting this to a vintage Sanyo amplifier and vintage Luxman speakers - really good, but not incredible).

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #2,081 of 2,480
  Hey guys,

I own the Concero HP and I love it! I have a basic question about something that's confusing me though:

When comparing the Concero HD and Concero HP, some people have pointed out that the Concero HD can be connected to an external amplifier for more options in sound. I'm wondering why you can't just connect the Concero HP to an external amplifier with a 1/4 inch to RCA adapter. Well, I guess you CAN do it, but my question is, is doing this somehow worse than connecting it through the unamplified RCA outputs on the Concero HD?

I read another review of another product which had both options, and the reviewer implied that it's fine to connect the headphone out to an external amplifier, saying that all you have to do is use an adapter and you can connect the headphone out to an external amplifier. This reviewer was implying that the only obstacle to doing this is the physical format of the connection, and that the adapter would allow you to do it, but then other reviewers seem to imply that could there be an amplification issue as well. As John Grandberg pointed out in his awesome review of the Concero HP (thanks for that review, John!) - "The Concero HP, however, does not have RCA outputs. It's strictly a headphone only device," and mentioned that it would be nice if there was a hybrid version of the HD and HP, to give the user the option to use it with headphones or with an external amp. But here's my question, is it really "strictly" a headphone-only device? I'm assuming it would still sound pretty good when connected to an external amplifier through an adapter, but is there a qualitative difference in the sound between doing it this way and doing it with the Concero HD RCA outs?

I know that amps color or alter the sound somewhat, but as John states in his review of the Concero HP, the amps it uses are really well integrated into the system and really bring the DAC to life. While they cannot be separated out of the circuit, they do a good job of making the most out of the DAC at every volume level. I just don't know enough about amplification, so I don't really understand what exactly  the problem is with amplifying the headphone out on the Concero HP.

I own an RME ADI 2, which I sometimes use with my main speaker system. It has both options - balanced XLR and 1/4 inch analog outs on the back, and a headphone amplifier in the front for D/A monitoring. I haven't built the proper cables for the outputs in the back yet, so I've just been using the headphone amplifier in the front through a 1/4 inch adapter connected to my amplifier, and it sounds great. Would it sound different, or better, if it were connected through the unamplified analog outs in the back? Right now I think it sounds fine. I just have to make sure that the headphone out is not turned up too loud, and I look for a sweet spot in the amplification chain, where it isn't being amped too much or too little before reaching my speaker amplifier. I've never tried connecting it through the unamplified outs in the back, but I'm wondering if there would be any real difference? Maybe the differences would only be noticeable in a really high-end setup with much better speakers and a much better amplifier? (I'm just connecting this to a vintage Sanyo amplifier and vintage Luxman speakers - really good, but not incredible).

You could, but you'd be running the signal through the Concero HP's amp as well...so unless you don't mind "double amping" it would work. I find the beauty of the HP is the all-in-one desktop solution for when space is really limited.

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #2,082 of 2,480
  Hey guys, ..............

I just sold my DAC, so I'm using the HP as a DAC (for now) connected to my HeadAmp Gs-1 and MAD Ear +HD amps. The sweet spot for me around 76 - 82 on the volume of the HP. If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters! 
wink.gif

BTW, this brings me to my next question for anybody that has any experience with this: has anybody here tried/compared the Chord Hugo to the Concero HP? I was looking at the Schiit Yggy, but the Hugo fits my needs better. Anyhow, I'm looking to "upgrade" my Concero HP with the Hugo, so just wanted to hear if any of you guys heard it and if you had an impression of it.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,083 of 2,480
You could, but you'd be running the signal through the Concero HP's amp as well...so unless you don't mind "double amping" it would work. I find the beauty of the HP is the all-in-one desktop solution for when space is really limited.

Right. That's why I, for one, would be delighted to see Resonessence release a "Concero2" with a headphone output and fixed-level analog outputs (preferably balanced XLR, but can live with RCA). Although I have found double-amping to be more of a problem in theory than in practice.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #2,084 of 2,480
I just sold my DAC, so I'm using the HP as a DAC (for now) connected to my HeadAmp Gs-1 and MAD Ear +HD amps. The sweet spot for me around 76 - 82 on the volume of the HP. If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters! :wink:

BTW, this brings me to my next question for anybody that has any experience with this: has anybody here tried/compared the Chord Hugo to the Concero HP? I was looking at the Schiit Yggy, but the Hugo fits my needs better. Anyhow, I'm looking to "upgrade" my Concero HP with the Hugo, so just wanted to hear if any of you guys heard it and if you had an impression of it.

I have tried the Hugo, and couldn't get past its ergonomics. You cannot control its headphone output volume and use fixed level RCA output at the same time. So if I want to plug IEMs into the Hugo and also run its DAC output to an electrostatic rig, no dice. For the price, it's not an acceptable tradeoff for my use case.

As far as simple headphone output goes, the Concero HP is hard to beat IMO. I recently finished building a fully-balanced Dynalo (similar circuit to the Headamp GS-X), and I wouldn't say the HP is light years behind it.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,085 of 2,480
  Hey guys,

I've used the HP in such a way with no problem.  The biggest difference is at max volume, it will put out a 4v signal.  It's not an extra output stage compared to the HD, Just higher output with lower impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back